The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaunce has absolutely no offensive skills

gradin123

Brendan Gaunce NHL Career 90 GP 1 G 6 A 7PTS. That is barely above some goalies.

7 Points in 90 games, 2 of those points have come on empty netters! I know he is a decent defensive player but still a NHL forward has to do more than that. He is the definition of a plug.He actually has been getting quite a few minutes lately too and even had some chances in the offensive zone but whenever he does get a chance he seems to fumble around with the puck and the chance disappears. It is clearly obvious he has no offensive skills whatsoever and it is almost comical how inept he looks at time whenever he gets a chance. He essentially has been playing the Dorsett role ever since Derek got hurt but unlike Derek, Gaunce has contributed nothing offensively.

Bring up Boucher and give him a shot. Canucks are in need of more offense without Horvat and Gaunce just doesn't give them that.

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Dont be a jerk. Gaunce played well tonight.  

LOL. He actually had a few offensive chances but fumbled away all of them badly. I didn't even manage to get a shot on goal depite the fact I know he had a couple of scoring opportunities.

In what manner did Gaunce play well tonight? 

He has played a lot recently on the penalty kill and the Canucks penalty kill has sucked recently. Coincidence?

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

in seriousness though, pretty sure this didnt need its own thread

Well there is no generic thread about Gaunce. At least none that I could see. Are we just suppose to ignore as fans that this guy continually contributes nothing offensively.

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

I think he's been getting better each game, just struggling to get that 1st goal. He might need the Loui treatment by scoring an empty netter to get him started, but I don't want his 1st to be like that.

He didn't have a goal last year. He has gone over a full NHL season without a goal. His only NHL goal came in the 2nd game.

He now has gone 88 straight games without a goal. 

10 minutes ago, gradin123 said:

LOL. He actually had a few offensive chances but fumbled away all of them badly. I don't even manage to get a shot on goal.

In what manner did Gaunce play well tonight? 

He has played a lot recently on the penalty kill and the Canucks penalty kill has sucked recently. Coincidence?

He's not in the lineup to score goals. He's in a defensive shutdown role on the 4th line. Do you honestly think Reid Boucher would be a better fit there? I'm a Reid Boucher fan and even I'm not that blind. Gaunce is fine. He's big, strong, defensively responsible and getting better with every game played. Look at Raffl for Philly. It's amazing what a goal can do for someone's confidence. 

I'm more concerned about Gagner, who doesn't seem to be doing much of anything these days. If anything we should sub in Boucher for him. 

1 minute ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

gaunce is a role player. i never once saw this guy with tremendous offensive upside. anyone who was ever wishing big things from this guy were kidding themselves

I'm not saying he has to has tremendous upside, I am saying any NHL forward who is playing any role and playing more than 10 minutes a game should contribute at least 5 goals and 15 points a year. Gaunce hasn't scored in his last 88 games. He has to contribute something offensively if he wants to be a NHL forward. No?

Guance handles the puck like a grenade but hits like a bunker buster.

HIs game is solid defensively, awesome on the PK and closing out games with a lead.

The flip side like tonight when trailing by one or two he should sit, he struggles with the offensive side of the game. I hope he can pop one soon, time is running out.

3 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

His AHL numbers are pretty decent. Maybe he's just unlucky?

88 straight games? That would be really unlucky. His only POINT this year came on an empty net goal. The only player I could compare him to recently is maybe Adam Pardy?

Gaunce should have more points, and he is great defensively.  He is maybe the best forward on this team on the boards, and maybe also the strongest puck defender.

I would like to see him put with some more offensively minded players for a few games.  Goldy Gaunce Virt.  They know each other from Utica.

I am not ready to give up on Gaunce just yet.

I like the way Gaunce plays but there is no denying that we could upgrade on him.  

Boucher would not be it though...  We actually need more guys like Gaunce at the moment who can get in on the forecheck and cause some havoc.  

Most of our team is too easy to play against with Horvat and Sutter missing from the lineup.  

Just my opinion.

Archived