The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap Expected to rise 3 million!! What this means for the Canucks.

KKnight

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

At this stage I'd expect us to be not that aggressive at all.  We're still rebuilding no matter what people think

Jumping out with a 10+ million offer for a Tavares looks pretty.  Until it doesn't.

While we have cap space now; we're traditionally a cap team.  Rushing out to spend money just to spend money is a good way to ensure we don't have enough to retain the up and coming kids we have now in 3-5 years.

Cap might rise, but a lockout is looming.  Again.  I'd be hesitant to want to dump cash on free agents knowing that

Tend to agree. The idea of adding Tavares is 'neat' and all but in a few years that cap hit becomes a major PITA. Still wouldn't be opposed to adding Kane though.

Just for fun, spit-balling at a theoretical roster with Kane, Tavares and the Sedins next year though...

Kane, Tavares, Boeser

Baer, Horvat, Goldobin

Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson

Granlund, Sutter, Virtanen

Gaunce/Gagner

With Gaudette, Dahlen and Petterson all in Utica available for call up....

59 minutes ago, Davathor said:

The thing is, players of Tavares calibre almost never hit FA. He's a young, highly skilled, gritty Canadian centre. I think if the chance is there, you gotta take it.

Baertchi isn't even in the same league as Tavares.

Can't believe you guys that are saying no to a top NHL centre that may be gotten with cap alone. Name one team that won a cup without a top 8+ million dollar forward in the last 10 years... and your worrued about re-signing Baertchi. LMFAO

I'm not comparing Baertschi to Tavares, I'm just saying that if Boeser is a $7M player and Baertschi is a $4-4.5M deal, then we've already got $11-11.5M off the books that we need to consider. Also note that we might already have two of those "8+ million dollar forward(s)" in Boeser and Pettersson.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

At this stage I'd expect us to be not that aggressive at all.  We're still rebuilding no matter what people think

Jumping out with a 10+ million offer for a Tavares looks pretty.  Until it doesn't.

While we have cap space now; we're traditionally a cap team.  Rushing out to spend money just to spend money is a good way to ensure we don't have enough to retain the up and coming kids we have now in 3-5 years.

Cap might rise, but a lockout is looming.  Again.  I'd be hesitant to want to dump cash on free agents knowing that

I started a thread to do with posters opinions with regards to what they think is rebuilding or replacing.

If this management group believes the rebuild is finished after last years draft, then they probably will spend to the cap again. Then again, they spend to the cap leaving just enough room for injuries each year so that might not indicate anything at all.

In looking at the structure of a lot of recent long term contracts of players on this team and others, 2020 seems to be structured oddly, that year some salaries have large signing bonuses or smaller base salaries. I am not sure what that could indicate other than a lost year of work won't affect how much the contract is worth overall as much.

If there is a lock out that could also mean there could/will be two draft classes in one year or the standings of one year may/could represented in two drafts. The NHL may take an average of the standings over a 2, 3 or 4 year period to determine one of those two years draft lottery positions. For a rebuilding team this would/could be a windfall. Of course no guarantee of hitting the home run, but suddenly one additional bad year could bring in double the opportunity. The NHL could do what they did when Crosby was drafted;

Wiki;

Teams were assigned 1 to 3 balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the past three years. According to the draft order, the selection worked its way up to 30 as usual; then instead of repeating the order as in past years, the draft "snaked" back down to the team with the first pick. Therefore, the team with the first pick overall would not pick again until the 60th pick. The team with the 30th pick would also get the 31st pick.

Tons of cap space could maybe "buy" a draft position if Brian Burke's idea of being able to trade money and cap space is allowed in the new CBA, which will most likely happen as teams almost do that now with taking on bad contracts.

Of course this is looking 2 years/seasons into the future but for a rebuilding team awaiting prospects for an average of 3 years to play, Vancouver, this could be the event that sets the team up for over a decade of cup contention.

So stock piling more draft picks should be the order of the day and a simple declaration that the team is going into a full teardown and rebuild, a scorched earth rebuild, could make the team in 2022 a league powerhouse.

On a day to day issue, they may/will re-sign the Sedins to two years at 4 mil/season eating up 8 mil and sign some more older FA's.

if cap goes to 80 we have 39 mill next summer  i got hard after tavares 8 yrs 12 mill per 

center depth     

sedins resign one yr 1 mill each 

center depth 

tavares, petersson, bo, sedin, dowd, gaunce.

sign kane 7 mill per for 2 yrs 

trade tanev, sutter, edler ,   baer, vanek at deadline  for draft picks and prospects       sell for max highest bidders at deadline 

resign  guddy stecher boeser 

draft that stud number one dman (dahlen ) even if u trade all picks aquired in tanev sutter baer vanek edler trades. plus russian giant  comes back

petersson tavares boeser

dahlin sedin kane 

sedin bo eriksson 

virt gaunce granny  

lind/gaz/gaudette 

del zotto dahlen  

juolevi tryamkin 

pouliot guddy

stecher hutton 

marky

nils

demko

if only the stars alligned so this happened our 2018-19 cup champs 

A sizeable boost in the cap means that there will be much more competition for free agents this offseason, as every team will suddenly have newfound room for them. It may be the worst time to start bidding on the UFA market. My preference is to stay the course for at least one more year.

...Besides, most of this $3+ mil will be eaten up by Luongo's cap recapture penalty.

13 minutes ago, D-Money said:

A sizeable boost in the cap means that there will be much more competition for free agents this offseason, as every team will suddenly have newfound room for them. It may be the worst time to start bidding on the UFA market. My preference is to stay the course for at least one more year.

...Besides, most of this $3+ mil will be eaten up by Luongo's cap recapture penalty.

i can see canucks suing  nhl over cap recapture on loungo  as nhl changed cba rules  after the fact that they approved his cobtract a yr before cba expired   devils did a similar move and the penalty was reduced

Re-sign the twins 1 mill each, 1 year. 

Sign JT... then win the cup in 2018-2019. Imagine how well JT would do if he could learn from Brock... just being in Brock's presence will make him a better player :P

Real simple. Gettirdoneeeee JIMBO! 

41 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

i can see canucks suing  nhl over cap recapture on loungo  as nhl changed cba rules  after the fact that they approved his cobtract a yr before cba expired   devils did a similar move and the penalty was reduced

Yeah... ...that'll happen.

:rolleyes:

Money isn't our problem next year, 29.3 mil in space if you include UFA and RFAs according to Cap Friendly, then 2.65 LTIR extra space for Dorsett, and 3-7 in cap increase. The problem is one of meh quality in UFAs outside of Kane. 

Tavares will make the 8 year deal with the NYI, bank on it (he will). Any other move and he loses 1 year of contract and maybe 2 if there's a lockout, so imo he's going nowhere.

I'd like Kane but not at any price. There might be some good 1 year TDL bait deals to be had too. 2018 might be a good year for us not to spend to the cap, and if we can't get Kane then I really don't want to see anything other than 1 year deals for any other player and we could afford to overpay a lot of decent TDL-movable guys but just as long as its 1 year only. 

48 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Money isn't our problem next year, 29.3 mil in space if you include UFA and RFAs according to Cap Friendly, then 2.65 LTIR extra space for Dorsett, and 3-7 in cap increase. The problem is one of meh quality in UFAs outside of Kane. 

Tavares will make the 8 year deal with the NYI, bank on it (he will). Any other move and he loses 1 year of contract and maybe 2 if there's a lockout, so imo he's going nowhere.

I'd like Kane but not at any price. There might be some good 1 year TDL bait deals to be had too. 2018 might be a good year for us not to spend to the cap, and if we can't get Kane then I really don't want to see anything other than 1 year deals for any other player and we could afford to overpay a lot of decent TDL-movable guys but just as long as its 1 year only. 

I'd say there's a pretty good chance that is the case... but who knows what goes on in a players head?  Perhaps he wants to play close to home and ends up in Montreal or Ottawa - if the latter could stomach what it would cost (I doubt there's a place for him in Toronto).  Or maybe he wants to win and goes to a team that's on the edge and can make space for him (I don't know cap situations that well but maybe the other NY team or maybe even Nashville???)

Huge no thank you to Tavares.  He will cost 11M and a very long term contract.  He is very slow and poor defensively.  He is like Joe Thornton if Joe could shoot really really well.  I would rather spend 6M on Kane and 5M on Landeskog.  The Canucks needs speed, size, and some good old fashioned boom boom. Green likes to play that high pressure fore-checking game Tavares is not it. Kane and Landeskog are beyond perfect for it.

Sign Kane 6x6 ala Eriksson so everyone can panic

Hutton, Stecher, Gaunce, 2nd for Landeskog?

I wish but this would be quickly make the Canucks a top team in the West. 

I really don't think the Canucks will go after Kane, yes there has been lots of speculation regarding him but I think they were just seeing what Buf was wanting in return. Still even as a FA unless it's for a cheap contract I don't see them spending big money for him and he will want it. It's obvious this management doesn't want players who create controversy in the dressing room, and imo Kane creates this stuff and I just don't see this management wanting a player like that on this team to create problems. Yes Kane is a skilled player but it's his baggage he brings that I just don't see this management wanting, but that's what I think, could be wrong.

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

I'd say there's a pretty good chance that is the case... but who knows what goes on in a players head?  Perhaps he wants to play close to home and ends up in Montreal or Ottawa - if the latter could stomach what it would cost (I doubt there's a place for him in Toronto).  Or maybe he wants to win and goes to a team that's on the edge and can make space for him (I don't know cap situations that well but maybe the other NY team or maybe even Nashville???)

true, if there's some underlying issue he may bolt... but you would think if it was that bad he would have asked to be moved this year already? just guessing. If he's comfortable there thats the place where he can make the most money for the longest term. 

Archived