The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Gagner (Van) for Z. Smith (Ott)

86Viking

12 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

In a strictly objective view, I like this. I do think we would have to up the ante a little. But...Gaunce just does not look like he is going to pan out, Gagner is so far not working out pretty much at all, and Dowd is a very limited player. Maybe Gagner + Rathbone? He's pretty far down the list, as far as depth goes here. I seriously don't see him cracking the line up anytime soon. Or maybe rights to Zhukenov?

Realistically, I doubt it. Gagner has too much term left for what he is offering, and I also agree with @Horvat is a Boss, it would be a bad PR move too

I understand about the possible negative PR but its a business, they make millions so in other words I dont have sympathy if a guy who signed a 3 yr 9.45m gets moved and he or others dont like it. 

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

I understand about the possible negative PR but its a business, they make millions so in other words I dont have sympathy if a guy who signed a 3 yr 9.45m gets moved and he or others dont like it. 

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

I do tend to agree a bit with you but at the same time, these guys are professional athletes. We have no way of knowing how they will fit on our team until we have already committed to signing them.

Unfortunately we arent like the NFL where their contracts have guaranteed money then usually unrealistic top end max $ if they reach their incentives. They also can be cut or let go anytime. A great way of keeping players hungry and honest imo

It's not necessarily about Gagner himself, it's about sending that message to potential future UFAs who would consider signing here. For example, if we moved Gagner 3/4 months into the season after just signing him in July, maybe someone like E. Kane is a little more wary of signing here (I probably wouldn't target Kane but I'm just using him as an example). Term and stability are important for a lot of players and Benning would hurt his position in future negotiations by trading Gagner now. 

To be clear, I'm not saying Gagner is someone we should have on our team. I didn't like the signing when it was made. But we're likely going to have to stick through it until at least the deadline of 2019 or if/when Gagner requests a trade. 

Any chance we somehow get dear old Edler to waive to to play with Karlsson? 

Edler

Burmistrov

for

Z. Smith 

? no 1st or 2nd this year

would love to somehow get Ceci, even if we add something decent, then we could move Guddy and have a top 4 d replacement

Archived