The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks shopping Alexander Burmistrov

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Burmistrov could become part of a bigger deal?  Burmistrov + Gudbranson + ? for something nice from Florida??

How about Edler/Burmi to Toronto for Michael Paliotta 

I know Dale Tallon's moist for Guddy but I don't like losing his toughness. Our team is too soft now.
Edler would allow Toronto to dump Polak, whom everyone over there hates, and we move on from one more aging player that's left over from 2011. 

https://editorinleaf.com/2017/09/16/toronto-maple-leafs-michael-paliotta/
http://marlies.ca/players/6002

Michael Paliotta 
6'3" 207 lbs
Defense
R/H shot
24 years old
70th overall pick by the Hawks in 2011. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you're right. Benning went out and got another depth C to replace Burmy, not Bo imo. Waiving Burmy makes him much more tradable.  

Why do teams waive players prior to trading them? Why wouldn't a team just pluck him off waivers instead of trading for him? 

Thanks in advance 

1 minute ago, erkayloomeh said:

Why do teams waive players prior to trading them? Why wouldn't a team just pluck him off waivers instead of trading for him? 

Thanks in advance 

If you claim a player off waivers, you don't have the option to send him directly to the AHL. You would have to waive him again, and the team that waived him in the first place would have the first opportunity to claim said player.

If you waive a player first, and then trade him, the team receiving him in the deal is free to send him directly to the minors if they wish.

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

In all seriousness a karlsson deal would be at minimum Baer,OJ,Demko and a 1st.... then you have to give him 10 mil per season!

I would say that's pretty close to what they would be wanting as return.

My thoughts are, let NYR pay that and let's wait and see if OJ has that level of upside in his game. Fingers, eyes and toes all crossed!

5 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

If you claim a player off waivers, you don't have the option to send him directly to the AHL. You would have to waive him again, and the team that waived him in the first place would have the first opportunity to claim said player.

If you waive a player first, and then trade him, the team receiving him in the deal is free to send him directly to the minors if they wish.

Yup exactly how the Pedan Pouliot trade happened

I don't think anyone could or should be shocked he'd be shopped.  Am/Was still expecting Vanek/Del Zotto and one of Tanev/Gudbranson or Edler to be quietly shopped as well.  With Dorsett out he's no longer a trade option.

These guys were signed with short term interest in mind.

if there is any potential downside to this, it is that we didn't see Burmistrov played in positions that would have increased his value before this rumour broke

38 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I know Dale Tallon's moist for Guddy but I don't like losing his toughness. Our team is too soft now.
Edler would allow Toronto to dump Polak, whom everyone over there hates, and we move on from one more aging player that's left over from 2011. 

Michael Paliotta 
6'3" 207 lbs
Defense
R/H shot
24 years old

Hahahahahaha!

53 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Am I the only one that would contemplate making this deal? When he's on, Karlsson is in the discussion for best player on the planet.

It's an interesting idea, but seems we're giving up a whole lot. I'd hate to lose Demko:

VAN - Karlsson

OTT - Baertschi, Juolevi, Demko and a 1st

So, Karlsson replaces whatever Juolevi will bring. Baertschi is redundant, so not a huge loss. Will the 1st ever be nearly as good as what Karlsson could bring? Then there's Demko. The Canucks would be pretty hooped in goal, unless DiPietro dazzles and impresses and the Markstrom/Nilsson combo stands on its head for the next 3-5 years. I'm not counting on DiPietro (yet). It is a risk, but with Karlsson on D, and Horvat, Pettersson, Dahlen, Virtanen, Gaudette up front, could be good?

Fun to think about, but at the end of the day this will be Karlsson's decision and he's probably got 20 teams ahead of the Canucks on his list.

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would say that's pretty close to what they would be wanting as return.

My thoughts are, let NYR pay that and let's wait and see if OJ has that level of upside in his game. Fingers, eyes and toes all crossed!

Honestly, right now the odds are against OJ developing into a top pairing defenseman. He's still really young but he hasn't developed at the rate we would have liked. No one really knows what he will end up being but to give Demko and a 1st round pick to turn OJ into one of the best players in the NHL, that's a pretty good deal IMO. Baer is just a throw in and can be replaced fairly easily. Not to say he has zero value but I could care less about moving Baertschi. 

Timing wise, sure, we'd like to be a year or 2 further into our rebuild when adding a piece like Karlsson but we're arguably a better team than Ottawa even without Karlsson. Add in Karlsson and who knows, maybe we could go on a cinderella run? We'd surely be a playoff team and there would be a buzz surrounding this team that we haven't seen in a while.

59 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Michael Paliotta 
6'3" 207 lbs
Defense
R/H shot
24 years old

LolWut.jpg

5 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Honestly, right now the odds are against OJ developing into a top pairing defenseman. He's still really young but he hasn't developed at the rate we would have liked.

He's developing just fine at the rate some of us expected.

The kid's on pace to meet/break U20 D scoring records in a top European mens league, playing big minutes in all situations...but yeah, he sucks.

Archived