The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets

-Vintage Canuck-

51 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

Jets won 60+% of the faceoffs last night and a huge part of Green's system is having possession long enough to make teams go get pucks so we can set up our trap or whatever you want to call it. We need Sutter back to at least give us some strength on draws.

You can't chase a team like Winnpeg all night. We'd lose to Arizona giving 60% of the draws.

Without Horvat and Sutter this is not really surprising...

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I've already stated a few times it wasn't a chop.  I admitted that a proper slash would knock a stick out of a set of hands from time to time.

what happened to tanev was not a chop.

edit.

yes I play.

and I've flicked a guys stick out of his l hands - first face off at the start of the game.  Why? Cos I knew he wasn't ready.

That was you? Bastard!

I live in Winnipeg but I'm a canucks fan and but I do like our jets but I bleed blue and green have for a long time all day long on our radio stations that's all its been like how the jets are back they looked so good bla bla bla frack someone forgot to tell them they barley beat a AHL team cuz really that's what canucks are right now I cant weight to see Vancouver healthy for a rematch shut some of these idiots up here in winterpeg :o

Spoiler
Spoiler

:goat:

18 hours ago, smithers joe said:

everybody has different expectations for this team. i see a team that is going to struggle with 2/3 rds of their first line out and 2/3rd of their best checking line out. i like the gaunce, chaput and virtanen line. i hope when sutter comes back, they put granlund and ericksson on his line. i predicted that we would only get 3 wins in december. we've got 2 so far. green has to keep on, patching a line up todether. the losses will mount. making the play offs will be tough.

Its seems to be going the way most expected at the start of the season. Good start, playing well, youth getting better and then the dreaded injury bug.... the vets running out of gas etc. 

Still like the way we've performed overall this season. Been a positive experience and bodes well for the future.

i'm not sure, what some fans want from a rebuilding team with 5 major players out of the line up.

some fans want the first over all draft pick but still want to win every game. 

players, coaches and gm's are great when the team wins but ogres when they lose. 

the way i look at it is, if they play their best, whether their best is good enough or not, they will have my support. 

we all want our team to win but until our young guys are ready for the big club, we will struggle to stay competitive.

26 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i'm not sure, what some fans want from a rebuilding team with 5 major players out of the line up.

players, coaches and gm's are great when the team wins but ogres when they lose. 

the way i look at it is, if they play their best, whether their best is good enough or not, they will have my support. 

we all want our team to win but until our young guys are ready for the big club, we will struggle to stay competitive.

After every lose we come in here and  read all the negativity being expounded - everyone wanted a rebuild 

Well we can't have a rebuild and not lose games - the young guns have to learn and I for one am ever so grateful they are learning  to play in this league lead by the veterans we have

I so agree with you Smithers Joe - we all want to win but the bottom line is we all can't win all of the time

Thanks for always being so positive and being the voice of reason some days n here

Personally I'm not pissed off that we lost. We had a surprisingly good 1st period and got into penalty trouble which cost us the game. With a severely depleted lineup to boot. What really jerks my chain is the fact that the officiating in my opinion was and currently is atrocious in the NHL. Anyone remember the penalty shot call against us a while back? Last nights one handed love tap slash wouldn't have been a penalty in a local peewee game. So maybe if this is game management, where are our power plays off some feeble plays?

Canucks/Jets PGT

to

5 hours ago, JoshuaGuy said:

“Okay sir, you definitely raped her but in your defense she wasn’t squeezing her knees together very tightly. I don’t know if her legs are injured or if she just has the leg strength of a 5 year old but she should’ve squeezed harder.”

7422E276-6223-4904-9586-A718A7DA886D.jpeg.9b012e27a348846a9c2f529dc68be7e9.jpeg

51 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

It's said you'd best split, your true wants & needs

Not surprisin' one bit, a fanbase hardly heeds

Folks callin' for wins

Makin' plans after twins

Just let's say don't quit, & we'll see where it leads

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

I've already stated a few times it wasn't a chop.  I admitted that a proper slash would knock a stick out of a set of hands from time to time.

what happened to tanev was not a chop.

edit.

yes I play.

and I've flicked a guys stick out of his l hands - first face off at the start of the game.  Why? Cos I knew he wasn't ready.

Rule 56, Interference, 56.2: A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who deliberately knocks a stick out of an opponent’s hand, or who prevents a player who has dropped his stick or any other piece of equipment from regaining possession of it.

This doesn’t specify it has to be a 2 hand downward motion, does it? So far your argument is “it’s not called because it’s not called” as far as I can tell. 

Is it just me or is NHL officiating more erratic and frustrating than it's been in years? I would love to see an independent third party ranking or scouting of referees. Do teams pre -scout officials? If not the Canucks should have scout teams for referees or review their game tapes to try and get some clue about these painfully poor and erratic calls that seem to surface at the worst possible times. I had to stop watching this game after the two lame calls that led to power play goals. The Canucks probably would have lost this game anyway but they didn't need a double kick in the gonads from the referees...

kick in the nads.jpg

4 hours ago, my dog cruz said:

I live in Winnipeg but I'm a canucks fan and but I do like our jets but I bleed blue and green have for a long time all day long on our radio stations that's all its been like how the jets are back they looked so good bla bla bla frack someone forgot to tell them they barley beat a AHL team cuz really that's what canucks are right now I cant weight to see Vancouver healthy for a rematch shut some of these idiots up here in winterpeg :o

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, the play by play was mentioning Buff and another player on the Jets being out and the team being banged up....they actually were equating it to the Canucks being banged up...lol. I would say they underestimate the amount the Canucks are banged up.

But when you see the Canucks line up, all the vets are on it and playing...they too think, the vets are the straw that stir the drink. Boy are they mistaken.

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

It's a home game so I think you're probably good to go.

People may not like it, but with the state of the current lineup, it's understandable why Green may not want to throw Goldobin into the fire in Winnipeg with the lineup they ice and the last change.

There may also be an element of 'asset management' to the decision.  Burmistrov wants to play, wants to move on - get him on the ice for 18 minutes and let any potential suitors see what he currently looks like - perhaps they can extract something out of it as opposed to waivers.

In any event, my guess would be that Goldobin returns to the lineup, but that Green doesn't play him through night in night out through the rest of the grind of a season, particularly when the lineup is depleted and there is a reasonable likelihood of getting rekt on the road.  Not ideal, but it's hard to find relatively sheltered minutes for anyone right now - quite the opposite.

I imagine Green is hoping to preserve some of Goldobin's building confidence?  Would be nice to see a Goldobin Granlund Boeser line next home game though.

TBH when I got the tickets but it was way before all these injuries. And going to a game potentialling watching plugs like Dowd, Chaput etc. in the line up and while trying desperately not to lose instead of trying to win is not fun. For the first time I a actually don't look forward to go to a game. Fingers cross that atleast the guys I want to see Boeser, Virtanen, Goldobin would be healthy enough and not scratched on that game so there's atleast some value in attending the game.

2 hours ago, gregthehockeynut said:

Is it just me or is NHL officiating more erratic and frustrating than it's been in years?

Don't see it that way at all.  See it as more of the same - as it has been - for years and years.

Sutherland, O"Halloran, Lee, Rooney, Kowal - just awful.

And then there are the guys that take you on the less predictable adventures - ie Tim Peel.

For the best league in the world, the quality of officiating is bush league (that is, unless you're the league itself, looking at it from a game management perspective).

6 hours ago, my dog cruz said:

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

you're better than me man. Born in Winnipeg, live in Vancouver but can't see myself ever being a fulltime jets fan. I guess if Winnipeg had a team during the time I used to live there, then things would be a whole lot different.

7 minutes ago, Odd. said:

you're better than me man. Born in Winnipeg, live in Vancouver but can't see myself ever being a fulltime jets fan. I guess if Winnipeg had a team during the time I used to live there, then things would be a whole lot different.

I hear you bud we never had a team here for a long time but we did have the nucks farm club the moose everyone here seems to forget that so lots of people here became canucks fans not me though iv been for years been through it all 

5 hours ago, smithers joe said:

I hear ya and agree 100%.  I guess I'm a glass half full guy.  I'd like to win and if we can't win I'd like us to be competitive.  If we can't win or be competitive with the loss of Dorse, Guddy, Bo, Sutts and Sven; then I look at the Mock 2018 NHL Entry Draft and see the potential player we get as we move up in the Draft. :)  

Anyway, the way things are with those players out (or gone, in the case of Dorse), I don't think we should get our hopes up for reaching the playoffs.  This is likely going to be a rough ride for the next 6 weeks.  I just hope Benning doesn't panic and give up on the under 24 yr old players unless we get a better under 24 year old player(s).  We need to accumulate more assets (young NHLers or more draft picks).  I'd really like us to get one more Draft pick in the first or second round - it looks like it might be a pretty strong draft year in 2018 from some of the rumours.

To add another comment to what I already posted:

This Jets team is a legitimate contender.

They have everything they need to go deep into the playoffs... size, speed, multiple elite goalscorers, playmaking and with the way Hellebuyck is playing right now, Stanley Cup level goaltending.

They are built for the playoffs.

I would not be surprised at all to see this team face up against Nashville in the Western Conference finals.

So its not much of a surprise they over-powered a beat-up Canuck team... the surprise on my part was the Canucks were actually competitive 5 on 5 for most of the game.

Archived