The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Karlsson (Discussion)

stuman491

I was listening to 1040 and they were saying the Senators have asked Karlsson to give them his no trade list.  Obviously that doesn't mean they are going to trade him, but they are obviously open to the idea.  Initially I figured there is no way the Canucks could put together a package to get him.  But maybe we could scrounge up enough talent to make Ottawa think about it.  Should the Canucks go after someone like Karlsson or just wait for free agency in 2019?

To Ottawa:  Baertschi, Demko, 2018 1st (lottery protected), Gudbranson.  

To Vancouver:  Karlsson + extension.  

We are going to lose Gudbranson anyway.  He replaces Methot who Ottawa really didn't want to lose this summer.  Demko is top Goalie prospect.  Its obvious they need to think about moving on from Anderson.  Baertschi is a top 6 winger who is a similar age to their current young talent.  

Is this too much for the Canucks to give up?  I think this would be a package Ottawa would have to consider.  

Age, even though dmen usually play effectively longer, do the Canucks really want to pay out 12+ mil for 6 years right now?

This is not a team on the cusp of winning the cup or even close so he isn't likely to want to come here anyway.

Maybe Edmonton, but they can't afford him now either, Winnipeg?

Just aren't many teams with the cap space.

Hard pass because:

1. He might be damaged goods - major ankle surgery and poor performance since. Its a low risk in all likelihood but its a consideration. 

2. He'll demand a max salary, in the McDive-id range.

3. It will raid our prospect pool.

4. We have to draft a 1D out of one of the next two drafts, and thats possible given the depth of talent in both the 2018 and 19 drafts. 

OR

Do it! because:

1. 12 mil for Karlsson is worth much more than 14 mil for two old Sedin's. 

2. As long as Bo,  Pettersson and Boeser aren't included, anyone else is fair game. 

Honestly though I can't see him wanting to come here. 

I was just thinking about this. Karlsson is only 27. Also if anyone doubts if we have the pieces to pull this off, I must give them a pretty big laugh. There couldn't be a better fit. It would sting, but it could happen and we COULD take on his raise. Juolevi, Tanev, 1st (lottery protected), and a roster forward not named Sedin or has a B to start his first or last name. 

I would put money down that this is a 1 year anomaly for Karlsson. Unfortunately, as mentioned already, the first piece that comes up in a trade with him is Pettersson which the Canucks just can't do. 

If he gets traded, it'll make that mountain the Avs got back for Duchene, look like a molehill. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hard pass because:

1. He might be damaged goods - major ankle surgery and poor performance since. Its a low risk in all likelihood but its a consideration. 

2. He'll demand a max salary, in the McDive-id range.

3. It will raid our prospect pool.

4. We have to draft a 1D out of one of the next two drafts, and thats possible given the depth of talent in both the 2018 and 19 drafts. 

OR

Do it! because:

1. 12 mil for Karlsson is worth much more than 14 mil for two old Sedin's. 

2. As long as Bo,  Pettersson and Boeser aren't included, anyone else is fair game. 

Honestly though I can't see him wanting to come here. 

That's the big one for me.  Not sure Vancouver is close enough to winning for Karlsson to be interested.  I never considered that he could be slowing down do to all of the injuries he has sustained. 

As much as I would love to draft a 1D we don't seem to have Oiler luck at the drafts.  

Dahlen and Juolevi for Karlsson

Ah forget it, what am I thinking? Sacrificing the future for one ego-crazed Swede?

Karlsson will want to sign with a contender, which the Canucks are not.

I can see something like this:

EDM - Karlsson

OTT - RNH, Nurse and a conditional 1st

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Dahlen and Juolevi for Karlsson

Ah forget it, what am I thinking? Sacrificing the future for one ego-crazed Swede?

Karlsson will want to sign with a contender, which the Canucks are not.

I can see something like this:

EDM - Karlsson

OTT - RNH, Nurse and a conditional 1st

I was thinking Toronto as well.  They could offer up a very good package, but I'm no sure if they would have the cap space to sign him.  

Nylander, Kapanen, Liljegren and a 1st

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

i doubt he'd waive his no trade to come to vancouver

the entire discussion is simply fodder for the radio talking heads

who have to figure out some way to fill their time slots

this whole thing is so over blown

if you were karlsson would you waive to come to vancouver.. i think not

lol.  Well said.  It definitely drew me in.  And no I would not come to Vancouver.  Although the Canucks have a track record with Swedish players and have treated their players well by all accounts and aren't afraid to over pay a player lol.  I thought Karlsson might take that into account.

1 minute ago, stuman491 said:

I was thinking Toronto as well.  They could offer up a very good package, but I'm no sure if they would have the cap space to sign him.  

Nylander, Kapanen, Liljegren and a 1st

Could be a possibility.

Another player OTT might be interested in is Draisaitl. Geez, I hope Karlsson stays clear of EDM. They'd have McDavid up front, Karlsson on the back end, and then watch them make a play to get Price. God help us all lol

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Could be a possibility.

Another player OTT might be interested in is Draisaitl. Geez, I hope Karlsson stays clear of EDM. They'd have McDavid up front, Karlsson on the back end, and then watch them make a play to get Price. God help us all lol

That would be scary and bring flashbacks of Coffee and Gretzky.  Not sure it would help their team defense though :lol:

Archived