The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Athlete In the World?

Goat James

14 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

Boxing and soccer are far more boring to watch than baseball. Not to mention soccer is nothing but players taking dives to create attention cos the sport has apparently never thought to add more referees to the field. 

It's pretty subjective to be honest. Some people love watching baseball, others soccer. Some neither. I don't understand tit for tat arguments between people about how boring the other's favourite sport is.

I love playoff baseball but it's more of a sit back and chill kind of sport. Regular season games can be pretty dull. I hate basketball more than any other sport but I can understand why some people like it.

2 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

It's pretty subjective to be honest. Some people love watching baseball, others soccer. Some neither. I don't understand tit for tat arguments between people about how boring the other's favourite sport is.

I love playoff baseball but it's more of a sit back and chill kind of sport. Regular season games can be pretty dull. I hate basketball more than any other sport but I can understand why some people like it.

I like College Basketball because it is more of a team game and is played as intended. In the NBA there is way to much Isolation and its really boring to watch

1 hour ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

All time   Senna Rice Gretzky Jordan Ali Pele GSP Federer

Now

Hamilton Brady LeBron Mayweather Messi   FRANCIS NGANNOU Federer

Also water skiing, DownHill Super G, skating, Diving  BMX volleyball Tour De France what ever you want to think of  except for maybe motor cross or rally athletes all take a back seat to any one individual who wears a wingsuit and says I'ma jump off this mountain and go 250+kmh and control it.

Pretty good list... Will add Schumacher, Phelps, Ronaldo, Eddy Merckx, Indurain, Maradona.....

But to find the one outstanding over everyone else is not possible... all depends on how interested people are in that particular sports.....

57 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

Boxing and soccer are far more boring to watch than baseball. Not to mention soccer is nothing but players taking dives to create attention cos the sport has apparently never thought to add more referees to the field. 

soccer is subjective. most popular sport in the world by a mile, non stop action for 45mins baring the odd 30second break for a free kick just the way some teams play is boring but again subjective and you need to understand the game to fully comprehend the beauty.. baseball every pitch has a 30second break in between. boxing unless 2big names is boring though.

41 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

soccer is subjective. most popular sport in the world by a mile, non stop action for 45mins baring the odd 30second break for a free kick just the way some teams play is boring but again subjective and you need to understand the game to fully comprehend the beauty.. baseball every pitch has a 30second break in between. boxing unless 2big names is boring though.

Running up and down a field is not action. It's an activity. 

6 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Maybe not the best, but he should be in the conversation- Shaun Palmer. Shaun competed very hard in (dominated some) snowboarding, downhill mountain biking, motocross, celebrity auto racing, and skier cross.

I was a downhill mountain biking junkie when I was a kid. Shaun Palmer was my idol back then. Probably the only celebrity I would ever meet that would make me a bumbling idiot. Coolest dude ever.

1 hour ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I've had this argument with the "baseball is boring" crowd several times over the years. I enjoy watching, because I understand the game and enjoy the strategy.

I understand why a 2-1 count is ideal for a hit and run, I understand why you take a strike when you're down by two or more runs, late in a game, I know why a leadoff guy doesn't try for a triple unless he's 100% sure he can make it....etc., etc....

I think if people had a better understanding of the game, they'd enjoy it more. Same reason sports like Rugby and Cricket don't resonate with a lot of North Americans.

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've had this argument with the "baseball is boring" crowd several times over the years. I enjoy watching, because I understand the game and enjoy the strategy.

I understand why a 2-1 count is ideal for a hit and run, I understand why you take a strike when you're down by two or more runs, late in a game, I know why a leadoff guy doesn't try for a triple unless he's 100% sure he can make it....etc., etc....

I think if people had a better understanding of the game, they'd enjoy it more. Same reason sports like Rugby and Cricket don't resonate with a lot of North Americans.

Pretty much. I used to dislike the NFL before I had a real understanding of the game. Now I look forward to Sunday evenings and relaxing with a beer watching the game. I'm sure I'd enjoy other sports as well if I took the time to get into them. My friends tried to get me into basketball and the NBA and it just isn't for me though.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you're laughable. I put out something that is easily appreciated and you do that with it. Says something don't you think? 

The thread was about best athlete in the world, She is not even the best rock climber in the world. The -1 was deserved. Ohh looks like you have a -2 now so Im not the only one who thinks so.

53 minutes ago, ILL BILL NECRO said:

The thread was about best athlete in the world, She is not even the best rock climber in the world. The -1 was deserved. Ohh looks like you have a -2 now so Im not the only one who thinks so.

ok champ :lol:

I would say Fed, he's 36 and still playing at such a high level. 

For perspective, a professional tennis player's career usually only lasts until their early thirties until their bodies completely give out.  

He's literally the living breathing GOAT of tennis, especially this year coming back from an injury and taking 2 of the 4 majors as well as a crap ton of Masters 1000s. He's been extremely consistent throughout his career, something that isn't easy in a sport like tennis, where there are so many external factors that affect your game.

I would argue that tennis is one of the most demanding sports in the world. Sure, there aren't that many jacked players on tour, and none of them is especially impressive physically. However, it's so much more than a well-built body. The average tennis player runs over 3 miles in a match, stopping and changing direction in an instant, recovering and sprinting to the next shot and setting up. The average match length is over an hour, usually an hour and a half. The hand-eye coordination is insane, and if you stop focusing for one second it's over, the ball goes out. The mental aspect of tennis is also critical to one's performance. You have to somehow keep your focus up throughout the entire tournament, and not let fatigue get to you.  

Federer is the most decorated player in professional tennis history, and (like a fine swiss cheese :) ) is only getting better with age.  

(could probably give a much more in depth argument on why tennis is one of the hardest sports in the world lol)

4 hours ago, zzbottom said:

See the diving in soccer is a false stearyotype. There's diving in every sport and soccer at least accepts its a problem and now has video review to suspend players for it. Hockey, football and basketball on the other hand do nothing and when a player dives and normally fans laugh when it happens saying "whatever it takes to win"

Archived