The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Athlete In the World?

Goat James

So I was thinking, who is the best athlete in the world? Obviously it's impossible to compare a skier to a soccer player; it's really hard to rank athletes within their own sport and even harder to other sports. I feel like the criteria has to be a mix between accomplishments within the sport and the physique. Example, I rank Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of Leo Messi, even though I think Messi may be the better soccer player, but CR7 has got a physical element that Messi lacks. I would also rank Mario ahead of Gretzky on this list because of the same reason.

I think my male top five would include Lebron James, Cristiano Ronaldo, Usain Bolt, Roger Federer and Sidney Crosby.

What do you guys think?

I think the cream of the crop in terms of athletes are found in Football. The game is just so fast and physical. If he was still alive, I would say Sean Taylor is the best athlete in the world. Now that he has passed, I am content in saying that it is probably a guy like Odell Beckham Jr. You also have to look at decathletes. Their sport is literally 10 in 1. From that standpoint it could be Asher Eaton or Damian Warner

59 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's comparing apples to oranges, but personally, I think the world's best athlete is whomever is the current World Record holder in the Decathlon. That would make it (IMHO) Ashton Eaton.

Agreed.  I wonder what a young L. James (with total devotion to decathlon) could have accomplished?  

Archived