The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Might be the most natural goalscorer I've played with"

*Buzzsaw*

If you watched the game, and watched the intermission, you saw Henrik's interview where he was asked about Boeser.

His reply has to say something about how good this kid is... and will be.

From my perspective Henrik Sedin is the guy who is least likely to exaggerate... bullsh*t... or otherwise string a line.

Let's take the remark in context... who has Henrik played with?

The obvious ones which come to mind:

Marcus Naslund... 48 goal season... #1 alltime season goalscoring leader among Swedes.

Daniel... 41 goal season

Linden...  33 goal season.

Not a bad group to be compared with... but lets also remember who else Henrik played with when he was on the Swedish Olympic team:

Matts Sundin...  47 goal season

Henrik Zetterberg...  43 goal season

Daniel Alfredsson... 42 goal season

Peter Forsberg...   38 goal season

If Henrik thinks Brock "The Bullet" Boeser is in the same scoring league as the above list... then we will have a lot of happy Canuck fans in the future.   B)

It's a big compliment coming from the all-time points leader that has been in the league for 17 years and has played with great linemates in the past as you mentioned. He may be correct too with the way Boeser has continued to score. 20 goals in his first 37 NHL games in this age and he is only 20 years old - it's remarkable what he is doing and is on par with some of the best prospects of this era.

His quick release kind of reminds me of Brett Hull (0.584 career GPG)...right now Brock is scoring at a 0.571 GPG rate.

Brett also played collegiate hockey and was also criticized early in his career for his skating ability...oh yeah and then there's the hair...eerily similar...

16 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Normally true! If that far?

Boeser has legitimately grabbed some attention on all the major news outlets. Hockey sources...

Even out East. 

makes sense, looking back at the 2015 draft, he's easily arguable as a top 10 pick in a draft day re-do and its a very strong group. And thats with being a below average skater, if he can get working with a power skating coach the kids going to be able to get even better. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2015e.html

I think it's pretty obvious that if Brock chose to stay in Vancouver all his career, he would likely be our all time goals leader... and likely points too. 

He's jumped into the NHL and has just done nothing but dominate. Doesn't matter what line he's been on, he's elevated his game. His a special, special talent. 

To add further, he certainly is the most natural goal scorer I've seen on our team since 2001.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

makes sense, looking back at the 2015 draft, he's easily arguable as a top 10 pick in a draft day re-do and its a very strong group. And thats with being a below average skater, if he can get working with a power skating coach the kids going to be able to get even better. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2015e.html

I think top 10 is a given... I know it's only 37 games into his career, but his talent is not a mirage. Here's my top 10... 

I wouldn't be surprised if Brock over takes Eichel at some point for the clear #2

1. Poor Man's Derek Dorsett

2. Jack Eichel 

3. Brock Boeser 

4. Werenski

5. Barzal  

6. Marner

7. Aho 

8. Hanifin

9. Provorov

10. Rantanen 

7 minutes ago, apollo said:

I think top 10 is a given... I know it's only 37 games into his career, but his talent is not a mirage. Here's my top 10... 

I wouldn't be surprised if Brock over takes Eichel at some point for the clear #2

2. Jack Eichel 

3. Brock Boeser 

4. Werenski

5. Barzal  

6. Marner

7. Aho 

8. Hanifin

9. Provorov

10. Rantanen 

I think he's more around 6. Barzal is probably going to be leading the league in assists, or near the top for the next decade. He also plays a more valuable position. 

1. McDavid

2. Eichel

3. Werenski

4. Provorov

5. Barzal

6. Boeser

Marner is up there too, he's having a sophomore slump, much like you can expect for Boeser next year

the thing I'm most impressed with is that he doesn't seem to miss the net ... like, ever.  when he shoots the puck, one of 4 things happen:

1) it goes in a corner

2) it goes through the goalie due to sheer force

3) it hits the goalie (this isn't the same as making a save. at best it's fighting it off)

4) it gets deflected or blocked

you can look at his 21% shooting percentage and say it's unsustainable, and it's possible you're right (since that's an absurd scoring rate), but the way he plays and shoots the puck, I think he's going to be a very rare player that capitalizes on a ridiculous percentage of his opportunities. 

7 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I think he's more around 6. Barzal is probably going to be leading the league in assists, or near the top for the next decade. He also plays a more valuable position. 

1. McDavid

2. Eichel

3. Werenski

4. Provorov

5. Barzal

6. Boeser

Marner is up there too, he's having a sophomore slump, much like you can expect for Boeser next year

Ok I know I'm known to be a homer around here but are you kidding me?! 

Provorov is so overrated. Werenski you could argue is 3rd, but not a chance... a sniper like Brock is much more valuable. 

And Barzal ahead of Brock?! Goal scoring is way more important than getting assists. Brock has scored with any line mate he's had... Take Bo, Take Sven away and he's still popping home goals. Barzal is surrounded by two pretty solid players in Eberle and Ladd... 

20 minutes ago, apollo said:

2. Jack Eichel 

3. Brock Boeser 

4. Werenski

5. Barzal  

6. Marner

7. Aho 

8. Hanifin

9. Provorov

10. Rantanen 

If Brock was a C maybe.... but Jacks a hell of a player. Gotta keep making these lists, its whats going to get us through games like last night :P

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

If Brock was a C maybe.... but Jacks a hell of a player. Gotta keep making these lists, its whats going to get us through games like last night :P

I know that C's are important... but the Canucks always had dominant Centers... Henrik, Kesler, Coho, Lappy years... don't you think they would have benefited more by swapping one of those guys a with a Winger that snipes like Brock? 

Brock is a much more rare breed than most wingers. 

Also Brock has been miles better than Eichel this year. He's the special kind of winger that actually helps his linemates. 

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Ok I know I'm known to be a homer around here but are you kidding me?! 

Provorov is so overrated. Werenski you could argue is 3rd, but not a chance... a sniper like Brock is much more valuable. 

And Barzal ahead of Brock?! Goal scoring is way more important than getting assists. Brock has scored with any line mate he's had... Take Bo, Take Sven away and he's still popping home goals. Barzal is surrounded by two pretty solid players in Eberle and Ladd... 

First of all, defensemen don't play at 19 anymore, Provorov played a full season. He's a + player on a terrible team, and had more points than any of our defensemen last year AND this current year. 

In regards to the bolded, Brock scored last night playing with the twins. You might have heard of them. They're pretty good. 

Just now, Zhukini said:

First of all, defensemen don't play at 19 anymore, Provorov played a full season. He's a + player on a terrible team, and had more points than any of our defensemen last year AND this current year. 

In regards to the bolded, Brock scored last night playing with the twins. You might have heard of them. They're pretty good. 

Yes, I've heard of the single greatest 1-2 punch in the history of sports. However, they're not the same players anymore... and not many are having success on their line. Brock has benefited a lot from them, but those passes, had they not gone to Brock... most of them would not find the back of the net. 

So you're telling me... you could chose 1 player to add to your team... Brock or Ivan, you would chose Ivan?

Brock is an elite sniper... there's really no substitute from that draft. I would only take McDavid over him today.

For once the Canucks did well in a draft and got the steal instead of being on the other end of it.

I would actually be curious to see brock play some center right now with bo and sutter out. see if he can make anything happen with goldobin and virtanen/vanek/gagner. 

he took face offs (and was good at it) at und and the type of game he plays would translate, I think. he's smart and responsible and pays attention to details. it might hurt his goalscoring a bit but I think it would be a worthwhile experiment for a game or two. 

Archived