The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal- Vancouver/Buffalo; the time is now

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This makes way more sense for both teams.  I used to covet Sam Reinhart, but he’s not really progressed like a top two centre.  He might not be worth the risk.

You have to wonder why though.

He's in his 3rd full season.
Had 42 and 47 points the first 2 and now has 10 points in almost 30 games. His arc actually looks very similar to Bo Horvat's, except Bo played a full

season his first year whereas Sam only played 9 games. 

It's just a hunch on my part, but it feels very much like he's on the wrong team. It happens. Sometimes you're just on the wrong team at the wrong time. And the worst time for that to happen is when you're just starting out.
I say bring the kid home and let him loose. 
He's on a downswing this year so it should cost less.

I'd way rather take a chance on him, than that unpredictable head case Kane. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

This makes way more sense for both teams.  I used to covet Sam Reinhart, but he’s not really progressed like a top two centre.  He might not be worth the risk.

That stands to reason because Reinhart isn't a centre on the Sabres.  He's a winger.

You may want to bite the bullet and actually watch a painfully bad Sabres team on occasion.

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I would love Reinhart on the Canucks. Imagine a 1-2 punch of Horvat and Reinhart, with wingers Boeser, Pettersson and Dahlen. BUT, trading Tanev (and some also say Edler) would leave our blueline lacking even more than it already is.

Is this enough?

Del Zotto - Gudbranson

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Pouliot

Biega

?

Pouliot is so much better than Hutton already. 

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

That stands to reason because Reinhart isn't a centre on the Sabres.  He's a winger.

You may want to bite the bullet and actually watch a painfully bad Sabres team on occasion.

I know he’s only playing wing.  That’s the big concern about his progress as a centre. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I know he’s only playing wing.  That’s the big concern about his progress as a centre. 

Nothing wrong if he is a W. Makes sense for BUffalo to play him at wing tho, no way he supplants ROR or Jack in a top 6 role

Just now, Yotes said:

Nothing wrong if he is a W. Makes sense for BUffalo to play him at wing tho, no way he supplants ROR or Jack in a top 6 role

So, that makes a trade for him too much with Tanev.  I’m okay with Hutton for him, but not Tanev.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Buffalo can't trade him as a C, he isn't being played like one. So a Hutton+role player-SR trade makes sense to me value-wise, Huttons stats are actually pretty decent (outside of scoring) and Sammy isn't going to get the chance to become a C in Buffalo. Maybe Malholtra can help him turn around that ugly face-off percentage but we'd have to be thinking of Sam as a winger only. But a line with Dahlen-Pettersson-Reinhart might be pretty fun to watch. 

1 hour ago, darkpoet said:

You have to wonder why though.

He's in his 3rd full season.
Had 42 and 47 points the first 2 and now has 10 points in almost 30 games. His arc actually looks very similar to Bo Horvat's, except Bo played a full

season his first year whereas Sam only played 9 games. 

It's just a hunch on my part, but it feels very much like he's on the wrong team. It happens. Sometimes you're just on the wrong team at the wrong time. And the worst time for that to happen is when you're just starting out.
I say bring the kid home and let him loose. 
He's on a downswing this year so it should cost less.

I'd way rather take a chance on him, than that unpredictable head case Kane. 

he'd be a lot cheaper as he'd be getting a bridge deal too. Hutton might have a hard time cracking Buffalo's top 4 though.... I need @SabreFan1 to make that call. 

I think we all need to remember that one of the reasons we are even in a hunt for playoff spot is because our defense is actually not horrible defensively. The biggest reason for that is Tanev.

So we can trade Tanev, but doing so likely destroys our chance of getting a playoff spot this season.... Which is already an uphill battle due to injuries.

I'd love to get SR, who can play center while Bo is out then perhaps move to LW.  But I'm not sure throwing away our playoff chances (as low as they may be now) is worth it.

If we could do it with a less impactful player like Hutton plus a prospect and pick I'd be up for that.  The prospect would have to be a strong one to get Buffalo to even consider it though.

47 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he'd be a lot cheaper as he'd be getting a bridge deal too. Hutton might have a hard time cracking Buffalo's top 4 though.... I need @SabreFan1 to make that call. 

Hutton wouldn't come close to getting it done.

I've said this before in the past also....  Tanev is too old for the Sabres.  By the time the Sabres are able to compete, Tavev will be 30-31 years old.

For JB to acquire Reinhart, he'd have to give up youth in return.  That would be entirely unproductive and could hurt the Canucks in the long run. 

The Sabres and Canucks are not good trading partners right now, especially when it comes to giving up a top 6 forward or top pair defenceman .  Neither team is in the position to pay the price of such an acquisition.

13 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

We all remember how interested J.B. was in drafting Sam Reinhart; there is no better time than now to swing a major deal with Buffalo, they have the forward depth and desperately need a top 2 defender. With Horvat going down for 4-6 weeks we need to fill that center hole. Reinhart could be that perfect fit with Boesser, and most certainly a true upgrade in our young core. I propose we deal Tanev for Reinhart + 2018 2nd  

Maybe before the season started when Buffalo had something to play for this year would they target Tanev. I think a rebuilding year has them looking younger. Somebody recently proposed a Hutton, Goldobin and a pick for Reinhart. I think that’s a pretty decent package even without a pick to land Reinhart. I do agree with the target. Fans here hated the idea of trading for Evander Kane before the start of last season when his value was at an all time low but all I see now is how everybody wants him while his value is at a premium. Get the impression most fans don’t like the risk of buy low sell high.

17 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I would love Reinhart on the Canucks. Imagine a 1-2 punch of Horvat and Reinhart, with wingers Boeser, Pettersson and Dahlen. BUT, trading Tanev (and some also say Edler) would leave our blueline lacking even more than it already is.

Is this enough?

Del Zotto - Gudbranson

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Pouliot

Biega

?

Gudbranson is not a 1st line d-man.

12 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Hutton wouldn't come close to getting it done.

I've said this before in the past also....  Tanev is too old for the Sabres.  By the time the Sabres are able to compete, Tavev will be 30-31 years old.

For JB to acquire Reinhart, he'd have to give up youth in return.  That would be entirely unproductive and could hurt the Canucks in the long run. 

The Sabres and Canucks are not good trading partners right now, especially when it comes to giving up a top 6 forward or top pair defenceman .  Neither team is in the position to pay the price of such an acquisition.

I guess tho if Sam continues to struggle there his value just continues to goes down. I know he was a high pick but at some point a team has to get over that. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess tho if Sam continues to struggle there his value just continues to goes down. I know he was a high pick but at some point a team has to get over that. 

He's having a poor year so far.  His first two were just fine.  Since nobody expected them to do well on the ice, Reinhart's bad year actually works a bit in the Sabres' favour.  If he's kept and not traded, the contract that he is going to sign will be shorter but a whole lot cheaper than if he had gone out and had a 50 point season.  Now he will have to sign a bridge contract for millions less per year and the Sabres aren't going to be stuck with him long term if this year turns out to be more than just the aberration everybody thinks that it is. 

19 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

He's having a poor year so far.  His first two were just fine.  Since nobody expected them to do well on the ice, Reinhart's bad year actually works a bit in the Sabres' favour.  If he's kept and not traded, the contract that he is going to sign will be shorter but a whole lot cheaper than if he had gone out and had a 50 point season.  Now he will have to sign a bridge contract for millions less per year and the Sabres aren't going to be stuck with him long term if this year turns out to be more than just the aberration everybody thinks that it is. 

it does make sense to hang on to him if all you're going to get back is Hutton, but that doesn't mean i wouldn't like to see it happen :P I'm not sure why Sam is so bad at face-offs though, seems like he should be a bit better. It makes sense to see what kind of prospects Kane can bring back and maybe there's some new line mates that can help get things going for him next season. 

I also think we may have a 2nd line RW that may eventually be just as productive in Kole Lind. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it does make sense to hang on to him if all you're going to get back is Hutton, but that doesn't mean i wouldn't like to see it happen :P I'm not sure why Sam is so bad at face-offs though, seems like he should be a bit better. It makes sense to see what kind of prospects Kane can bring back and maybe there's some new line mates that can help get things going for him next season. 

I also think we may have a 2nd line RW that may eventually be just as productive in Kole Lind. 

He's bad at FO's because he's a winger and doesn't practice at them like he used to when he was a centre (pre-NHL).

I honestly think though that there's a 50-50 chance that a team will make the Sabres an offer that they can't refuse for Reinhart this season.  Chances are decent that whoever takes him will move him back to his natural centre position.  That's the problem with him being on the Sabres, he has too much potential to be a 3rd line centre, but he isn't good enough to beat Eichel or ROR.  Whoever takes him will have to suffer through his relearning of the position.

Honestly, I haven't seen enough of Sam to pass judgement.

A quick scan of his stats to date show an obvious drop in offence, his defensive stats Fall short and his face off productivity leaves a lot to be desired.

However, we are still in need of a top two centre which still makes Reinhardt a tantalizing prospect should he become available. 

My problem comes with the price tag. Sam is a former second over all pick. Even though he's not producing at the moment, Buffalo brass would not want to eat the crow that would be served to them on a silver platter, should he come to Vancouver and realize his full potential. If they decided to trade him, I can imagine the price tag being very high. 

My proposal would be very simple and would have potential to fill needs for both teams.

To Buffalo:

Troy Stetcher

To Vancouver:

Sam Reinhardt

Buffalo gets a young dman that's shown potential to put up numbers from the blueline. We have a thick, capable defence that can live without him with prospects developing. I've not been sold on Stetcher from the outset and am far from impressed so far this season. Yes, he had an injury but he was having problems before that.

We get a potential top 2 centre that has also been underwhelming but a homecoming may light a fire in him. TG has the ability to recognize a players weakness and has the patience to work with that player (just ask Jake). If any coach can bring him up to speed, it's TG.

Archived