The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Alabama Senate Election - Jones Defeat Moore in Upset Win

DonLever

From ABC News:

Alabama voters head to the polls Tuesday to elect a U.S. senator in a race thrust into the national spotlight after allegations of sexual misconduct against the Republican nominee, former Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore.

The state has not elected a Democrat to the Senate since 1992, but Moore is locked in a tight race with his Democratic opponent, Doug Jones, a former U.S. attorney.

Moore faces allegations from eight women who have accused him of sexual misconduct toward them when he was in his 30s and, in some cases, the women were in their teens. He has denied the allegations.

Before the allegations surfaced last month, Moore already had a long-standing reputation as a fierce defender of Christianity in the public sphere and was twice removed from his position as the state's chief justice for violating judicial orders.

The race has created a wedge between many Republicans on Capitol Hill who have maintained that Moore should step aside and President Donald Trump, who has endorsed Moore.

22 minutes ago, DonLever said:

many Republicans on Capitol Hill who have maintained that Moore should step aside and President Donald Trump, who has endorsed Moore.

....if this is from ABC news, no wonder the US is struggling as even their journalists cannot get language correct.   Read that sentence - what is it saying about Donald Trump?   ...."and Donald Trump"...what?      

It is a race to the bottom.   

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

....if this is from ABC news, no wonder the US is struggling as even their journalists cannot get language correct.   Read that sentence - what is it saying about Donald Trump?   ...."and Donald Trump"...what?      

It is a race to the bottom.   

The lack of a mere comma threw that entire sentence into disarray.

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Grammar is the only thing standing between helping your Uncle, Jack, off his horse versus helping your uncle jack off his horse. 

I can see how the horse has a vested interest in this outcome.

PS - I find your signature gif quite disturbing - I'll bite, what the h-e-double hockey stick is it about?

Supposedly Moore showed up to the polls on a horse named Sassy.

Roy Moore rode to the polls as a cowboy after spending an entire campaign in costume

By Robin Givhan By Robin Givhan
Arts and Entertainment
Perspective

December 12 at 5:22 PM

Alabama_Senate_13832-135a4.jpg&w=1484
U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore rides a horse to vote Tuesday in Gallant, Ala. (Brynn Anderson/AP)

Roy Moore rode to the polls on the American myth. Specifically, he was astride a brown and white horse. The Republican candidate for U.S. Senate was wearing a cowboy hat, jeans and a large signet ring. Moore arrived at the Alabama polls Tuesday morning in the manner that is his tradition, on the back of a horse named Sassy. He did so in front of a national audience that mostly does not include cowboy hats on its list of wardrobe staples and assumes that with the advent of both cars and paved roads, running errands by horse is unnecessary. But no matter. Moore is the consummate stuntman, an amateur cinematographer, a stylist with a singular client.

The cameras captured Moore as he came trotting across a field with his wife, Kayla, trailing behind him on her own horse. His black hat, with its silver flourishes, was perched atop his head, and his moss-colored jacket was open at the neck — the collar of a faded knit shirt poking out. Moore pulled up on the reins of an unhappy-looking Sassy and smiled through clenched teeth for the visiting press, which knew to assemble because Moore’s office had given them a heads-up in anticipation of the stuntman’s stunt: He would arrive like a simple cowpoke plucked from the sepia pages of American history. His ensemble would call to mind some glorious past of God-fearing independence — when a man cleared his own meager acreage and no one told him what to do on his land, not even the little missus.

890997972.jpg&w=1484
Moore ties up his horse after arriving to cast his vote. (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

In truth, Moore looked more like an actor in a commercial for no-medical-exam life insurance: grizzled but upright, well-fed but on a budget. But the performance was as promised. Moore sat for a few seconds in the open air atop his steed — reveling in the moment, or perhaps just waiting a beat for the assembled media to pull back and give him room to dismount. Maybe both.

54 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The outright lies being peddled by the Moore camp is astonishing really.

If Alabama really eats it up and elects him they're dumber than I thought.

And that says a lot because I think to a person Bamans are dumb

I have a friend who lives in Alabama. She was born and raised in Utah.

Her quote "Alabama makes Utah look like San Fransisco".

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

The outright lies being peddled by the Moore camp is astonishing really.

If Alabama really eats it up and elects him they're dumber than I thought.

And that says a lot because I think to a person Bamans are dumb

Oh he’s winning. Book it.  This is what Alabama is.  I’ve been there. Serious redneck Bible Belt.  

25 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Oh he’s winning. Book it.  This is what Alabama is.  I’ve been there. Serious redneck Bible Belt.  

I'm pretty sure of it too, especially with the exit polls that came out today that said 55% of voters polled said the allegations against Moore were a minor factor to no factor at all in their decision. That is pure crazy.

So this is where all the Alabama election action is. A rundown of info I have:

Shelby county has abnormally high numbers of young and black voters at the polls.

Baldwin county has a 35% turnout and saying it's had the highest number of Dems voting ever.

Madison county turnout high at 35%

Jones campaign is optimistic with Jefferson/Montgomery county numbers.

Jones campaign had biggest GOTV ground game in 25 years. Expecting at least 25% black electorate voting today.

Exit polls ARE USUALLY GARBAGE.

And finally Moore campaign goes from "confident in a win" to "race can go either way"

Archived