The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap Expected to rise 3 million!! What this means for the Canucks.

KKnight

With the expected rise of the cap by 3 million. With our UFA's and new cap restructuring, we are sitting at roughly 25 million. How aggresive do you expect us to be?? How aggressive would you be in the offseason? 

Are we in on Tavares now? Kane? 

or are we focusing on Boeser extension and further development of our youth? 

I'd like us to be more aggressive regarding acquiring prospects and draft picks. However, I was expecting that last year and was surprised of the FA acquisitions last year. I don't know what to expect from JB and the boys. However, if we need to lock up any significant player on our present roster, do that first.

At this stage I'd expect us to be not that aggressive at all.  We're still rebuilding no matter what people think

Jumping out with a 10+ million offer for a Tavares looks pretty.  Until it doesn't.

While we have cap space now; we're traditionally a cap team.  Rushing out to spend money just to spend money is a good way to ensure we don't have enough to retain the up and coming kids we have now in 3-5 years.

Cap might rise, but a lockout is looming.  Again.  I'd be hesitant to want to dump cash on free agents knowing that

I expect Jim to stay the course and keep building this team for the future.  An increase in the cap shouldn't affect his plan.  Until this team is in the picture of being a real contender, there is no need to go crazy and spend to the cap.

The tweet to which I'm sure you're referring:

So 3-7m increase. Even on the low side, that's a far bit. This would certainly help with the pending raises to Baertschi, Granlund, Stecher, Pouliot and possibly Gudbranson. Though, I think we can expect some cap freed up from the Sedin's pay cut. 

I doubt the higher cap means we're active in free agency, but it certainly means we can keep the guys we want to keep. 

I'm hesitant to spend big in free agency. We're improving, no doubt, but we're still in the rebuilding phase. It's too early to go all in now. Keep in mind we'll have a few big contracts coming up with Boeser and potentially Baertschi coming up.

I think personally, that going big is only justified if it's a special player you can acquire; John Tavares fits that description. 7 year term @ 10 million a year brings him to age 34, which is not that bad.Our up and comers will be bonafide NHL'ers and ready for true prime time within 2-3 years time, which gives Tavares 3-4 years of contending supported by a young enough crew, and lets be honest 30-31 is not that old in this league.

As for Kane, I'd sign him but only if the term and dollars make sense, he's a bit riskier as you have no idea if he's just a contract year player (like Gagner).

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm hesitant to spend big in free agency. We're improving, no doubt, but we're still in the rebuilding phase. It's too early to go all in now. Keep in mind we'll have a few big contracts coming up with Boeser and potentially Baertschi coming up.

If not this Offseason, we definitely have to be involved next year. Good crop of UFA's

31 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

The tweet to which I'm sure you're referring:

So 3-7m increase. Even on the low side, that's a far bit. This would certainly help with the pending raises to Baertschi, Granlund, Stecher, Pouliot and possibly Gudbranson. Though, I think we can expect some cap freed up from the Sedin's pay cut. 

I doubt the higher cap means we're active in free agency, but it certainly means we can keep the guys we want to keep. 

Sounds like this entire "increasing cap" is kind of iffy.  With this "inflator" combined with "escrow" what is the actual Cap dollar?  The Cap could be 100 million, but these claw-backs would make it 50 million.  Yes, I exaggerate, but maybe this announcement is Betman's way to justify Seattle's 650 million dollar expansion fee?  

35 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

I think personally, that going big is only justified if it's a special player you can acquire; John Tavares fits that description. 7 year term @ 10 million a year brings him to age 34, which is not that bad.Our up and comers will be bonafide NHL'ers and ready for true prime time within 2-3 years time, which gives Tavares 3-4 years of contending supported by a young enough crew, and lets be honest 30-31 is not that old in this league.

As for Kane, I'd sign him but only if the term and dollars make sense, he's a bit riskier as you have no idea if he's just a contract year player (like Gagner).

IMO, no to both. It would make sense to stay away from such temptations. So much could happen.

What if we get Rasmus Dahlin? A non roster prospect surprises? Injury impacts one of our roster elites? 

Let's just wait and stay the course.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

The thing is, players of Tavares calibre almost never hit FA. He's a young, highly skilled, gritty Canadian centre. I think if the chance is there, you gotta take it.

Baertchi isn't even in the same league as Tavares.

Can't believe you guys that are saying no to a top NHL centre that may be gotten with cap alone. Name one team that won a cup without a top 8+ million dollar forward in the last 10 years... and your worrued about re-signing Baertchi. LMFAO

44 minutes ago, Davathor said:

The thing is, players of Tavares calibre almost never hit FA. He's a young, highly skilled, gritty Canadian centre. I think if the chance is there, you gotta take it.

Baertchi isn't even in the same league as Tavares.

Can't believe you guys that are saying no to a top NHL centre that may be gotten with cap alone. Name one team that won a cup without a top 8+ million dollar forward in the last 10 years... and your worrued about re-signing Baertchi. LMFAO

True. Baer is not the saviour. However, he could be a big piece of the puzzle.

An elite, highly skilled player, be they from wherever, usually is not acquired. Most elite players on SC winners these days were drafted by their respected clubs.

No more Sundin/Messier scenarios, thank you.

It means, it makes harder to sign a UFA superstar as they might be content to sign more money and still leave plenty of cap space to sign the remaining to fill the spots.  It also means that players might not sign long term contract otherwise they might be a bargain when compared to the cap at the end of his contract.

Archived