The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Game Experience is Awful

Canucks1000

I just wanted to say, I was very disappointed tonight at the game. Not in the team, or the product on the ice, but in the experience.

I was sitting beside a couple who was in from London, England. It was their first time watching an ice hockey game, let along a Canucks game, and they were cheering our team on like nobody else, at the top of their lungs, cheering for the Canucks. Like someone would watching English soccer.

About eight minutes left in the game, this freaking usher comes over and tells them they need to keep it down, that they’re disturbing other fans, and not to use any profanity (they weren't using that much of it).

This is why our arena is half empty. It’s not the product on the ice. It’s not the team. It’s this. I was embarrassed for our team, our city and our league in that moment.

I hope they decide to take in another Canucks game. They immediately quieted down completely after the usher came over. Very disappointing.

What's more, about 20 minutes earlier that same usher had come down given a couple of free beers to two of his buddies sitting two rows down who were bragging about it.

As a season ticket holder I expect better.

7 minutes ago, Canucks1000 said:

I just wanted to say, I was very disappointed tonight at the game. Not in the team, or the product on the ice, but in the experience.

I was sitting beside a couple who was in from London, England. It was their first time watching an ice hockey game, let along a Canucks game, and they were cheering our team on like nobody else, at the top of their lungs, cheering for the Canucks. Like someone would watching English soccer.

About eight minutes left in the game, this freaking usher comes over and tells them they need to keep it down, that they’re disturbing other fans, and not to use any profanity (they weren't using that much of it).

This is why our arena is half empty. It’s not the product on the ice. It’s not the team. It’s this. I was embarrassed for our team, our city and our league in that moment.

I hope they decide to take in another Canucks game. They immediately quieted down completely after the usher came over. Very disappointing.

What's more, about 20 minutes earlier that same usher had come down given a couple of free beers to two of his buddies sitting two rows down who were bragging about it.

As a season ticket holder I expect better.

Agreed, pretty lame response from the Canucks Org. Sad to hear.

1 minute ago, Roberts said:

Adding on to that, the intro song is obnoxious and they really do not play good music there anymore from what I've heard.

Green day & U2 streets have no name were the best..

This was a big comment from the English fans. Actually, they commented that the music sucked and there was too much of it.

They also pointed out how many stops in play there are and how many TV time outs to clean the ice. The pace of the game has really, really slowed down. And I definitely understand why the NHL is having trouble attracting new fans after seeing things from their perspective.

Also, this is my ignorance more than anything else...but I hadn't noticed it's now 18 minutes between periods. 18 Minutes! That is insane!

It is truly a shame that you give some people a bit of power and they abuse there authority,there is some goof that has now ruined a perfectly good fan experience in the name of the Canucks organization.

It 's hard to find the fine line in these situations, but a bit of common sense should prevail and not have some knucklehead usher making the decisions.I think training helps and teams of ushers to step in when a fight break out or the one usher is catering to his friends like he owns the place.Like I said, power can hurt some peoples fragile egos.

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

power tripping usher on his own agenda, doing and saying things not because it makes sense but because he can. security position has got to his head , probly bullied as a child.

I wish they had ushers who were actually hockey fans or at least knew about hockey

I've seen a couple of topics similar to this before and I've witnessed it a few times. I would've called that guy out. They don't understand that we can cheer and support our team. Sucks for the British couple, hopefully they enjoyed the game and that usher didn't ruin an exciting new experience for them.

Edit: I'm pretty pissed off about this.

18 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The NHL product is turning into an All Star game vibe. It’s like Women’s hockey in the way that the intimidation factor is all but gone. 

Tonights game might be my last for a good while. 

I will still watch from Home, but I’m not spending any money to watch. 

Sorry to hear you didn't like tonight's game.  Lots of good open ice hits and some serious skill showed by our kids.  Not sure what more you want  on the ice.

3 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I've been hearing about this issue for many years. The NHL overall is going downhill, at least IMHO. 

As have I. It just sort of hit me in the face tonight.

What they need to do is hire some English hooligans to come and improve the game day experience. Breathe some life into the crowd.

I have attended 2 live Canucks game so far (one last season, and one earlier this season), and my experience with it is that it really depends on the people in your section. Both times I sat at the lower bowl, and the 2nd time I was there, there were quite a few young adults/youth in our section and they were loud all night and no body complain (though overall our section is pretty quiet). I think we need to have ways to bring in passionate hockey fans to occupy atleast 1/3 of the seats in the lower bowl, the trend is that as long as there is a group of fans that starts to be cheering loud, the rest will join in and if the majority is loud, there is nothing the ushers could do about it.

I will be going to another game on the 17th against the Flames ::D as well as the one on Jan. 30th against the Avalanche ::D I will continue to experience the live game and see how it is each time :)

6 minutes ago, Canucks1000 said:

As have I. It just sort of hit me in the face tonight.

What they need to do is hire some English hooligans to come and improve the game day experience. Breathe some life into the crowd.

Same here, I've been feeling it this last year and a half, even when I watch 2 top teams play there games can be very boring. Also Rogers Arena isn't the always crowd that feels empty and quiet, a lot of other teams are dealing with the same problem, but our crowd looked great tonight.

Archived