The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Searching for Matt Johnson

SergioMomesso

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The only rough memory I have of watching him is during the 2003 Canucks-Wild series. I think he fought a couple of times. But it's terrible what happened to him, I hope he's alive and safe.

Those early 2000 years were some damn exciting hockey, and I watched as many games as I could while working nights, but still couldn't recall Johnson at all. Too busy being mesmerized by the West Coast Express, I guess (and by Clouts and Minny's god damn trap hockey).

10 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Ok, there are subtle variances in circumstance and of individuals involved, nevertheless, the punch instantly reminded me of Bert's.

The worst aspect about the Bertuzzi hit was that he was stalking Moore around the ice for the entire shift. Pretty methodical and creepy. Still, he fetched us Luongo. 

Sucker punches are disgusting and maybe in some heat of the moment, it feels really good to do it, but ramifications are deadly. 

Mental Health Issues are so sad because not only do they destroy the person involved.... BUT they also destroy that persons family members / loved ones  / and friends..........

Really hope someone can work with Matt on getting him some kind of treatment / therapy / counselling  / Assisted living so  MATT and MATT's Family can start to heal.  

2 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

The worst aspect about the Bertuzzi hit was that he was stalking Moore around the ice for the entire shift. Pretty methodical and creepy. Still, he fetched us Luongo. 

Sucker punches are disgusting and maybe in some heat of the moment, it feels really good to do it, but ramifications are deadly. 

Agreed.

Moore needed to be held responsible but the way Bert did it was not acceptable.  

1 hour ago, zzbottom said:

One of the most infuriating things and abusive things to an introvert is to push them to go out and do something they don't want until you guilt them into submission.  

Gotta agree with this. I get irritated whenever people push me too much to stop spending time on my own. Some people can't seem to grasp introversion. 

2 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

The same Matt Johnson who suckered Jeff Beukeboom ending his career?

"Afterward, Beukeboom was left with recurrent headaches, memory loss, nausea, and mental fogginess that lasted for months. He was diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome, and ordered to never play hockey again. Beukeboom officially retired in July 1999 with a total of 1,890 NHL penalty minutes in 804 games played, and is currently second all-time on the Rangers' penalty minutes list.[8][9] Even after retiring, he continued to suffer post-concussion symptoms for almost two years before recovering."

Maybe Brian McGrattan's sob story will be out in a few years.

who cares what specific things he did

it was part of his job

if it was dirty it would have been sanctioned

otherwise it is part of the game

and that is part of the problem.. that it is part of the game

a bit senseless to criticize a player, inferring it justifies his present plight, when he was just doing his job at the time

as best as he thought he needed to

This story is hardly surprising either.

So many sad looks you could take.  Do I feel for the mum? Who was intimidated in her own house. When they tried to help? I'm empathetic, not sympathetic.

The story about Matt intimidating and screaming at migrant farm workers?  It tells a lot. As does the point about them making it sound like he was the gentle giant. For taking ''care of'' bullies for, I think it was his sister, in grade school. And parents going down the track knowing full well what type of kid they were raising.  Sitting in the stands with the parent of a kid Matt was fighting at the age of 12.  Violence and intimidation were in this kids DNA upbringing. Matt Johnson grew up, to use @diesel_3's description, a meathead. 

It was acceptable behaviour, encouraged behaviour, from an early age.

Now, my next point I am definitely ''reading into'' what probably happened? Matt grows up on a farm. I have 30 plus relatives who lived the farm life growing up. We'd go visit every summer. At 14, we'd have nothing to do. Go find a lake, get high. At 16 (well before actually), get drunk, drive cars up and down the centre of town on a Sat night. Presumably look for girls. There were none, the town was too small. If a guy like Matt was around, there would be fights.  Chase people around in cars, or just skip to the next town if Matt was too big? A lot of rolled cars on back roads as you get away. Drugs, alcohol, boredom, depression, violence.  Nothing better to do? Some from that lifestyle find something in their life?  Matt was allowed to run amok & make it his profession?

Skip forward to having a million bucks in downtown LA. Gretzky giving him money to go party. Gretzky coming from the sedentary Oiler environment where many were known to be cocaine addicts. Johnson Semenko & violence revered, appreciated. There is no question the lifestyle was a factor? It sounds as if it started in junior hockey & on the farm.  As was the culture of Matts role on the team. The brain injuries, as he got his head beaten in. The pain killers? The inner demons, as only the most thoroughly disgusting bullies don't reflect and depress in their choices. The drugs, the alcohol again... How many times was he in rehab?

I do actually feel sorry for the mum and dad.  But I also believe all culture at home should never encourage or allow violence. And there are ways to get your kids through school without becoming drug addicts, beasts on alcohol. Among the simplest?  Pick them up and drop them off yourself to all their activities. Help them find ones so they are not bored. It would save many, although not all, stories like this? 

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

who cares what specific things he did

it was part of his job

if it was dirty it would have been sanctioned

otherwise it is part of the game

and that is part of the problem.. that it is part of the game

a bit senseless to criticize a player, inferring it justifies his present plight, when he was just doing his job at the time

as best as he thought he needed to

So true.  It was a very different era in the game of hockey than the one we see today.  Goons were a big part of the game and they were 'cheered on' to do their worst to the opponent.  I'm glad that that part of hockey has faded into history and being 'tough' means something else altogether.  Still, the number of players that were damaged during that time, is piling up as the years go by.

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2017 at 1:28 PM, zzbottom said:

Honestly, same. I had no idea who he was. And I, too, had to youtube the hit. Pretty vicious. But I dunno if it is a full CC of Bertuzzi losing his mind on the ice. Especially considering Bertuzzi was a star player who the team relied on, and Moore basically slid across the ice defenseless. 

On 12/13/2017 at 1:15 PM, Green Building said:

To be honest, I don't even think I remember a single shift the guy played. I had to Youtube that Beukeboom hit after reading the article, and damn if it didn't look like a carbon copy of Bert's on Moore. 

I just had a look at it myself too... it really was similar. The only difference is that a a bunch of players didn't jump on top and pile up and pressure his neck to get severely injured. 

Such a sad story... :(

Archived