The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US Recognizes Jerusalem As Capital of Israel

DonLever

38 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I didn't say they shouldn't share. And I believe they will share access to muslim holy sites including Al Aqsa.  But I don't believe they will give up Jerusalem because they are a nuclear power and have the backing of a super power (US). There is no way they will give up Jerusalem. If anything they take more territories by the day. 

There are currently 600k settlers in the Palestinian lands. Increasing by the day. I don't think Israel gives up most of those let alone Jerusalem. 

There are doctors engineers etc. There are in Africa as well as other Arab countries. I just love the Jewish people and have a soft spot for them because of everything they've gone thru and still continue to thrive and lead the world in many fields even though there are only a few million of them. 

The Jewish people have undoubtedly suffered greatly in the past, but Israel seems to have forgotten this in their own oppression of the Palestinian people. What's worse is that there's denial of this on a national level, and that any criticism of the state of Israel is met with accusations of anti-semitism. They are not and should not be immune to criticism, and they should be brought to task for what is essentially genocidal behaviour.

The Jewish people have my respect but Israel certainly does not.

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Not sure I follow. Are you suggesting US should make all the jews move to the States or all the Palestinians?  Lets focus on reality on the ground. 

You suggested that Arab nations like Egypt, Jordan, and Syria could share their lands with the Palestinians, amounting in everyone winning. This was due to those countries having vast amounts of land.

My point was that the United States has even more land than all three of those countries, but is building walls, and banning travel from countries due to religion. Maybe they should welcome in the Palestinians instead.

Equally ridiculous notions. Maybe you should focus on the same reality.

Both Israel and Palestine feel that the land is theirs, with Palestine wanting the eastern portion of the city. Yet for some reason (oh yeah, nukes!) Israel is deemed to have the right to it all.

Maybe, just, maybe, they could actually broker a deal, but that looks nearly impossible now.

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You suggested that Arab nations like Egypt, Jordan, and Syria could share their lands with the Palestinians, amounting in everyone winning. This was due to those countries having vast amounts of land.

My point was that the United States has even more land than all three of those countries, but is building walls, and banning travel from countries due to religion. Maybe they should welcome in the Palestinians instead.

Equally ridiculous notions. Maybe you should focus on the same reality.

Both Israel and Palestine feel that the land is theirs, with Palestine wanting the eastern portion of the city. Yet for some reason (oh yeah, nukes!) Israel is deemed to have the right to it all.

Maybe, just, maybe, they could actually broker a deal, but that looks nearly impossible now.

Reality is those regions border Palestine, USA is oceans away. Another reality is there are millions of Palestinians in those lands already since previous wars in 1947 and 1967.

Why should Israel give up Jerusalem to muslims but other muslims won't give a piece of their land to to their own brothers and sisters. 

Palestinians have been in other Arab countries for generations. There are millions in Jordan. The right of return used to be a big issue but you don't hear about it much anymore.

Why can't neighbouring Arab countries give a bit of their land each to add on to Palestine and let Israel have a jewish country. THere approximately 50 muslim countries in the world. Only one jewish country and it's tiny.  

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Reality is those regions border Palestine, USA is oceans away. Another reality is there are millions of Palestinians in those lands already since previous wars in 1947 and 1967.

American forces don't seem to have any issue crossing the ocean, when it suits them to do so, for decades at a time.

Why should Israel give up Jerusalem to muslims but other muslims won't give a piece of their land to to their own brothers and sisters. 

Sharing the land, through a brokered peace deal would be the idea. Not handing it over to Palestine and vacating. That's lunacy. Not every Palestinian is a Muslim either.

Palestinians have been in other Arab countries for generations. There are millions in Jordan. The right of return used to be a big issue but you don't hear about it much anymore.

And Jews are all over the world. No issue with returning to Israel either, unless they skipped military service....

Why can't neighbouring Arab countries give a bit of their land each to add on to Palestine and let Israel have a jewish country. THere approximately 50 muslim countries in the world. Only one jewish country and it's tiny.  

Because both Palestine and Israel see that land as theirs. It's as simple as that. In some ways, it makes absolutely no sense, but that is the mindset of both peoples. Who is right in this instance? And who has the right to decide?

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

American forces don't seem to have any issue crossing the ocean, when it suits them to do so, for decades at a time.

Sharing the land, through a brokered peace deal would be the idea. Not handing it over to Palestine and vacating. That's lunacy. Not every Palestinian is a Muslim either.

And Jews are all over the world. No issue with returning to Israel either, unless they skipped military service....

Because both Palestine and Israel see that land as theirs. It's as simple as that. In some ways, it makes absolutely no sense, but that is the mindset of both peoples. Who is right in this instance? And who has the right to decide?

Listen Phillip. I'm not anti Palestinian. I feel their plight. This isn't about what should happen. This is about realities on the ground and best way forward to peace so little Palestinian children can dream about things other than becoming martyrs. I have children. I feel for them. 

I feel best way is either cancel the two state solution and Palestinians demand to be part of Israel as one nation and end apartheid. Second option is make the best deal possible, Take what you get, you're not getting Jerusalem, only access to Al Aqsa. You won't even get all the occupied territories back, Jerusalem is is a pipe dream.  Then ask neighbours to give a slice of pie each, very tiny slice, couple of hundred square miles each and make a country called Palestine. 

This back and forth and all the killing has to stop. And the longer it goes the more Palestinians die and lose their lands to settlers. Best make a deal and move forward. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Listen Phillip. I'm not anti Palestinian. I feel their plight. This isn't about what should happen. This is about realities on the ground and best way forward to peace so little Palestinian children can dream about things other than becoming martyrs. I have children. I feel for them. 

I never felt that you were anti-Palestine. If I did, I would say it.

I don't think you can simplify things to the point where Palestinian children only dream of being martyrs. That's akin to saying that little Israeli children only dream of being snipers or bankers.

I feel best way is either cancel the two state solution and Palestinians demand to be part of Israel as one nation and end apartheid. Second option is make the best deal possible, Take what you get, you're not getting Jerusalem, only access to Al Aqsa. You won't even get all the occupied territories back, Jerusalem is is a pipe dream.  Then ask neighbours to give a slice of pie each, very tiny slice, couple of hundred square miles each and make a country called Palestine. 

All those scenarios are pipe dreams, because Israel has the backing of the United States, so they will always have the upper hand.

It would be beautiful to think that both nations could come to a truly lasting accord, but the bad blood between the two is entrenched, in decades of bloodshed and war. However, only one of those nations is the oppressor.

This back and forth and all the killing has to stop. And the longer it goes the more Palestinians die and lose their lands to settlers. Best make a deal and move forward. 

The best deal could have been brokered, but now?

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

I get that. No argument. 

Arabs have vast lands. Perhaps Jordan Syria and Egypt can share with their Arab/muslim brethren. Everyone wins. 

Aren’t there sects of Muslims that kind of hate each other though: Sunni and Shi’a?  Interesting that Christians in Palestine dont like the Israel government.  I guess living here, where we don’t really care about ethnicity and religion, and just accept people for being...people, it’s hard to understand those peoples’ feelings Over there.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Aren’t there sects of Muslims that kind of hate each other though: Sunni and Shi’a?  Interesting that Christians in Palestine dont like the Israel government.  I guess living here, where we don’t really care about ethnicity and religion, and just accept people for being...people, it’s hard to understand those peoples’ feelings Over there.

* F'n citation needed, bruh. 

18 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I think that we as Canadians like to pat ourselves on the back and say that we are but in practice, nah, there's still a fair amount of casual bigotry thrown around. 

Certainly we have ignorant people for sure.  I just think Canadians are (generally) willing to learn about other people, and through that experience don’t fear their differences, but instead find them interesting.  Then, over time, everyone is kind of accepted and becomes part of the entire landscape.  Of course we are not perfect, but I really believe the vast majority of us good people.

3 hours ago, The Sedge said:

Because until this horror show ends, he is the head of one of the most powerful countries in the world, with perhaps the largest military.  People are anxiously watching his every move waiting for him to piss off the leader of [insert country here] and start yet another war.

Huh, has Trump already started a war, then?

I thought starting wars and destabalizing regimes was Obama's and Hillary's job.

Archived