The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US Recognizes Jerusalem As Capital of Israel

DonLever

The Us has finally done it.  They recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-announcement-jerusalem-us-1.4435649

From the CBC:

U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday declared Jerusalem as Israel's capital, hailing it as "very fresh thinking" and a repudiation of "the same failed strategies of the past" employed by his predecessors.

"It is time to officially recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel," Trump said from the White House.

Trump also said he would direct the State Department to begin the process of moving the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

While Trump is fulfilling campaign promises domestically on both decisions, the U.S. risks infuriating the Muslim world, potentially sparking protests that could fray American alliances in the volatile Middle East.

Reactions from leaders in both the Mideast and around the world had already ranged from concern to alarm in anticipation of Trump's announcement.

Mahmoud Abbas, president of the Palestinian Authority, said Trump has destroyed America's credibility as a Mideast peace broker, adding in a televised statement that the decision "is a declaration of withdrawal from the role it has played in the peace process."

Jerusalem is the "eternal capital of the state of Palestine," he said.

Trump says U.S. still 'committed' to peace

Hamas, the militant group that controls Gaza, called Trump's recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital "flagrant aggression against the Palestinian people." Hamas urged Arabs and Muslims to "undermine the U.S. interests in the region."

Jerusalem's status is one of the most emotionally charged matters separating the Israelis and Palestinians. Both sides stake claims. Israel captured east Jerusalem — claimed by Palestinians for the capital of a future independent state — from Jordan in 1967 and annexed it, in a move not internationally recognized.

The U.S. Congress passed the Jerusalem Embassy Act in 1995, but every president since then has signed waivers to hold off moving the embassy.

"After more than two decades of waivers, we are no closer to a lasting peace agreement," Trump said Wednesday.

The embassy move would take years to complete, experts believe.

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, in Germany, called Trump's decision a "bold move," and said planning for a site for a Jerusalem embassy would begin immediately.

While acknowledging the policy shift could lead to disagreement and dissent, Trump said it should not be interpreted as being one-sided.

The U.S. was still "deeply committed" to facilitating a lasting peace agreement between the U.S. and the Palestinians, the president said. But that message comes after he has moved to restrict travel to the U.S. from several Muslim-majority countries and retweeted controversial memes concerning Islamist violence.

Netanyahu 'profoundly grateful'

In reaction to Trump's announcement Wednesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a pre-recorded speech that he was "profoundly grateful," calling it an essential step towards a peace process.

"There is no peace that doesn't include Jerusalem as the capital of Israel," he said.

Jerusalem's Old City is home to several Jewish, Christian and Muslim holy sites, and Netanyahu said "Israel will always ensure freedom of worship."

Danny Danon, Israel's ambassador to the United Nations, called it a "courageous decision" on Trump's part.

"In 1948, President Truman was the first world leader to recognize the State of Israel and today President Trump righted a historic wrong by recognizing Jerusalem as our capital," said Danon. "Now is the time for all UN member states to follow the lead of our American friends and recognize our ancient capital of Jerusalem as the capital."

But Antonio Guterres, secretary general of the UN, decried Trump's move while recognizing the "deep attachment" Jerusalem holds to many.

"In this moment of great anxiety, I want to make it clear: There is no alternative to the two-state solution. There is no Plan B," Guterres told reporters. "I will do everything in my power to support the Israeli and Palestinian leaders to return to meaningful negotiations."

French President Emmanuel Macron, at a news conference in Algiers, called Trump's announcement a "regrettable decision" that "goes against international law and all the resolutions of the UN Security Council."

Former UN secretary general Kofi Annan also criticized the U.S. president's move.

"There will be no lasting peace between Israelis and Palestinians unless both parties' rights and claims are respected in the historic city of Jerusalem," said Annan. "I deeply regret today's decision by the U.S. president."

Annan also urged those opposed to the decision to act "with restraint."

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Are people still listening to Trump? Who cares what that clown thinks.

Because until this horror show ends, he is the head of one of the most powerful countries in the world, with perhaps the largest military.  People are anxiously watching his every move waiting for him to piss off the leader of [insert country here] and start yet another war.

5 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Because until this horror show ends, he is the head of one of the most powerful countries in the world, with perhaps the largest military.  People are anxiously watching his every move waiting for him to piss off the leader of [insert country here] and start yet another war.

One of the most powerful, violent, and dangerous countries in the world. A country that is run by an administration that would gladly combine church and state, and lower the age of consent to whatever works for Roy Moore.

The United States will fall into civil unrest, and most likely war, within the next year. This move, which shows the American government's clear and unwavering support of Israel, will spark a newfound hatred for the West, which will in turn, spark a massive uptick in terrorist activity worldwide.

This was a bad idea that didn't come to pass with much in the way of either diplomacy or forethought. It will come at a high cost, that Republicans in Washington could give two $&!#s about.

So much for a two state peace plan.

Fortunately Canada won't follow Trump down this road, maybe under Harper but thankfully not now. I don't want to see any Canadian troops there either for the inevitable ramping up of conflict coming.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Simple minds make simple statements. You must be a big fan of Fox News.

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I'm not a terrorist or a Liberal.

You ignorant &^@#face

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock in the opinions of someone who named himself after Rush Limbaugh fans. 

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock in the opinions of someone who named himself after Rush Limbaugh fans. 

I thought it was after a Slayer song. Regardless, that kind of simplistic statement was begging for a reaction, and I can't resist.

6 minutes ago, Dittohead said:

Terrorists and liberals only ones against this.   seems about right.

Until people stop resorting to using party affiliations as a basis for argument, nothing is ever going to get better in the world.  There are far more ways to approach a problem than the ones proposed by, say the liberals/conservatives, or the democrats/republicans.  Get this, it's even possible to share ideals/beliefs from both sides of the political spectrum!  Who would have thought!? 

20 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Palestinians have their reasons.

Sure, I meant Canadians/Americans/etc.

20 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Its only the most fought over piece of land in history.

All for stupid reasons, and again, I don't know why we get involved. 

Sweet.  Let's bulldoze the rest of Palestine folks, Trump said it's OK

hard to worry about a 2 state solution when you don't have a land to claim anymore woot!

Let's completely forget the lessons of 1936 through 1945 and keep on keeping on

Trump said it's fine.

now if we can just get him to give us the OK on Iran everything will be osam!

If you cannot tell.  This is sarcasm

it seems the only people ok with this are those who cannot differentiate between anti-semetism and anti israelism or apartheid, those highest up in the Jewish Lobby in Washington, trump and Satan-Yahoo

All this will do will hasten the bulldozing of innocent Palestinians, give Netenyahu the belief he is allowed to continue the apartheid treatment of and annexation of Palestine all while continuing to push the divine belief that some magical sky man chose this group over some other magical sky mans other group.

When the entire world, even frigging Hassidic sects of Judaism are saying wtf you have to step back and question...WTF are you doing

9 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Until people stop resorting to using party affiliations as a basis for argument, nothing is ever going to get better in the world.  There are far more ways to approach a problem than the ones proposed by, say the liberals/conservatives, or the democrats/republicans.  Get this, it's even possible to share ideals/beliefs from both sides of the political spectrum!  Who would have thought!? 

Every argument about anything political turns into people slapping labels onto other large groups of people. Like you said, it's part of the reason why progress has been so slow to come by.

I refuse to take sides here because there isn't any benefit to it. Ultimately, it's humanity's pettiness that's holding back the evolution of society.

Archived