The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Seattle to begin season ticket drive, aiming for 2021 entry to NHL

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

21 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

As long as the uniforms are better than what they wore during the PCHA days. :lol:

I'd never actually looked up their hockey sweaters before, haha. More like the Seattle Christmas-ers.

• Like 1

Seattle is home to Amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks, and Valve. A new office for Facebook was just built there too. They'll have the corporate dollars to help buy out boxes + Seattle is a sports town. Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders always get good turnouts -- good or bad. They unjustly lost their NBA team too.

Honestly, this would be great news for the Canucks. A regional rival that's within driving distance. We haven't even had the chance to see something like this since the Grizzlies/SuperSonics days and that didnt get much of a chance to get going in terms of a true rivalry.

The NHL is likely going to use the expansion as a way to stop a potential NHL lockout. A new team will mean 50 more NHL contracts can be signed + 22 guaranteed NHL jobs + money that goes to the NHLPA + money going into the Owners pockets. A win, win, win, win. Makes sense.

Question, though, is if Seattle enters the Pacific will that mean Arizona moves divisions? The Pacific Division cant possibly have 9 teams in it + Arizona is closer to Dallas then Vancouver.

I like this.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, combover said:

No to expansion. 

Did you really think they would stay at 31 teams?  I think relocation will happen at some point too.  Maybe even sooner.  The Thrashers move to Winnipeg seemed to come from out of nowhere.  That might happen with Arizona to Houston as Houston already has an arena, ready to go and Arizona is running out of options.

As for Seattle, I'm excited.  My only reservation as I think this will likely hurt both the Thunderbirds and Silvertips.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see them both surviving in the shadow of a Seattle NHL team.

56 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Seattle is home to Amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks, and Valve. A new office for Facebook was just built there too. They'll have the corporate dollars to help buy out boxes + Seattle is a sports town. Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders always get good turnouts -- good or bad. They unjustly lost their NBA team too.

Honestly, this would be great news for the Canucks. A regional rival that's within driving distance. We haven't even had the chance to see something like this since the Grizzlies/SuperSonics days and that didnt get much of a chance to get going in terms of a true rivalry.

The NHL is likely going to use the expansion as a way to stop a potential NHL lockout. A new team will mean 50 more NHL contracts can be signed + 22 guaranteed NHL jobs + money that goes to the NHLPA + money going into the Owners pockets. A win, win, win, win. Makes sense.

Question, though, is if Seattle enters the Pacific will that mean Arizona moves divisions? The Pacific Division cant possibly have 9 teams in it + Arizona is closer to Dallas then Vancouver.

I like this.

can add boeing, even if their head office had moved to Chicago.  They have factories in WA.

• Upvote 1

So if expansion is for the  2020/21 season then we should be fine for some of our ELCs like Gadjovich, Pettersson, and Juolevi who can slide but I'm not sure about Dahlen's status, if he can slide one more season or not. Loui E also has a modified-NTC at that point, not a NMC. 

Some of the most difficult decisions will come on D... we may be in a position like Nashville and be forced to lose a really good D. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

As much as I'd like it to be Edmonton, I think Vegas makes the most sense to move. It would be unfair for the Pacific to have two expansion teams. 

3 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

I am not convinced Seattle has enough interest.

The place does not scream hockey hotbed to me. lol

TJ Oshie, Tyler Johnson, Yamamoto are some guys from washington state, Spokane, Everett and Seattle support WHL teams so I think there actually is a lot of potential there

• Upvote 2

I am excited. This is a team I love now and may hate later when they become a rival but I love that the Canucks could finally have a natural rival.

As for Quebec, hopefully the NHL will come to its senses and allow a team bleeding money to move there but other location like Houston and Kansas City also been courting the league for a while.

****Go Seattle Sasquatch*****

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

As much as I'd like it to be Edmonton, I think Vegas makes the most sense to move. It would be unfair for the Pacific to have two expansion teams. 

Geographically, Vegas is closer to California then Arizona, so, as weird as it would be for 2 expansion teams to be in the Pacific, it makes the most sense for a Seattle franchise and VGK to be in the same division. If the NHL thought Vegas should have been in the Central, they would have placed them there this year.

58 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Geographically, Vegas is closer to California then Arizona, so, as weird as it would be for 2 expansion teams to be in the Pacific, it makes the most sense for a Seattle franchise and VGK to be in the same division. If the NHL thought Vegas should have been in the Central, they would have placed them there this year.

true, it'll be one of those two for sure. 

Good luck to our future bitter rivals the Seatlle Stealth. If they are granted the same drafting privileges as Vegas, the franchise will be the talk of the town!

Quebec will be granted a franchise in the future too by relocation is my guess.

Edited by 6string

22 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Seattle doesn't deserve a team over Quebec.  Period.  An NHL team is their distant second choice.  That new building is their way of trying to get their basketball team back.

https://sports.yahoo.com/hope-alive-seattles-quest-get-another-nba-team-041200484.html

SEA expansion to 32 teams and then ARZ to Houston and CAR to Quebec relocation fees, makes an awful of of sense.

• Upvote 2