The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Shaver: Police officer not guilty of murder

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The guy was likely very drunk too.  Why wasn’t the guy cuffed, with hands behind his back?

That's a point that bothers me about some of these shootings. Why not approach the suspect while he's prone on the ground with his hands behind his head?

The officer is completely unfit for the job of being a police officer.

he raised the stress level of the man and woman, and I'm sure his fellow officers as well as himself.  The opposite of deescalating a situation.  He gave vague and difficult commands while shouting to an obviously drunk man.  Eventually anyone would fail those commands in that situation.

if he was that afraid of a prone, drunk man who was begging for his life he is not qualified to be a police officer.

38 minutes ago, riffraff said:

The officer is completely unfit for the job of being a police officer.

he raised the stress level of the man and woman, and I'm sure his fellow officers as well as himself.  The opposite of deescalating a situation.  He gave vague and difficult commands while shouting to an obviously drunk man.  Eventually anyone would fail those commands in that situation.

if he was that afraid of a prone, drunk man who was begging for his life he is not qualified to be a police officer.

A lot of them are meatheads with little appreciation or understanding of what it takes to be truly good at the job. This is the kind of $&!# the players were protesting, but right wingers will scream patriotism the whole time and hijack the entire subject. Patriotism is being executed by cop because wrong place wrong time, I guess.

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

A lot of them are meatheads with little appreciation or understanding of what it takes to be truly good at the job. This is the kind of $&!# the players were protesting, but right wingers will scream patriotism the whole time and hijack the entire subject. Patriotism is being executed by cop because wrong place wrong time, I guess.

Not sure why you're pulling in a political debate here.  Players were protesting the police for supposedly executing black people due to systemic racism or whatever.  The murdered guy here is white.  Unless someone is trying to start some White Lives Matter movement.....

This is just some punk/thug who somehow became a cop and murdered an innocent man, meanwhile falsifying the records to cover up his misdeed.  This isn't a political or race issue.... it's the systemic failing of the police system as a whole.  Low pay, low recruitment standards, lack of proper training, lack of true accountability, etc...... this is the results.

Legalized murder.  This is disgusting. 

Makes me sick to my stomach to know that the cop wasn't charged with 2nd degree murder as if anyone else who did that would be.  But, hey, cops are equal to us civilians, right? 

Looked to me like the cop purposely set him up for failure by intimidating and scaring the crap out of him from the start.  Then gives orders that are impossible to follow.

No gun was ever seen so the cop had no right to use deadly force.  I've never seen a challenge issued like that, it's way different than what I was trained to do. 

Cops went from being the friendly guy on neighborhood foot patrols, keeping the peace to the modern day militarized Praetorian Guard.  This is what a police state looks like and it's really ugly.

Tells him to cross his legs, put his hands over his head, don't move from those 2 states, then to crawl. Crawling means hands and legs on the ground. The guy is drunk, probably not understanding correctly either, and even trying to pull his pants back up because of how &^@#ed up he is.

The cop is basically forcing him into making a mistake so he can shoot him. Dude even has that BS engraved on his gun.

He already had the guy face down with his hands and legs spread out, crying don't shoot me. That was the opportunity to handcuff him, and the cop even had another guy with him. What did the jury even see in court? How much do they take into account all the nerves that a drunken guy gets who has a rifle pointed at him while being shouted at? The cop was playing Simon Says with a drunk guy until the guy screwed up, except losing resulted in death.

22 hours ago, inane said:

farked up. the states is so militarized it's insane. The guy is face down hands out, legs crossed. just go handcuff him then, problem solved. 

Put your hands up, legs crossed and crawl to me without changing anything or I shoot you, wtf.

Bingo. They already secured the woman and could approach the man without any other risk in the hallway. EDIT: even if he was too close to a door, they could give clear instructions to shuffle forward on his knees a certain distance, then stop and return to the prone position.

If you want someone to follow instructions, you'd better be prepared to give clear instructions. "Crawl towards me" is very ambiguous and would suggest you crawl on your hands and knees, which is what he did. The woman stayed hands up as she walked on her knees (a more clear instruction) but I was surprised she didn't go on all fours to crawl.

In the end, this was an unnecessary shooting and overly complicated situation that many people would have trouble with as they're crapping their pants at gunpoint in front of a screaming officer.

12 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Bingo. They already secured the woman and could approach the man without any other risk in the hallway. EDIT: even if he was too close to a door, they could give clear instructions to shuffle forward on his knees a certain distance, then stop and return to the prone position.

If you want someone to follow instructions, you'd better be prepared to give clear instructions. "Crawl towards me" is very ambiguous and would suggest you crawl on your hands and knees, which is what he did. The woman stayed hands up as she walked on her knees (a more clear instruction) but I was surprised she didn't go on all fours to crawl.

In the end, this was an unnecessary shooting and overly complicated situation that many people would have trouble with as they're crapping their pants at gunpoint in front of a screaming officer.

I believe she was sober whilst shavers was drunk.

39 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

She was drunk

Thanks for that clarification.

i thought I heard the officer ask both if they were drunk just after they got into the hallway, and I thought I heard her say no.

Edit:

why is this poor lady in cuffs?  Again: cop fail.  They leave one officer attending one person who was involved in the incident.  Hypothetically if this lady has some sort of anxiety attack, (understandable), there is only one female officer there.  Garunteed this lady would end up shot as well.

even the female officer questioning her, you can here the insinuation in the officers voice at times despite the fact she claims she doesn't even know why she has been called to the site.

obvious lack of training cowboy gong show.

43 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Thanks for that clarification.

i thought I heard the officer ask both if they were drunk just after they got into the hallway, and I thought I heard her say no.

Edit:

why is this poor lady in cuffs?  Again: cop fail.  They leave one officer attending one person who was involved in the incident.  Hypothetically if this lady has some sort of anxiety attack, (understandable), there is only one female officer there.  Garunteed this lady would end up shot as well.

even the female officer questioning her, you can here the insinuation in the officers voice at times despite the fact she claims she doesn't even know why she has been called to the site.

obvious lack of training cowboy gong show.

He did ask them that and they both said no in the hallway.

Her response to what the guy normally does with the gun with killing sparrows in Walmart. "Sounds like he must have some mental issues" No your Officer has the Mental issues actually

That's pretty messed up. I have a lot of time for listening to the officer's side of the story before making a conclusion, but this seems clearly wrong to me. 

In training on how to handle Prisoners of War, infantry soldiers (who's job description is "close with and destroy the enemy" not "serve and protect") would be told that is a war crime 10 out of 10 times. How the f**k can it not be criminal for an officer of the law to shoot a surendering citizen?

So did some more digging on this story and turns out there's a little more that I didn't know. I originally thought the officer who had shot Shaver was the one who was also yelling the ridiculous orders, turns out that's not right. A sergeant named Charles Langley was the one who was yelling these orders but he wasn't the one who shot Shaver, and he was never in the trial either, because he retired 4 months after the incident and fled the country.

That's troubling. It's also troubling that Charles Langley, the sergeant at the scene — the senior officer in charge, the one who is heard barking all the berserk orders — quietly retired from the department four months after the shooting, according to the Arizona Republic.

A very important distinction. The cop who murdered Daniel Shaver was not the guy screaming insane orders. That was Sgt. Charles Langley, who’s psychotic escalation of the situation is even more to blame for Shaver’s death. He promptly retired 4 months later and left the country.

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So did some more digging on this story and turns out there's a little more that I didn't know. I originally thought the officer who had shot Shaver was the one who was also yelling the ridiculous orders, turns out that's not right. A sergeant named Charles Langley was the one who was yelling these orders but he wasn't the one who shot Shaver, and he was never in the trial either, because he retired 4 months after the incident and fled the country.

That's troubling. It's also troubling that Charles Langley, the sergeant at the scene — the senior officer in charge, the one who is heard barking all the berserk orders — quietly retired from the department four months after the shooting, according to the Arizona Republic.

A very important distinction. The cop who murdered Daniel Shaver was not the guy screaming insane orders. That was Sgt. Charles Langley, who’s psychotic escalation of the situation is even more to blame for Shaver’s death. He promptly retired 4 months later and left the country.

They should make a rule that you can't just simply retire until all matters has been resolved.  You can still stop working, but pension can be revoked and liability can still be placed.  

Archived