The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lindsay Shepherd vs Wilfrid Laurier University

Dral

Just wondering if anyone heard about this little gem...

Man, she is sooooo damn sexy

http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/wallace-lindsay-shepherd-lays-bare-ideological-divide-on-canadian-campuses

Shepherd’s story has now been broadly told – a teaching assistant at Wilfrid Laurier University – who had the unmitigated and insensitive gall to play a short TVO clip to her class of UofT professor Jordan Peterson debating gender-neutral pronouns, which they were studying, without demonizing Peterson to her first-year class.

Summarily hauled before her professors, Shepherd was accused of violating Laurier’s Gendered and Sexual Violence policy, creating a “toxic climate” in her class and (wrongly) accused of breaking the law.

Bullied to the point of tears, Shepherd nevertheless had the foresight and wit to tape her inquisition and release it publicly, which subsequently resulted in an apology from the university.

If this is what our Canadian Universities are pushing these days, this is truly frightening.   The young lady didn't even seem to share the politics of the point of view they seem so afraid of but to deny that there are a spectrum of opinions and to deny them from academic debate is "wow".  Also, to think that someone in a university would "complain" about being provided too broad of an opinion piece says that person really isn't ready for "university" and fails to understand the very meaning of the word.

Universities.

The higher education centers.  As long as you don't debate anything, try to learn anything or think outside of the prescribed boxes you're allowed.

Sadly this has been happening since I left Carleton in 2001.  Just getting worse.

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Universities.

The higher education centers.  As long as you don't debate anything, try to learn anything or think outside of the prescribed boxes you're allowed.

Sadly this has been happening since I left Carleton in 2001.  Just getting worse.

I listened to the entire tape she made and I could only think "wow, what narrow minded people" we have allowed to get to that position in our universities.   I thought the entire point of having universities was higher education and to do exactly what she was trying to do - have informed discussions.   The definition of university is "a whole" or "the whole" which taken into the perspective of discussion, doesn't translate to "just one perspective or politically correct band of narrow-mindedness" .   She sure comes across as a strong person and I hope her "coming out" with this is the start of many more in our universities doing the same as I strongly suspect this crap is going on across Canada. 

When science proves, outside of a minute amount of genetic anomalies, that there are more than 2 genders then I will take part. Until then, there are 2 and you don't get to make up extra.

Example of a conversation I had recently. I told a lesbian couple that my wife is friends with, as are our kids, about names. They wish they wouldn't have named their daughter (and for all intents and purposes let's call her Rachael) for the name is feminine. They suddenly feel that children names should not be placed until the children are able to know what their gender is. 

Sorry folks, this is not right. They felt my son shouldn't be named 'Peter' and my daughter should not be named 'Sarah' because they don't 'know' their gender yet. 

Where does it stop? Science says 2 genders with a few (and it's something like .0003%) that are anomalies. Pronouns are in there as well until science, all science, says otherwise. 

Otherwise, people will start doing this like identifying as Aboriginal and claiming land rights and so on. It's a disgrace. Sorry if anyone is offended but the naming of my children convo is recent and then this again. 

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I listened to the entire tape she made and I could only think "wow, what narrow minded people" we have allowed to get to that position in our universities.   I thought the entire point of having universities was higher education and to do exactly what she was trying to do - have informed discussions.   The definition of university is "a whole" or "the whole" which taken into the perspective of discussion, doesn't translate to "just one perspective or politically correct band of narrow-mindedness" .   She sure comes across as a strong person and I hope her "coming out" with this is the start of many more in our universities doing the same as I strongly suspect this crap is going on across Canada. 

100% agreed.

Most of the issues surrounding universities are not PC students.  But PC leadership.  It isn't a left thing or a right thing

it's people who re far to enamoured with their own opinion

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

100% agreed.

Most of the issues surrounding universities are not PC students.  But PC leadership.  It isn't a left thing or a right thing

Sounds like this forum!   :lol:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3108-1428353864-7.g

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

100% agreed.

I'd add to that spineless university administration. They are so afraid of any kind of conflict that they will simply fire or shut down people for having... gasp... an opinion. Add to that risk management has become utterly ridiculous and you get this kind of story. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Universities.

I'm surprised that in my computer science course people didn't freak out when computer or network cables were identified as having either male or female connectors. 

This trend seems prevalent around all of Canada and the US these days, though oddly enough only by those in power at universities. It seems the majority (on both sides of the spectrum) wants to have open conversation, but a select few in power seem to restrict it. It's encouraging at least to see the general consensus on CDC.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I couldn't get through the entire tape, it was so brutal, I could only handle it in chunks...

The REALLY scary thing about this and I've said it for a while now, is that the people who are really deep in this SJW cult are going to be the next generation of teachers.... Lindsay Shepherd said the biggest group that is sending her hate mail are PH.D students... (the next generation of university professors)... these ideas are also deeply ingrained in the arts and humanities, and as someone who has a degree in that field, the only real job you get after getting a degree there is highschool teacher (I generalize, but not by much)

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

This trend seems prevalent around all of Canada and the US these days, though oddly enough only by those in power at universities. It seems the majority (on both sides of the spectrum) wants to have open conversation, but a select few in power seem to restrict it. It's encouraging at least to see the general consensus on CDC.

There are a lot of students who are buying into these ideas as well... have you seen any of Jordan Peterson videos where he tries to talk to the students about his stance? It's pretty scary as well.... and as Lindsay Shepherd said in one of the interviews, the biggest group that is sending her hate mail over this are PH.D students

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Universities.

It gets even more sad when you realize this is where your tax dollars are going

Archived