The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Was at the game... Maybe the worst in-game experience I have ever witnessed at GM Place/Rogers...

The woman in the row in front of me spent the entire first period looking at cupcake decorations on her phone.

What was worse was the lack of replays during whistles. No replays on penalties, Vanek's no-goal, the Predators' goals, etc. It was just awful. I had to pull up Twitter on my phone to check out gifs of plays that weren't shown on the scoreboard. 

Is it a part of NHL conspiracy?  I hope that they should show every play to the fans for them to response the ref's performance.   I mean, they paid a good money to see them live and should be able to view all replays even controversial ones as well.   This is how to hold them accountable.  

Here is the thing. As I said earlier, the Canucks are young. It started getting that way under Willie Desjardins, who I still can not find fault other than he was a little to open door with his team on a one to one basis, and that is not really an ideal head coach strategy in the NHL, Benning sort of piled far too many rookies on the guy, and that's the way the cookie crumbles. When heads gotta roll because of cry baby fans, it is usually the coach that feels the executioner's blade.

Development is both poignant and pinnacle these days, it requires patience and tolerance, both with the coaching staff and young players. When I look at Jake Virtanen all I see is in a couple of years one serious top power forward. Look at Brendan Shanahan, yeah just like many draft picks, amazing as a junior but it took Shanahan a couple of years to get his stride started before he hit stardom, which was most notable with Detroit after stints in New Jersey (where he was drafted) and St. Louis, then more as a NY Ranger. Anyone who is a true hockey fan has to hold Shanahan in high esteem, the man had 17 Gordie Howe hat tricks. For those of you newbies, that is a goal, an assist, and a fight in a game. Of course the all time leader is Rick Tocchet, with 18, and Shanahan is tied with Brian Sutter (of the original six Sutter brothers, and brother, I know those lads from Viking Alberta because I grew up in that neck of the woods, and I was born and raised in Lethbridge Alberta and at the time our WHL junior team was the Lethbridge Broncos, where the Sutters landed after starting with the Red Deer Rustlers of the Alberta Junior Hockey League (AJHL). Brian is two years my junior, and trust me when I tell you, these farm boys were a rough and tough bunch, but they were also a fun and friendly bunch off the ice.

Every member of the second generation of the NHL Sutter players including current Canuck Brandon Sutter, did their due diligence on the Sutter farm, no matter where they were born or raised. Vancouver had seriously consider a way to obtain Ron Sutter at the same time they had his twin Rich Sutter as a Canuck, which would have made the Sedins the second twins to grace the Canucks, but it never materialized. Rich was a reliable Right Wing journeyman player for the Canucks, where he sported the highest points per year during his career.

1 hour ago, sxqhfeh said:

this is one of the game that Canucks need quickly forget and move on

No, never. A hockey team should never forget any loss, embarrassing as it may have been. Every game, win or loss has value as a teaching aid, an opportunity to learn from. Something for the various coaches and training staff to focus and work with. For example, last year I had noticed that when the Canucks were in the offensive zone and players were circling with the puck, they were circling inward toward the ice and not tightly towards the boards, easier for the defense and offensive forwards to pick off and move down the ice handcuffing the team. That has already changed. Most Canuck forwards were guilty with the exception of the Sedin twins because as broadcasters called it, they handled the puck as if they were in a phone booth. (a phone booth, what the hell is that?) Um.....we sort of needed them before there were devices such as cellphones, and before smartphones. (Which begs the question, "If they are so smart, why do they have such stupid battery life?" [Please no comments from the peanut gallery that claim they get 3 or 4 days on their smartphone battery, I use to get two weeks or more on my stupid flip cellphone and still get that on a burner flip phone, and yes, I do have a smartphone because it has become a stupid technical necessity to do get anything done these days online, and I dislike it. It makes people lazy, and turns them into cry babies because they don't want to either read nor write very much. So sad. Emoticons and Emojis? C'mon people, they are a poor substitute for language and communication, churlish, immature, and childish. We are not infantile seven year old children.....at least I hope most of us are not. I would be apologetic if all the end users on this site were under the age of 10 not even in the era of puberty.

Seriously adults need to grow up. I did that when I was 14. What is everyone's else excuse? Hmm?

17 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

And then Sam look at the flowers?

Please don't tell me that you are ragging on Sam Gagner. Are you one of these, "A player ain't worth nothin' unless he scores!"? Coaches lean on veterans for many things other than points. Let look at Thomas Vanek for example. He didn't really click with the Sedins when management had such expectations, but now he is starting to click on a line with Sam Gagner. So, the team is in a bit of a rut. Every team goes through ruts. It is just the audacity of the fandom of the Vancouver Canucks that are so wishy washy armchair coaches, and GMs who opinionate they know better than the paid professionals. If that were the case, I must ask. Why are they not making the big bucks? Answer. Because they don't know "Jack$#^t". C'mon, they have only played 31 games, not yet the midway point of the season and the Canucks are at 14-13-4, not a total disaster by a long shot.

I am not much for expressing opinions, but frankly I imagine that the loss of Derek Dorsett sort of taken a bit of wind out of the team, Dorsett was being highlighted  as one the NHL's comeback stories and had the caught the team in the whirlwind. Ownership should find a respectable job within the organization for Derek Dorsett to restore that team confidence. Even if Derek decides to go in a different direction, it is the offer that would make the impact.

When Gudbranson comes back, Edler needs to be out of the lineup. Im sick and tired of Edlers boneheaded mistakes, the guy is a F-ing retard, probably the worst Canuck next to Michael Crapoo. Im not a fan of Gudbranson, hes overrated and will probably be overpriced, but I'd rather have a player that is gawdawful that cares and has some sort of emotional investment in the game than that idiot Edler who continually messes up and gives thats stupid look in his face as if hes just collecting another pay cheque

No pushback after that Hartnell incident is @#$ embarassing. Hope Green and Benning are letting the team know that. That was one of the most depressing moments ive witnessed as sports fan.  My bottom line has been since we started rebuild: if we lose in terms of skill for next few years, at least play tough and make the other team pay physically even when we lose. Give contracts to White and Nolan in the summer instead of Burmistrov etc. And the team would have been different to watch.

13 minutes ago, scratchmb said:

Please don't tell me that you are ragging on Sam Gagner. Are you one of these, "A player ain't worth nothin' unless he scores!"? Coaches lean on veterans for many things other than points. Let look at Thomas Vanek for example. He didn't really click with the Sedins when management had such expectations, but now he is starting to click on a line with Sam Gagner. So, the team is in a bit of a rut. Every team goes through ruts. It is just the audacity of the fandom of the Vancouver Canucks that are so wishy washy armchair coaches, and GMs who opinionate they know better than the paid professionals. If that were the case, I must ask. Why are they not making the big bucks? Answer. Because they don't know "Jack$#^t". C'mon, they have only played 31 games, not yet the midway point of the season and the Canucks are at 14-13-4, not a total disaster by a long shot.

I am not much for expressing opinions, but frankly I imagine that the loss of Derek Dorsett sort of taken a bit of wind out of the team, Dorsett was being highlighted  as one the NHL's comeback stories and had the caught the team in the whirlwind. Ownership should find a respectable job within the organization for Derek Dorsett to restore that team confidence. Even if Derek decides to go in a different direction, it is the offer that would make the impact.

Relax it was a joke in reference to something mentioned in the GDT.

10 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

ya thats pathetic  when do we play preds next  put mcewen and guddy in and smash Hartnell out hopefully  im sire jake will crap kick pk that guys a totall sally nowonder hes not in montreal gutless 

And Jeff Carter needs to be convinced to bang Hartnells wife one more time.

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

pathetic team

This is what happens when you lose your shutdown center, your top 6 playmaker, your top 4 big physical D and your top 2-way forward at the same time. It gets ugly fast. Nothing to do with the quality of the team, we just got the injury bug AGAIN. Losing 2/3 of your top offensive line, your top shutdown man and top Dman to keep the opposition in line is an amount of injuries that creates gaps that no team can handle. Until Sutter, Gudbranson, Horvat and Baertschi get back this will probably be the norm except for an odd win or two here and there when other teams sleep.

8 hours ago, luckylager said:

I'm going to skip blaming misfortune, defensive adventures, specific players and officiating blunders/wonders for a truly profound statement. (Keep in mind the first 5 mins of the game drove me to a place named: Whisky Straight.)

We need some balls. After the 2-0 goal, I missed me sane Dorsett. 

He would have changed the game.

Jake's hit, beautiful and legit as it was, was 50 minutes late. The "scrum" afterwards was the saddest moment of the year. 

Zero balls.

I don't feel much like chatting so pardon me, but I'm gonna wrap some presents and continue to empty this bottle.

Pride should start after the opening puck drop. My head hurts

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

The thing is - it matters.

It was not a cheap shot.  It was not head hunting.  It was not a hit from behind or the blindside.  It wasn't an elbow. It was simply a good, clean, legal old-fashioned body check.  As I watch the other angle, his stick runs up after the fact, not really that consequential - worth a minor, but the hit itself was fine and the reaction was overdone. 

And the other thing is this - when you have a 5 or 6 goal lead, you tone it down.  It's pretty much universal - 'code' - whatever you want to call it.  Particularly in someone else's building - if you're going to ham it up after whiff goals or a 7th meaningless goal, expect your disrespected opponent to do exactly what Virtanen did.

Kudos to Virtanen.  He did the right thing - he answered disrespect with a clean hit.

Two things the Predators should have realized at that point - 1) they had it coming and were asking for it with their cocky, overblown celebrations long after the result was decided and 2) the way to respond to a clean hit is not a chickencrap blindside punch, but a nod of the head and a number taken, or invite that player to answer.

That is on the Predators, from before the hit to after, plain and simple.  It may not be obvious to a casual fan, but if you are willing to show your opponent up, you better be prepared to take a hit.

Old news you're wrong this time.

the hit was not clean.  It was high sticking.  He carries the stick straight upwards nearly the whole way through the hit.

you can't separate a body check from a check that includes a highstick.  The stick is more or less an extension of the body for a hockey player and the way I saw the play, it was absolutely not a legal hit as result of the high stick.

four minute penalty at the minim and I wouldn't have been put off by a major given the whole "keep a lid on the game" method.

if that was a Canuck on the receiving end you would be up in arms and calling out the refs.  More so, everyone would be thrilled if any Canuck reacted like PK.

honestly the homerism here, at times, is laughable.

everything that happened after was standard lopsided game stuff, that as usual, we turn cheek on.

Archived