The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Bettman and Nenshi give Flames owners good reason to sell the team

Mackcanuck

8 hours ago, apollo said:

No way this happens. It's just a negotiating tactic.

Honestly i just don't know anymore. No one wants to spend the money on a stadium (city or owners) i can see it coming to an end. I think there are 3 or 4 owners of the flames, they will be rolling in profits if they were to sell. The Flames really need a billionaire owner who will build a stadium and keep the team there.

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It would be nuts if the Flames lost their team. They have a lot of history and clearly a hockey-crazy city. I'd be very irritated if Houston got a team instead of Calgary. It'd be the North Stars all over again.

Long time lames hater here but I agree it would be such a shame if the lame fans lost their team. At least they fill seat in the regular season and there playoff atmosphere is like no other. CANADA NEEDS MORE TEAMS NOT LESS!

14 hours ago, coryberg said:

Yawn!

The NHL wont let the horrible markets of Phoenix (31st at 13,000 av) and Carolina (32nd at 11,700 av) move but they will allow Calgary who sits at #10 with an average attendance of 18,700?

166.gif

What's the 32nd team in the NHL? 13,000 average is pretty decent for the NHL I would say. This is just Calgary Flames owners being stubborn and the people of Calgary pushing for a compromise. 

13 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

What's the 32nd team in the NHL? 13,000 average is pretty decent for the NHL I would say. This is just Calgary Flames owners being stubborn and the people of Calgary pushing for a compromise. 

Seattle :P...I'm betting they would outsell the bottom feeders in a heartbeat.

On December 12, 2017 at 12:48 PM, Mackcanuck said:

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/francis-150-million-more-reasons-for-flames-owners-to-sell/wcm/bee3f8a6-a64b-40c2-8173-cff4316c9138

"Forget about the nuances of what each side last offered to chip in for the project before the Flames walked away from what they saw as a futile endeavor.

The bottom line is, who wants it more?

The answer is Houston, which is where my money says the Flames will be within the next three years.

As sad as that is for Canadian hockey fans to hear."

the true actual answer here is.......with the phoenx coyotes and carolina huricanes and the florida panthers not making any money ever. how do we (the nhl Owners/ gary bettman) spin it to how the calgary flames and ottawa senators make sense to leave their cities.......not because fan support, but because their buildings are not up to date. mind u ottawa isnt the best but the still do better than those three. how about we stop the welfare system and give it to calgary and ottawa? just a few years. then the nhl can go back and maybe give flynt michagin a team to promote equality.

I would be very very very upset if the Flames were relocated to Houston, ahead of tire-fires like Arizona, Carolina, etc.

I'm not sure when tax-payer funded arenas/stadiums took off, but it really did set a horrible precedent.

Frankly, I find it absurd that team owners don't have to pony up more money than they do.

On 12/12/2017 at 9:12 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Not really, library's don't generate community dollars.  Just walk down 17th ave after a flames games.  Flames leaving the city would most affect calgary business.   And anyone in calgary knows how worth our new 5 rocks on metal beams art was.  http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/new-500000-public-art-installed-along-the-trans-canada-highway, or what about are big blue circle that cost another 500k that even Neshi said looks terrible. http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/calgary-mayor-hates-awful-new-public-art-installation-a-large-blue-circle-that-cost-the-city-471000

Owners aren't/haven't been asking for a handout, they are asking the money to come from the CRL, a city fund designed for exactly what a new rink would, community development. That money exists and has been collected already, it's going to be spent somewhere to help growth in the city, a new hockey rink, that helps support local businesses would sure make sense.

Murray edwards has done nothing but support this city and has been a key member of the cities growth to what it is today. Everyone simply wants to hate the guy just because he's wealthy (which obviously means he's bad right?) but the way neshi is handling this is a slap in the face to him. I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the day he does say screw it and sells.  Then watch the city of calgary and it's business hurt because of it.  

I don't think a million dollar spend on art justifies a hundred million dollar spend on sports. "We've wasted a little, so why not waste an order of magnitude more on sports?" is not a sound argument.

History has repeatedly shown that there aren't real economic gains from rebuilding stadiums. Its not like the money people spend on hockey games doesn't go elsewhere if there is no hockey. People may not go to bars during/after a game, but they still go to bars anyway. You aren't helping businesses with the new stadium, you are just transferring profit from one area of a city to another. There have been lots of studies done on this. 

And the notion that people are against the stadium to hate on a rich guy is laughable. The real reason is because anyone who is paying attention has watched this same ol' thing play out in city after city. The owners attempt to leverage the fans to get big amounts of money from the government. A lot of people are very tired of it. I'm against it ever happening in Vancouver and would rather see the Canucks move than see our city pay a ransom, if they ever try it here. 

19 minutes ago, butters said:

I don't think a million dollar spend on art justifies a hundred million dollar spend on sports. "We've wasted a little, so why not waste an order of magnitude more on sports?" is not a sound argument.

How is is an arena that supports local businesses, brings in tourist and develops a community a waste?  Calgary owners don’t just benefit from home games. Just walk down 17ave. Those business thrive because of the flames. Without them the likely don’t exist. 

History has repeatedly shown that there aren't real economic gains from rebuilding stadiums. Its not like the money people spend on hockey games doesn't go elsewhere if there is no hockey.

Elsewhere as in outside of the city. Maybe in the 1970s when people were stuck to their own surrounding.  But that’s not the case today. local retial business going out of business due to online purchases is the proof of that. 

People may not go to bars during/after a game, but they still go to bars anyway. You aren't helping businesses with the new stadium, you are just transferring profit from one area of a city to another. There have been lots of studies done on this. 

Again that’s not at all true. Hockey is a leisure income. For example. I go in with two other guys for season tickets. If I didn’t spend that money on the flames and going out. I would be spending that on more traveling to VAN, Vegas or driving to Edmonton to get my hockey fix in.

The other thing is the saddle domes isnt just filled by calgarians. People from all over southern ab fill that rink. Airdrie, okatoks, highriver, strathmore. These are events that draw people into the city and spend. Without them the don’t do that drive.  

Less and less of leisure income goes into local business today. The global competition is too strong. You have to incentize people to spend there money. 

And the notion that people are against the stadium to hate on a rich guy is laughable. The real reason is because anyone who is paying attention has watched this same ol' thing play out in city after city. The owners attempt to leverage the fans to get big amounts of money from the government. A lot of people are very tired of it.

Not when you see their proposed plan. I can see what money they are asking for and where it’s coming from. I’m guessing you haven’t looked at it.

I'm against it ever happening in Vancouver and would rather see the Canucks move than see our city pay a ransom, if they ever try it here. 

Maybe you should do a bit more research into the teams proposal before you claim them holding the city ransom. What the flames offer was extremely reasonable. Especially if you consider the billions of $ and tens of thousands of jobs Edwards has provided this city. 

https://www.marketplace.org/2015/03/19/business/are-pro-sports-teams-economic-winners-cities

"“If every sports team in Chicago were to suddenly disappear, the impact on the Chicago economy would be a fraction of 1 percent,” Leeds says. “A baseball team has about the same impact on a community as a midsize department store.”

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/why-funding-new-sports-stadiums-can-be-a-losing-bet-1.1378210

"

The vast majority of studies done on the financial benefits of new sporting facilities by researchers not connected to any sport, league, or team have not found any economic boost for cities, experts say.

"Most of the independent research can't find any economic impact associated with either new arenas, new stadiums, or new franchises or large events," said Victor Matheson, a professor of economics at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Ma., who has been researching the economics of sport for more than a decade."

Archived