The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“No excuses. Everyone is working, but we needed a better effort than we had today. Taking that many penalties will always be costly against a team like that.” - Tanev

Tanev should be embarrased to allow his stick to be flicked out of his hands like a little kid being schooled OMG cost us a goal too.

Referees and Linesmen absolutely stank the arena out with their cr*p calls... cost the Canucks at least two goals... the momentum, and probably the game.  :angry:

First thing I'd say... while you have to salute the Sedins for trying their best, and Boeser for his great hands... this team will not win a lot of games with the Sedins being the #1 line.  I understand why the coach is doing it, but it basically means the Canucks have only one line which is a real threat.  :blush:

I would like to see Granlund get more offensive opportunities... its good he's on the #1 PP unit, but would like to see him with Boeser on a line with Goldy.   Sedins should be back with Eriksson again.  I think that would be more balanced.

Do not think much of Dowd... in my opinion he was a mistake.  I understand Benning wanted some grit... and something for the PK... but I'm not seeing anything but poor judgement and not a lot of hockey skill.

Markstrom played well, but again he let in that first soft goal... which meant the Canucks were playing catchup all night.  I think Marky is a better goalie than Nilsson, but he does need to get his head on track for the opening 5 minutes of a game.

Sorry to say it is likely not to get much better until Sutter gets back and brings some faceoff expertise and shutdown hockey to this team.

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Back with yet another random response 

seriously man get some mental help 

do you think anybody on here takes you  or what you spew seriously? 

Now I argue with Old New once in a while................but you can't ignore the amount of pluses he has or the % of pluses to posts....not the highest, but a hell of a lot higher than you or I....

Regrettably!.........LOL

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

TG talked about Goldy's practice habits, I like how TG is giving him some tough love, makes you think when he got pissed off last practice, despite him saying that to everyone, he was referring to Goldy.  

Goldy has the ability to change the game in a matter of seconds, he is that skilled, but his work ethic and attention to detail needs to develop in order for him to be a difference maker. 

This team had filled the 3rd and 4th lines with pure grinders for the past 2 seasons and anyone who is not blind can see what results they got . With all the injuries to their top forwards TG tried to replace talents with pluggers like Chaput and Dowd. Chaput was a -12 last season and today his turnover in the defensive zone in the last seconds of a PK had cost this team the game and showed exactly how bad he is defensively. Dowd's needless penalty cost the Canucks the 3rd goal and simply put the last nail in the coffin. TG is an idiot when he talked about how tough it is to score a goal in the NHL when he put a goal scorer Goldobin on the bench when his team cannot score. Burmistrov did not played great but he was not bad either for a 4th line center. He is way better than Dowd and Chaput however you look at it. Dowd and Chaput being good at practice won't give this team success with the way they perform in games. If this team does not want to play Goldobin and Burmistrov with the injuries they have and choose grinders Dowd and Chaput instead, they should trade away both to get some values back. Goldobin and Burmistrov should ask for a trade asap if they really want to play in the NHL. There is no point for them to waste time with this sorry team. The alternative is for them to Tryamkin this team again ,which it deserves, and get back to the KHL.

TG made himself look stupid when he talked about tough to score goals in the NHL. Just watch Markstrom and you know it is not true. How many more goals Markstrom has to give up in the 1st shot he faces within the first two minutes in a game before he would be removed from the anointed number one goalie status? I don't believe it is going to happen as Markstrom had worked with both TG and Cloutier before. Now that Markstrom has given up 5 goals and has a save% of .792 in a game, he will be given the chance to redeem himself in the next game. This was exactly how Crawford had killed Cloutier's career both in Vancouver and LA. Cloutier always got the start in the next game after he had a bad one, allowing him to rebound. This put more pressure on Cloutier to perform and he was more shaky and gave up more bad goals and his career went into a downward spiral. The same will happen to Markstrom this season. Why would any team play a goalie with a losing record more often than the one with a winning record? There is a reason why the Jets are successful this season. They did not look good, with Mason in goal in their first few games, until they changed their goalie. I think it ia also time for Nilsson to ask for a trade and not to waste time with this team. 

Time for this team to focus on the draft day in June.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Dowd was another mistake added to as a desperation move.Why can't we friggin try our own kids in Utica. They should get a chance to stink up the place before Dowd and Gagner. Damn we hate our kids or what. Give them a freekin chance for once.

It's early days and Dowd may come on but I must say I don't see how he can be any better than say LaBate, MacEwen or D'aoust. I wish we had kept and signed Valk, at least he could create openings.

11 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

It's early days and Dowd may come on but I must say I don't see how he can be any better than say LaBate, MacEwen or D'aoust. I wish we had kept and signed Valk, at least he could create openings.

While their MAY be better options thag Chaput and dowd in the minors they're not the current issue. When your top players are out your secondary sco4ing needs to step up. 

I'm looking at Sam 9agner. What exactly does he do on this team? Score? Nope. Defensive? Nope. Physical? Nope. 

I can provide more for the 3x3 contract he was gifted.  

2 hours ago, afan said:

This team had filled the 3rd and 4th lines with pure grinders for the past 2 seasons and anyone who is not blind can see what results they got . With all the injuries to their top forwards TG tried to replace talents with pluggers like Chaput and Dowd. Chaput was a -12 last season and today his turnover in the defensive zone in the last seconds of a PK had cost this team the game and showed exactly how bad he is defensively. Dowd's needless penalty cost the Canucks the 3rd goal and simply put the last nail in the coffin. TG is an idiot when he talked about how tough it is to score a goal in the NHL when he put a goal scorer Goldobin on the bench when his team cannot score. Burmistrov did not played great but he was not bad either for a 4th line center. He is way better than Dowd and Chaput however you look at it. Dowd and Chaput being good at practice won't give this team success with the way they perform in games. If this team does not want to play Goldobin and Burmistrov with the injuries they have and choose grinders Dowd and Chaput instead, they should trade away both to get some values back. Goldobin and Burmistrov should ask for a trade asap if they really want to play in the NHL. There is no point for them to waste time with this sorry team. The alternative is for them to Tryamkin this team again ,which it deserves, and get back to the KHL.

TG made himself look stupid when he talked about tough to score goals in the NHL. Just watch Markstrom and you know it is not true. How many more goals Markstrom has to give up in the 1st shot he faces within the first two minutes in a game before he would be removed from the anointed number one goalie status? I don't believe it is going to happen as Markstrom had worked with both TG and Cloutier before. Now that Markstrom has given up 5 goals and has a save% of .792 in a game, he will be given the chance to redeem himself in the next game. This was exactly how Crawford had killed Cloutier's career both in Vancouver and LA. Cloutier always got the start in the next game after he had a bad one, allowing him to rebound. This put more pressure on Cloutier to perform and he was more shaky and gave up more bad goals and his career went into a downward spiral. The same will happen to Markstrom this season. Why would any team play a goalie with a losing record more often than the one with a winning record? There is a reason why the Jets are successful this season. They did not look good, with Mason in goal in their first few games, until they changed their goalie. I think it ia also time for Nilsson to ask for a trade and not to waste time with this team. 

Time for this team to focus on the draft day in June.

I think you are short changing TG AND the Canucks.

5 on 5 I have never seen the Jets so subdued. Considering who was NOT in our team I thought we performed pretty well. Let's face it, even when we are all fit we lack goal scoring further down the order.

It wasn't Green who traded for Dowd (although he may have had some input) and like Willie it won't help TG to leave a JB player out of the team. I have never been that sold on Markstrom and said at the time we would miss Miller but again, it's not all down to him.

What is really f---- this team at present apart from the silly penalties is our lack of FO wins. If you lose the face of (especially on a PK) you are immediately up against it.

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

While their MAY be better options thag Chaput and dowd in the minors they're not the current issue. When your top players are out your secondary sco4ing needs to step up. 

I'm looking at Sam 9agner. What exactly does he do on this team? Score? Nope. Defensive? Nope. Physical? Nope. 

I can provide more for the 3x3 contract he was gifted.  

We don't often agree but I must say from being one who was mildly pleased with the Gagner signing I think he has proved a huge disappointment.

Acquiring Dowd was okay, by me. Gotta leave some kids for the Comets.

Gagner

Burmi

MDZ

Vanek

..even Nilsson

Bunch of decent, yet mediocre vets, to 'bear the brunt' of a rough season.

The roster will be really interesting in March, after TDL. Especially if guys like Dahlen/Gaudette can be brought in/signed.

6 hours ago, Green Building said:

And I can understand where you're coming from. What we see out of Goldy's play in games is offensive skill, and some sexy passes, but that's not enough to stay in the NHL. I believe Green is showing him that you can't get away with certain play or habits up here like you can in Utica, and yeah, the hope is that Goldy gets it sooner than later. His play without the puck has improved from atrocious to beer league, and jokes aside, I commend Goldobin for that improvement. He has more in him though, and Green is trying to get it out.

Again, I never advocate comparing Goldy's play to Gagner's because only 1 of those guys is expected to be contributing to the team in 2 or 3 years time, and it ain't Gagner. 

Yeah and whether we like it or not only one of them has had an NHL career worth a damn and it ain't Goldy.

I don't like what Gagner is bringing and I would love to have Goldy in the team however despite ALL the stick WD took on here for not playing Goldy, we can now see that TG applies the same criteria/standards to assess a player's suitability to stay in this team. 

Hard work, and defensive responsibility MUST accompany skill - look at Boeser as an example.

Archived