The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will not hurt this team to miss the playoffs and draft well

*Buzzsaw*

It was a great start to the season... we all saw what potential there is in this team.

The young guys got a taste of winning... the Sedins looked fresher from playing fewer minutes and playing those minutes against weaker opposition lines... and Eriksson showed his contract isn't as much of an albatros as we all feared.

But its time to be realistic... with two of our best offensive sparkplugs gone for the expected length of time, the chances of making the playoffs is slim.

But that ain't entirely a bad thing.  There was a chance of this team peaking too early... like Calgary seems to have done... like the Coilers... (with help from the worst management in NHL history)

Canucks could use another year of high drafts... JB has shown his ability to find nuggets of pure gold even when drafting in the 23rd position.

And if we are sellers at the deadline, we have lots of valuable commodities... with his season so far, Vanek could bring in a nice draft choice.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for a tank... the coach should be pushing this team to compete, but realistically a playoff spot probably won't happen.

Whatever way it turns out, I am happy with how the team is developing and the way the  future looks.  B)

Definitely agree with you.  I was really happy to see a much more entertaining and competitive team take the ice this year.   Wins are always fun to watch, but being able to draft high at least once more will be better for this team in the long run.  As much as I have loved Vanek's play this year I agree that we should flip him at the deadline.  And I think the Sedin's have proved they can come back next year on 1 year deals at a reasonable price and be productive.  

They had a good thing going, and surpassed what I thought they were capable of. Still gives us plenty of reasons to be optimistic going forward. Not saying we'll drop to the bottom of the standings, but with Horvat, Sutter and Baertschi out for several weeks, it'll be tough to win games, and a losing streak will set us back too far. I'm just hoping we can win a few more games over the next 4-6 weeks. Oh well, we can still get excited about the upcoming Draft and the future of this team.

25 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

It was a great start to the season... we all saw what potential there is in this team.

The young guys got a taste of winning... the Sedins looked fresher from playing fewer minutes and playing those minutes against weaker opposition lines... and Eriksson showed his contract isn't as much of an albatros as we all feared.

But its time to be realistic... with two of our best offensive sparkplugs gone for the expected length of time, the chances of making the playoffs is slim.

But that ain't entirely a bad thing.  There was a chance of this team peaking too early... like Calgary seems to have done... like the Coilers... (with help from the worst management in NHL history)

Canucks could use another year of high drafts... JB has shown his ability to find nuggets of pure gold even when drafting in the 23rd position.

And if we are sellers at the deadline, we have lots of valuable commodities... with his season so far, Vanek could bring in a nice draft choice.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for a tank... the coach should be pushing this team to compete, but realistically a playoff spot probably won't happen.

Whatever way it turns out, I am happy with how the team is developing and the way the  future looks.  B)

Benning is pretty inconsistent at drafting.  He has gotten some real gems in Boeser and Demko but he's whiffed on his top two picks.  I hope the best for Virtanen and Juolevi but a lot of people weren't happy at the time, and for good reason.

7 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Benning is pretty inconsistent at drafting.  He has gotten some real gems in Boeser and Demko but he's whiffed on his top two picks.  I hope the best for Virtanen and Juolevi but a lot of people weren't happy at the time, and for good reason.

To be fair, a lot of people weren't happy about Boeser or Pettersson either.

Just now, RRypien37 said:

I don't want to sound like a dick but this is beyond obvious.

This team has no business even contending for a playoff spot. 

You're wrong... this team would have made the playoffs if everyone had stayed healthy.

Look at the number of injury hours and the points they put up.

There was no reason not to expect Horvat/Baertschi to have career seasons... for Boeser to either walk away with the Calder or to be the #1 contender...  the Sedins to hit 50 pts and Eriksson to return to form... good chance to hit 20 goals.  Add in Goldy and Sutter and the rest and you have a big improvement in scoring.  And with Marky and Nilsson playing solidly the Canucks have goaltending which many other teams in the league are envious of.

This is a fine young team RIGHT NOW...   and that doesn't even consider how bright the future prospects who haven't suited up are.

29 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Juolevi and Petterson are actually his 2 top picks, both of whom are presently killing it in their respective mens leagues and on pace to meet/break records.

35 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I don't think he has whiffed on anything it's way to early for that. Virtanen is coming along and tantalizes with what he could become and Juolevi is having a great season so far. If both aren't solid contributors to the team in 2 years time then I would agree with you. 

38 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

He who has given up on Virt will be eating crow. 

The Canucks have NEVER EVER had a (1st overall)draft pick,in almost fifty years,not that that guarantees a great player but it would be nice to have a chance at greatness.

The last two draft with the B.S. lotto system we have dropped two spot both times.

TIME FOR SOME GOOD LUCK,IF YOU ASK ME.

THE KIND THE LEAGUE GAVE THE VEGAS KNIGHTS.

BEFORE VANCOUVER CANUCK FANS GETS SO DISCOURAGED

THEY DON'T BOTHER CARING ANYMORE,OR REALLY STOP BUYING TICKETS.

Archived