KKnight

Cap Expected to rise 3 million!! What this means for the Canucks.

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

The raise in the cap allows other teams to go after big name U.F.A'S as well as teams that have them to keep them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just been doing a little math.........and here is what I come up with

 

Hank 3.5 million 1 year contract............................

Danny 3.5 million 1 year contract.............................they have been both playing as good as any other 3rd line players...............savings 7.0 million

 

Edler gets traded at the TDL..................................too many players all bunched up, this will be a thinning move.........................savings 5.0 million

 

Baertschi traded at the TDL...................................we have a lot of LW prospects and Baer is due a 1st/2nd line raise................savings1.85 million

 

Burmistrov ..............................................................walks at the end of the year.........who cares...................................................savings 0.90 million

 

Dorsett.....................................................................LTIR................................................................................................................savings 2.85 million

 

Vanek traded at the TDL.............................................He has been a pleasant surprise.................................................................savings 2.0 million

 

Hansen coming off the books...........................................................................................................................................................savings 0,50 million

 

Higgins coming off the books............................................................................................................................................................savings 0.83 million

 

Cap Increase....................................................................................................................................................................................................3.0 million

                                                                                                                                                                                                           ________________

                                                                                                                                                                                                               Approx. 24 million

Gudbranson..............3.5 million (UFA) + 1million

Granlund...................0.9 million (RFA) + 1 million

Virtanen.....................0.895 million (RFA) + 0.5 million

Stecher......................0.925 million (RFA) + 0.5 million

Pouliot.......................0.800 Million(RFA) + 0.5 million............................................................................................................................Minus 3.5 million

                                                                                                                                                                                                              _______________

                                                                                                                                                          Potential cap space.....................Approx. 20.5 million

Possible LW upgrade............E. Kane.............7.0 million

Possible RHD.......................Tryamkin............4.0 million

                                                                        _________

                                                                       11.0 million..................................................................Minus from Potential cap space  Minus 11.5 million

                                                                                                                                                                                                               _______________

                                                                                                                                                          

                                                                                                                                                           Open Cap space for future..........Approx. 9.5 million

 

A lot of "IF's" in there, but "IF" we sign Kane we won't need Beartschi.or visa versa. The Sedin's have played well enough in their 3rd line roles for an extra year, at a reduced respectful salary.......not sure how many 3rd liners make 3.5 million, I don't see the signing for 2 years.

 

There is such a traffic jam on LD, even without Juolevi, I think Edler is gone, and the same thing goes for LW to some extent.......

 

And I would be surprised if Tryamkin comes back so soon, but if he does Gudbranson probably gets moved

 

It will be interesting what pressures the Prospects put on the line up.............................

 

Hey, don't dump on me.......these are just random idea's, but as good as anyones.............except Jim Benning's

 

The use of cap space will be interesting...............

 

Well thought out! I'd make a couple of small adjustments, though.

 

The Twins for 2.5 each; there's another 2M. Unfortunately, I think that 2M, and some of the 9.5M cushion, will get used like:

Stetcher goes to a flat 2M (+ .575)

Pouliott goes to 2.5M (+ 1.2)

Kane (ok, I finally can see that) comes in for 7.5 (-.5)

Having to keep 1-1.5M on Edler contract

 

Would love to see Try come back early (!), but doubt it will happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, coolboarder said:

It means, it makes harder to sign a UFA superstar as they might be content to sign more money and still leave plenty of cap space to sign the remaining to fill the spots.  It also means that players might not sign long term contract otherwise they might be a bargain when compared to the cap at the end of his contract.

Most likely :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benning should pull the stops and make a run at Tavares. Ten plus a year won't look like that much in seven years and lots of elite players keep their pace  at least until 34.  The Sedins had their best seasons in their thirties, although that isn't the norm, but I honestly think Boeser is a huge upgrade on anyone Tavares has ever played with so we could expect at least a PPG average out of him for seven years.  Horvat could become our third line center if Pettersson pans out, or just solidify our second line.  It would alleviate the transition of  the Sedins retirement and speed up the rebuild.   In  fact Benning would then be able the focus entirely on defense and trading  Pettersson for a top defensive prospect makes a lot of sense.  Just imagine if we won the Dahlin sweepstakes and pulled Tavares away from NYI this summer..  one can wish no?

 

The team will still have the money for most of the re-signings with the guys coming off the books, and Benning can always trade away guys to make it work.  Granlund and Bear have been good for this team and the cap, but they are not crucial and can be replaced too.   Now if the cap goes up 5-7 million every team is going to be flush so I do hope Benning does have be wary of overpayments...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Benning should pull the stops and make a run at Tavares. Ten plus a year won't look like that much in seven years and lots of elite players keep their pace  at least until 34.  The Sedins had their best seasons in their thirties, although that isn't the norm, but I honestly think Boeser is a huge upgrade on anyone Tavares has ever played with so we could expect at least a PPG average out of him for seven years.  Horvat could become our third line center if Pettersson pans out, or just solidify our second line.  It would alleviate the transition of  the Sedins retirement and speed up the rebuild.   In  fact Benning would then be able the focus entirely on defense and trading  Pettersson for a top defensive prospect makes a lot of sense.  Just imagine if we won the Dahlin sweepstakes and pulled Tavares away from NYI this summer..  one can wish no?

 

The team will still have the money for most of the re-signings with the guys coming off the books, and Benning can always trade away guys to make it work.  Granlund and Bear have been good for this team and the cap, but they are not crucial and can be replaced too.   Now if the cap goes up 5-7 million every team is going to be flush so I do hope Benning does have be wary of overpayments...

I get what your saying and liked the idea until I read you moving Pettersson,,,,,,not something I would want to do.....I understand the idea, just don't like it

I just think with all the veteran players that should be moved, we should be able to acquire a decent dman to fill in the holes....

I also think that we should be able to move a 2019 or 2019 1st to supplement any up grade, but just one.........and not this years

Your idea's are just as good as anyone else's and Tavares would look smoking here, as he would anywhere else

 

It will be interesting to witness the next couple of years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Well thought out! I'd make a couple of small adjustments, though.

 

The Twins for 2.5 each; there's another 2M. Unfortunately, I think that 2M, and some of the 9.5M cushion, will get used like:

Stetcher goes to a flat 2M (+ .575)

Pouliott goes to 2.5M (+ 1.2)

Kane (ok, I finally can see that) comes in for 7.5 (-.5)

Having to keep 1-1.5M on Edler contract

 

Would love to see Try come back early (!), but doubt it will happen

Kane would be another +.5....I know just a type O

I can see your argument of Stecher and Pouliot........I guess we will see

As I said ........I think the Sedin's get more out of respect......I would like to see them at 2 M, but I think 3.5 is more realistic 

 

Yeah, Tryamkin is probably 2 years away, but one can hope!

 

But you can certainly see how Benning could move the money around..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think it means all the UFA will stay with their clubs... Tavares, Doughty, Kalsson etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

who cares about the cap rising 3-7 mil we are on the Luongo retirement cap recapture death watch.. based on how florida's been doing the last couple of season.. and Luongo getting injured more often lately.. i don't see him playing out his contract so we'll need buffers for the cap recapture anyways.. and the later he retires.. the bigger the penalty..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

who cares about the cap rising 3-7 mil we are on the Luongo retirement cap recapture death watch.. based on how florida's been doing the last couple of season.. and Luongo getting injured more often lately.. i don't see him playing out his contract so we'll need buffers for the cap recapture anyways.. and the later he retires.. the bigger the penalty..

Surely we'll trade for him and put him up on the beach in Florida until the contact expires...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2017 at 9:33 AM, Warhippy said:

At this stage I'd expect us to be not that aggressive at all.  We're still rebuilding no matter what people think

 

Jumping out with a 10+ million offer for a Tavares looks pretty.  Until it doesn't.

 

While we have cap space now; we're traditionally a cap team.  Rushing out to spend money just to spend money is a good way to ensure we don't have enough to retain the up and coming kids we have now in 3-5 years.

 

Cap might rise, but a lockout is looming.  Again.  I'd be hesitant to want to dump cash on free agents knowing that

That's pretty much my expectation. Maybe we go after a mid-level/secondary UFA but I don't see us making a serious play for anyone significant.

 

That's not to say I wouldn't like to see us look at Tavares if he goes to free agency, particularly if the Sedins do decide to move on. He's 27, and going to the max 7 years on a deal for him would take him to 34. We'd probably get good performance from him most of those years.

 

On the other side though, Tavares is having a big season and will probably drive his price up to make any contract a bit onerous. It's not like he's a BC boy who's going to come here at any kind of discount. He isn't exactly the player you want to pay big for on paper either, where he's not overly strong on faceoffs, doesn't do much for hits or blocks, isn't dominant in his possession results, etc. Not that he's bad in any of those, but if he's not having a big offensive year he might not be doing as much elsewhere to be worth what he'll get.

 

There's not a lot interesting otherwise in free agency, apart from maybe Kane. He could take a discount to come here if the Sabres don't re-sign him. Whether he's the type of player we'd want and if he can continue to be effective for the price he'd still get is another question though. I don't see a lot else of interest that any cap increase really makes a difference to us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be more inclined to go after Kane over Tavares. Not 'cuz he's a local boy, but more so 'cuz he can be had for a lesser term and less money.

Even better. Let's see who's situated where after the 2018 draft lottery. After such, if we feel a need to move up to get what we want, (unless we happen to get 1st overall!), then get Tavares, and wrangle a blockbuster three way to try and acquire Rasmus Dahlin. Yipeeeeee!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:17 AM, canuktravella said:

ya scraps will get us landeskog  lol right 

I guess you missed the I wish part. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-12-08 at 10:55 AM, HC20.0 said:

I think we should be taking Luongo's cap recapture into account here. He's not young, and frequently injured nowadays. 

This is exactly what I was going to say.  

He is getting old, and has had a rough couple years with injuries.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see a retirement in the next season or two. 

 

This cap boost would take a bit of the pain away from the shafting the NHL is going to give us soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that Karlsson is on the market, you never know. He is going to want 10 million a year but he would be worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't trust the NHL to not try to screw us again in the next lockout.  We're still on the hook for Luongo due to Gillis being too stupid to use the compliance buyout on him, and it could come back to haunt us.  Florida doesn't need to make up fake ailments like Chicago did for Hossa.  Who knows what kind of garbage Bettman will insist on during the next negotations?

 

Best to save as much cap space as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/12/2017 at 8:41 AM, janisahockeynut said:

I get what your saying and liked the idea until I read you moving Pettersson,,,,,,not something I would want to do.....I understand the idea, just don't like it

I just think with all the veteran players that should be moved, we should be able to acquire a decent dman to fill in the holes....

I also think that we should be able to move a 2019 or 2019 1st to supplement any up grade, but just one.........and not this years

Your idea's are just as good as anyone else's and Tavares would look smoking here, as he would anywhere else

 

It will be interesting to witness the next couple of years

 

If we had Tavares either Petersson or Horvat would become moveable - your talking about keeping a guy because you HOPE he turns into Tavares one day. 

 

I guess I should be used to that kind of one dimensional thinking on here, but I'm not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I wish we could do is add a big tough D-man 1 that could bring some intimidation,the ability to stand up for his teammates, play top 4 pairing just a good big tough shut down guy ::D also another energy forward since we don’t have our mean little terrier anymore.

Edited by CanuckleHorse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.