The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] would you/won’t you: Louis Eriksson for Milan Lucic

On 12/6/2017 at 10:06 PM, Canadian Clay said:

The two big-fish, free agents of 2016. Identical 6 yr 36 million dollar contracts for “top 6” left wingers. Would you swap, 1 for 1, Eriksson for Lucic?

Lucic: probably good for 40-50 points, big hits, will drop the gloves, weak defensively, slow

Eriksson: probably 30-40 points, sound defensively, top pk winger in Canucks, “soft”, not very big, a couple years older

who would you rather have? Personally, I think I’d rather stick with Eriksson. 

Edit: correction - as others have pointed out, Lucic sign for 7 years, Eriksson for 6. 

It is not what they signed for but what is left,  LE has 4 years left and though the hit is the same, he salary drops to 5 and then 4 and 4.   Last two years also into a modified NTC which makes him far more movable (both the clause and the money) than if he had NMC and not a declining salary.

Lucic has 5 more  years left and his salary does some odd up/down but also shows some decline.   The number of years left is key and he goes to a modified NMC for last two years (not NTC) which is harder to deal with.

Money and length of contract aside, LE can still skate for today's game and looks like one of those guys who will have wheels forever (Marleau type).   Lucic has always been slower and last year put that to a new form by finding even thicker mud to try and get through.   I think the miles on Lucic are showing .... plays a physical game and it has taken a toll.

Archived