The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will not hurt this team to miss the playoffs and draft well

*Buzzsaw*

44 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Read what I said.  I didn't say 'the 6th overall pick', I said 'top-6 picks'.  When you add the other 5 picks like you should have done, you will see that my 70% claim is actually correct.

How are the picks % of the players picked before a team's pick even relevant to the situation at all..

30 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

You guys are all saying that our first-round picks have been so wonderful, well which line-up would you rather have right now:

Pettersson

Juolevi

Boeser

Virtanen

McCann

or

Pettersson

Tkachuk

Boeser

Ehlers

Pastrnak

If you said the former, you are lying.

EDIT:  Oh, and before you say I'm cherry-picking - most all of those guys were the top-ranked player at the time we selected, and we chose to go with a lower-ranked player instead.  That list is the players we should have had, not some pie-in-the-sky hindsight is 20/20 type of list.

I was on the draft Ehlers bandwagon during the draft in 2014 btw, and I didn't care who we picked from Juolevi/Sergachev as long as it was a d-man. I saw what JB saw in Jake, a kid with potential to be a Iginla/Doan impact. It's hard to guess 18 year olds and he could still develop into a solid player. If you redo that draft, that whole top 5 changes with 3/4 of the players getting pushed out of the top 5. But then again, in 10 years maybe not. Hindsight is 20/20.

16 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

But how good is Finland best league?  And I would hope he's doing better than "well" at this point. 

OJ is a player I'm a little worried about. 

If OJ was doing as well as he is now in his draft year, he'd probably be the consensus 1st pick. Obviously it's his +2 year, but I was more worried about him last year when he didn't improve in the OHL. Finland is much harder to play in than the OHL and he's performing at a similar level, so it's positive sign.

I don't mind Juolevi as much as the Virts pick. Juolevi hasn't been as impressive as McAvoy/Serg so far but you dont draft guys to be good the very next season. He still has alot of upside IMO. Virts on the otherhand, I get what they see in him but I think it was a big miss for a rebuilding team where they didn't get the BPA, i'd argue it was obvious at the time aswell.

For the sake of the team I do hope I'm eating crow re: Virtanen at some point down the road but we will see.

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

It was a great start to the season... we all saw what potential there is in this team.

The young guys got a taste of winning... the Sedins looked fresher from playing fewer minutes and playing those minutes against weaker opposition lines... and Eriksson showed his contract isn't as much of an albatros as we all feared.

But its time to be realistic... with two of our best offensive sparkplugs gone for the expected length of time, the chances of making the playoffs is slim.

But that ain't entirely a bad thing.  There was a chance of this team peaking too early... like Calgary seems to have done... like the Coilers... (with help from the worst management in NHL history)

Canucks could use another year of high drafts... JB has shown his ability to find nuggets of pure gold even when drafting in the 23rd position.

And if we are sellers at the deadline, we have lots of valuable commodities... with his season so far, Vanek could bring in a nice draft choice.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for a tank... the coach should be pushing this team to compete, but realistically a playoff spot probably won't happen.

Whatever way it turns out, I am happy with how the team is developing and the way the  future looks.  B)

Completely agree. We are going the right direction, just need some more of the kids to develop and make the team. We have an incredible depth of talent that is coming up and nearly ready to start playing.

Future really looks bright!

Juolevi is still on track to become a top pairing d-man in my opinion. His points per game of 0.7 in the Finish League is the second best all-time by a U20 d-man and the best since 1980. There aren't a ton of world class players on the list, but a few of the names he's ahead of are Teppo Numminen, Kimmo Timonen, Joni Pitkanen, Sami Vatanen and Miro Heiskanen.

Had most people been asked last year what they thought of the two picks ahead of Juolevi, Dubois and Puljujarvi, they likely would have said they were both bad picks. Dubois is playing amazing in the NHL now and Puljujarvi is looking pretty good too. Different players take different amounts of time to develop. 

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

You guys are all saying that our first-round picks have been so wonderful, well which line-up would you rather have right now:

Pettersson

Juolevi

Boeser

Virtanen

McCann

or

Pettersson

Tkachuk

Boeser

Ehlers

Pastrnak

If you said the former, you are lying.

EDIT:  Oh, and before you say I'm cherry-picking - most all of those guys were the top-ranked player at the time we selected, and we chose to go with a lower-ranked player instead.  That list is the players we should have had, not some pie-in-the-sky hindsight is 20/20 type of list.

I bet every team would like to go back in time and make some different draft choices. It's not possible to pick the best player every  time. I would say the only top pick that has burned us so far is Virtanen. I can see why Benning went with a player like Virtanen though. He can still become a complimentary piece in the top 6. He needs to be able to play a straight line physical game along with some skilled players

3 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

OK, so let's add that up...

Boeser:  chosen 23rd - now valued 6 = a rise of 17 spots

Pettersson:  chosen 5th - now valued 3 = a rise of 2 spots

Juolevi:  chosen 5th - now valued 10th to 12th = a fall of 5 to 7 spots

Virtanen:  chosen 6h - now valued 25th to 35th = a fall of 19 to 29 spots

That's a average loss almost 3 spots per selection!  That's turning all your 5th overalls into 7th and 8th overalls.

By that logic, should we factor in Demko, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovic, Tryamkin, and Forsling?

Remember Boston's 2015 draft? 3 first rounders in a row:

13th Zboril

14th Debrusk

15th Senyshyn

Right after that:

16 Barzal

18 Chabot

20 Eriksson Ek

23 Boeser

That one has to sting

Oh, and these are the same scouts who picked Pastrnak and McAvoy. Nobody gets it right with every pick, nobody.

10 minutes ago, shazzam said:

I bet every team would like to go back in time and make some different draft choices. It's not possible to pick the best player every  time. I would say the only top pick that has burned us so far is Virtanen. I can see why Benning went with a player like Virtanen though. He can still become a complimentary piece in the top 6. He needs to be able to play a straight line physical game along with some skilled players

Exactly, how does Buffalo feel about not taking Draisatl. Or Calgary (Bennet), NYI (Dal Colle), Carloina (Fleury) feel. 

Larkin #15 & Pastranek #25 well more than half & almost all the teams missed those. Not just Canucks. 

#1 Florida Panthers 3.png Aaron Ekblad (D)  4 256 43 65 108 160
#2 Buffalo Sabres 3.png Sam Reinhart (C/RW)  4 197 45 56 101 24
#3 Edmonton Oilers 21.png Leon Draisaitl (C/RW)  4 217 58 100 158 54
#4 Calgary Flames 3.png Sam Bennett (C/LW)  4 189 35 39 74 132
#5 New York Islanders 3.png Michael Dal Colle (LW)            
#6 Vancouver Canucks 3.png Jake Virtanen (RW)  3 91 11 10 21 47
#7 Carolina Hurricanes 3.png Haydn Fleury (D)  1 26 0 4 4 6
#8 Toronto Maple Leafs 1.png William Nylander (C/RW)  3 134 33 62 95 40
#9 Winnipeg Jets 7.png Nikolaj Ehlers (LW/RW)  3 184 53 72 125 69
#10 Anaheim Ducks 3.png Nick Ritchie (LW)  3 137 19 22 41 133
#11 Nashville Predators 10.png Kevin Fiala (LW/RW)  4 88 17 19 36 28
#12 Arizona Coyotes 3.png Brendan Perlini (LW/RW)  2 84 22 9 31 30
#13 Washington Capitals 8.png Jakub Vrána (LW/RW)  2 50 11 7 18 4
#14 Dallas Stars 2.png Julius Honka (D)  2 25 1 4 5 6
#15 Detroit Red Wings 6.png Dylan Larkin (C/LW)  3 189 44 56 100 97
#16 Columbus Blue Jackets 6.png Sonny Milano (LW/RW)  3 32 5 6 11 4
#17 Philadelphia Flyers 3.png Travis Sanheim (D)  1 26 0 4 4 12
#18 Minnesota Wild 6.png Alex Tuch (RW/C)  2 31 7 8 15 8
#19 Tampa Bay Lightning 6.png Anthony DeAngelo (D)  2 47 5 10 15 39
#20 Chicago Blackhawks 6.png Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)  2 87 11 34 45 14
#21 St. Louis Blues 3.png Robby Fabbri (C/LW)  3 123 29 37 66 52
#22 Pittsburgh Penguins 2.png Kasperi Kapanen (RW/LW)  3 20 1 0 1 2
#23 Colorado Avalanche 3.png Conner Bleackley (C)            
#24 Vancouver Canucks 3.png Jared McCann (C/LW)  3 116 14 19 33 47
#25 Boston Bruins 8.png David Pastrnak (RW)  4 199 73 77 150 72
#26 Montréal Canadiens 9.png Nikita Scherbak (RW/LW)  2 5 1 0 1 0
#27 San Jose Sharks 9.png Nikolay Goldobin (RW/LW)  3 27 5 2 7 2
#28 New York Islanders 3.png Joshua Ho-Sang (RW)  2 40 6 16 22 14
#29 Los Angeles Kings 1.png Adrian Kempe (LW/RW)  2 55 12 11 23 22
#30 New Jersey Devils 3.png John Quenneville (C/W)  1 12 1 3 4 2

11 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

13th Zboril

14th Debrusk

15th Senyshyn

Right after that:

16 Barzal

18 Chabot

20 Eriksson Ek

23 Boeser

That one has to sting

Benning: There are still 13 picks ahead of us. There's no way we are getting Boeser. 

Walks up to the podium and silently thanks Boston

Boeser 

7 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

13th Zboril

14th Debrusk

15th Senyshyn

Right after that:

16 Barzal

18 Chabot

20 Eriksson Ek

23 Boeser

That one has to sting

Oh, and these are the same scouts who picked Pastrnak and McAvoy. Nobody gets it right with every pick, nobody.

Looking back at that draft, it's not too far fetched to say Boeser falls in the 3-4 range

Only pick you could really be upset at is Virtanen.

Juolevi isn't as nearly a big of a loss. Especially when you compare it to what other teams lost.

If this month goes to the gutter than we should consider selling. If one more key player is lost we are hooped.

Good job we've got some assets to sell.

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Only pick you could really be upset at is Virtanen.

Juolevi isn't as nearly a big of a loss. Especially when you compare it to what other teams lost.

If this month goes to the gutter than we should consider selling. If one more key player is lost we are hooped.

Good job we've got some assets to sell.

I hope we can sell MDZ, Gagner, Burm, Edler, and maybe Gudbranson…but that's maybe too drastic

We can all agree that benning missed on Virtanen.

overall however he has done a masterful job drafting for this franchise.  We currently boast the best group of prospects we’ve ever seen in this organization, and I’m not exaggerating.

ive been a die hard fan since 1990.  This group that’s coming along is going to be a very good core group.  All we really lack is that top pair RHD that can drive offence, and some grit. 

55 minutes ago, gobi said:

Benning: There are still 13 picks ahead of us. There's no way we are getting Boeser. 

Walks up to the podium and silently thanks Boston

Yeah, I wonder where JB and the scouts had Boeser ranked? The 10 to 15 neighborhood? They were  sure surprised he fell to us.

2 hours ago, shazzam said:

Boeser 

Looking back at that draft, it's not too far fetched to say Boeser falls in the 3-4 range

With the early look, I'd say top 5 for sure. It'll be a few more years before it's clear.

Edit: Wow, crazy that was only two years ago and already 10 players have over 100 NHL games played. Hanafin is closing in on 200.

Archived