The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Liberals Take Surrey White Rock By-Election Held by the Tories Since 1949

DonLever

Dianne Watts formerly held the Surrey White Rock seat but resigned to run for the BC Liberals.   Former BC Liberal Gordie Hogg defeated Conservative Kerry-Lynne Findlay by 1,617 votes.

The Conservatives held the seat for decades - since 1949!

So what does mean?    I believe the by-election indicates another Liberal majority in 2019.   Probably by a bigger majority.

If the Conservatives can not hold a seat they held since 1949, they are not going to win the next general election.   It shows the Conservatives as very weak under their new leader if they can't win a by election at a time when the governing party is supposedly at their lowest.

5 hours ago, darkpoet said:

It doesn't mean anything.

The right wing and the left wing belong to the same bird.

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by the bye
And a parting on the left
Is now a parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

7 hours ago, DonLever said:

Dianne Watts formerly held the Surrey White Rock seat but resigned to run for the BC Liberals.   Former BC Liberal Gordie Hogg defeated Conservative Kerry-Lynne Findlay by 1,617 votes.

The Conservatives held the seat for decades - since 1949!

So what does mean?    I believe the by-election indicates another Liberal majority in 2019.   Probably by a bigger majority.

If the Conservatives can not hold a seat they held since 1949, they are not going to win the next general election.   It shows the Conservatives as very weak under their new leader if they can't win a by election at a time when the governing party is supposedly at their lowest.

Really.  How are the BC Lieberals going to make the BC voters forget about the  ( SITE C Project ). It will be the BC Liberals Fast Ferry.......    We will be over paying for it for generations and it is ALL the fault  of the BC Liberal Party.

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Really.  How are the BC Lieberals going to make the BC voters forget about the  ( SITE C Project ). It will be the BC Liberals Fast Ferry.......    We will be over paying for it for generations and it is ALL the fault  of the BC Liberal Party.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the federal Liberals.  We're due for another federal election in 2019.  Unless your friend Horgan's government falls, we aren't due for another provincial election until 2021.

8 hours ago, DonLever said:

I agree.  I think the Conservatives made a huge mistake when the selected Scheer.  I have a feeling they will be looking for another new leader after the next election.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

You mean the project that Horgan agrees to proceed with? And Weaver sold his credibility on? 

If you actually read the summary of the final report from the BCUC you'll see that the projections include a strong likelihood that the cost of site c would be the same as other green tech initiatives. Horgan is a lot of things but he's not a fool, he knows that he can say the NDP "extra oversight" made the project a success by the time the next election rolls around. 

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

I agree.  I think the Conservatives made a huge mistake when the selected Scheer.  I have a feeling they will be looking for another new leader after the next election.

There wasn't much selection in that pile of turds.....all were $&!#e.  

9 hours ago, DonLever said:

I think it would be prudent for the federal liberals not to get too carried away with it. It may just meant that Findlay wasn't able to organize a good ground team this time around. But that in itself should be a bit troubling for the conservatives.

Scheer has already begun the smear-type game that he thinks he's going to need to win. Hiring Ezra Levant to do your Facebook ads will turn off most Canadians, we don't mind watching the Trump show down south but most people don't want things done that way up here. I think it will be a major disaster for the CPC but we'll see. Harper really did take his cue's from US conservative strategies and Scheer is doing  the same thing. It plays really well with a lot of the base. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think it would be prudent for the federal liberals not to get too carried away with it. It may just meant that Findlay wasn't able to organize a good ground team this time around. But that in itself should be a bit troubling for the conservatives.

Scheer has already begun the smear-type game that he thinks he's going to need to win. Hiring Ezra Levant to do your Facebook ads will turn off most Canadians, we don't mind watching the Trump show down south but most people don't want things done that way up here. I think it will be a major disaster for the CPC but we'll see. Harper really did take his cue's from US conservative strategies and Scheer is doing  the same thing. It plays really well with a lot of the base. 

Hell Harpoon even tried to copy the US prison system complete with removing law libraries and educational possibilities. 

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

Hell Harpoon even tried to copy the US prison system complete with removing law libraries and educational possibilities. 

yes, somehow making people worse criminals coming out of jail was supposed to be a good plan..... 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yes, somehow making people worse criminals coming out of jail was supposed to be a good plan..... 

Making it harder to get probation and then releasing unprepared excons so as to increase the recidivism rate, prison population and profits might be the most evil thing that turd ever tried. Well that and forcing people to listen to his band.  &^@# they were awful. 

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

I hope this isn't indication of Liberals winning again next election.

Trudeau is a total joke.... unfortunately, it's nothing a nice photo-op or fancy socks can't solve.

He's no better or worse than the last management group, seeing as how he's actually spending less yet simply pushing forward the former Conservative Party ideas I laugh when people say he's so bad.

Yes it means that another majority is most likely up coming for the True Dough Libs and yes it means Scheer is about as likeable as dog shart on a hot sidewalk

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

He's no better or worse than the last management group, seeing as how he's actually spending less yet simply pushing forward the former Conservative Party ideas I laugh when people say he's so bad.

Yes it means that another majority is most likely up coming for the True Dough Libs and yes it means Scheer is about as likeable as dog shart on a hot sidewalk

So you're saying that those creepy commercials of Scheer walking through a park and circling a playground didn't do it for you?

13 hours ago, darkpoet said:

It doesn't mean anything.

The right wing and the left wing belong to the same bird.

So true.  Did anyone notice that Gordie Hogg is from the supposedly "right wing" provincial BC Liberals, running for the supposedly "left wing" Federal Liberals?

Archived