The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

My take on this game.

-We had a great first. 

-Gagner took a stupid penalty 200 ft from our end, and then smiled in the "as if thats a penalty haha" kind of manner, even though it was an obvious call. They scored 2 minutes later.

-Goldobin should have played

-Dowd is a waste of a spot,at least right now.

-gotta win a face off for christ sakes

-Virtanen is insanely good at the little things like puck battles, stripping the puck, but he should hit a bit more to get the defensement to hesitate, which would open up his possibilities on the forecheck

-Vanek is one of the most pure skilled players ive ever watched play, but doesnt work hard enough

-Boeser is the real deal

-Pouliot is the real deal

-Tanev needs to stop killing the play in the Defensive zone by bracing the hit and putting the puck in his feet, causing a board battle that he loses 80% of the time. Im starting to really dislike his game. 

- we need gudbranson more than 80% of cdc woild like to admit

-Markstrom should not have played, this was Nilsson's game. 

+1... agree with most of what you said. 

Dowd: Gotta give him a few more chances... he's only getting like 8 minutes of ice. He must have nerves when it comes to faceoffs because his skill has not transferred from LA 

Vanek: I think he has limited gas in the tank at this stage of his career... or at least less than he did in his twenties. I think he pushes himself when he feels it's most important. In order for him to break loose or get a shot opportunity. He's really a joy to watch

Tanev: You're not wrong here... I've noticed this a lot too this year and last year. I wouldn't say %80 of the time he loses, it's definitely not that much better than that. He needs more support from his linemates too though.

12 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I got tickets on Sunday, hope to see both Goldy and Boeser in the line up and no plugs.

It's a home game so I think you're probably good to go.

People may not like it, but with the state of the current lineup, it's understandable why Green may not want to throw Goldobin into the fire in Winnipeg with the lineup they ice and the last change.

There may also be an element of 'asset management' to the decision.  Burmistrov wants to play, wants to move on - get him on the ice for 18 minutes and let any potential suitors see what he currently looks like - perhaps they can extract something out of it as opposed to waivers.

In any event, my guess would be that Goldobin returns to the lineup, but that Green doesn't play him through night in night out through the rest of the grind of a season, particularly when the lineup is depleted and there is a reasonable likelihood of getting rekt on the road.  Not ideal, but it's hard to find relatively sheltered minutes for anyone right now - quite the opposite.

I imagine Green is hoping to preserve some of Goldobin's building confidence?  Would be nice to see a Goldobin Granlund Boeser line next home game though.

1 hour ago, JoshuaGuy said:

I’m not saying it’s happened to me or that it bothers me. I’m saying if a Canuck does that it’s called. Understand, big boy?

I didn’t bat an eye when it happened. 

Rule 56, Interference, 56.2: A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who deliberately knocks a stick out of an opponent’s hand, or who prevents a player who has dropped his stick or any other piece of equipment from regaining possession of it.

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

Hold your hockey stick like a big boy.  Problem solved.

@riffraff @JoshuaGuy 

For what it's worth, I think both of you guys are right. Don't hold your stick like an infant and it will remain in your hands across most/all situations, but if someone manages to swat it out with force then it's interference. Like most rules, there's some give and take in how it is enforced and interpreted by refs on any given night.

7 minutes ago, riffraff said:

So if I just lightly cross checked your face, you’re okay with that? I mean it’s technically against the rules but I was somewhat gentle. 

I am not disagreeing that Tanev should maybe hold his stick, but aside from that it’s illegal to knock his stick out of his hands as per official nhl rule book. 

Just now, Green Building said:

@riffraff @JoshuaGuy 

For what it's worth, I think both of you guys are right. Don't hold your stick like an infant and it will remain in your hands across most/all situations, but if someone manages to swat it out with force then it's interference. Like most rules, there's some give and take in how it is enforced and interpreted by refs on any given night.

I don’t like grey areas. Not just hockey related, I like rules to be black and white. 

3 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

So if I just lightly cross checked your face, you’re okay with that? I mean it’s technically against the rules but I was somewhat gentle. 

I am not disagreeing that Tanev should maybe hold his stick, but aside from that it’s illegal to knock his stick out of his hands as per official nhl rule book. 

Honestly I don't see how it's possible for one professional athlete to knock a stick out of another professional athletes hand barring a huge size disparity ie chara vs ennis.  

Possibly on a downward slash.

but on that play, tanev a stick was flicked out of his grasp which means:

a.) actually  has the grip of a 5 year old 

b.) was simply holding it with the grip of a 5 year old

c.) wasn't intense enough on the play.

d.) has an injured hand(s)

I can understand and appreciate that, but unfortunately that is not the reality of the NHL, or much outside of it. Math is black and white. Humans will likely never be as absolute as numbers.

I’m not talking about humans though, I’m talking about rules put in place. I can understand extenuating circumstances but when it comes to following every day law/rules, it should be black and white. Theft is theft, assault is assault and the penalties should be dealt accordingly. 

1 minute ago, JoshuaGuy said:

I’m not talking about humans though, I’m talking about rules put in place. I can understand extenuating circumstances but when it comes to following every day law/rules, it should be black and white. Theft is theft, assault is assault and the penalties should be dealt accordingly. 

Humans put laws in place.

i hear there are many different types of humans.

1 minute ago, JoshuaGuy said:

You are talking about humans; humans enforce these rules. 

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Honestly I don't see how it's possible for one professional athlete to knock a stick out of another professional athletes hand barring a huge size disparity ie chara vs ennis.  

The puck wasn’t anywhere near him though. How he grips his stick when puck isn’t in play is no ones business. It was enough force to send it 15 feet in the air. Maybe he was in the middle of readjusting his grip? Shouldn’t matter. It’s not a legal play. Injured hand? Shouldn’t matter ... not a legal play. 

You are talking about humans; humans enforce these rules. 

According to written law though, which in my experience doesn’t have grey areas written in them.

“Okay sir, you definitely raped her but in your defense she wasn’t squeezing her knees together very tightly. I don’t know if her legs are injured or if she just has the leg strength of a 5 year old but she should’ve squeezed harder.”

Nope. 

3 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

The puck wasn’t anywhere near him though. How he grips his stick when puck isn’t in play is no ones business. It was enough force to send it 15 feet in the air. Maybe he was in the middle of readjusting his grip? Shouldn’t matter. It’s not a legal play. Injured hand? Shouldn’t matter ... not a legal play. 

Guys knock sticks all the time even if the getting knocked guy doesn't have the puck.  Various reasons why of which I won't get into.  In this over officiated nhlNHL, a call on this play would just add to the too many calls as it is.

again: the grey areas of NHL officiating.

12 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Certainly not A. 

It's a combination of B and C if you ask me... I think it's just a sign that a players "head" just isn't there at that moment and he's not gripping. He could be thinking of something else, or has something else on his mind. 

But seriously, if you're on the PK... you should really be prepared and focus. 

It's simply a lack of focus.

Archived