The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

56 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I thought so.

same here.

this is gonna irritate many. But watching more tape I don't even think what pk did was even a punch.

Doesn't matter to me what Nashville did really.  It is upsetting because our team does not show the same response when our guys are targeted the same way.  I am upset with our players and the culture of this team that allows themselves to be pushed around and just turns the other cheek.  Like it or not, physical play does make a difference in how players perform.  It makes guys shy away from puck battles, makes them rush their passes or cough up the puck and it tires guys out and hurts.  No one likes to get hit. 

If you can't bring the physical side of the game, other teams feel free to up their own physical game.  Teams right now must be licking their lips at the opportunity to run roughshod over the Nucks.

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

Doesn't matter to me what Nashville did really.  It is upsetting because our team does not show the same response when our guys are targeted the same way.  I am upset with our players and the culture of this team that allows themselves to be pushed around and just turns the other cheek.  Like it or not, physical play does make a difference in how players perform.  It makes guys shy away from puck battles, makes them rush their passes or cough up the puck and it tires guys out and hurts.  No one likes to get hit. 

If you can't bring the physical side of the game, other teams feel free to up their own physical game.  Teams right now must be licking their lips at the opportunity to run roughshod over the Nucks.

One has to wonder why some players just stand there and take it. Are they given direction to do so?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

One has to wonder why some players just stand there and take it. Are they given direction to do so?

The look on Stecher's face and Burmy (nor sure) was embarrassing.  Neither of those guys are going to fight, I get it, but they both just dropped their heads and looked away when Hartnell took his shots at them. I don't think I've ever seen that on a hockey team...that look of total intimidation and having been whipped.  I don't know how a team can play in the NHL with that kind of attitude. 

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

Some people really don't see the point in engaging in anything physical that serves no purpose, that includes reactions to douchebags looking to incite a reaction.

But this is hockey and standing up for yourself and teammates does have purpose.  If liberties are allowed, they will be taken...and they were.

2 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

The look on Stecher's face and Burmy (nor sure) was embarrassing.  Neither of those guys are going to fight, I get it, but they both just dropped their heads and looked away when Hartnell took his shots at them. I don't think I've ever seen that on a hockey team...that look of total intimidation and having been whipped.  I don't know how a team can play in the NHL with that kind of attitude. 

Stetch will chuck the mittens MMA is part of his training but Hartnell  is like 3 weight classes up on him. 

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

But this is hockey and standing up for yourself and teammates does have purpose.  If liberties are allowed, they will be taken...and they were.

That's not really my point, though. I was merely answering what I thought about why some people don't react to wankers. I'd love if it the team displayed a set of balls, but I also admire Stecher's unfazed headshake to the chop. The best feeling is doing that when you're winning, when you're getting blown out, well that's a different story.

12 hours ago, Jaku said:

Fair enough. These are all keys to the Canucks success and the team has obviously taken a massive blow, it's really showing in the product they've iced 

But, I fail to believe the Canucks would be successful without Horvat. It's become apparent that he is a key cog in driving the Canucks offense. 

"Successful" without Horvat wasn't a claim - but your point is a good one and I agree entirely with it - he is the key center in the lineup capable of driving some offense, so he's a huge loss regardless.  Without him they may have been able to eek out some 2-1 wins here and there, but without him and those other handful of guys we're back on the M.A.S.H.tank railway.

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Stetch will chuck the mittens MMA is part of his training but Hartnell  is like 3 weight classes up on him. 

True Stech is tenacious and I would not want him to take on Hartnell in an actual 1 on 1 fight but is a shove back or a verbally abusive response too much to ask?

54 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Surprised? All the 'experts' were wrong before the season? I find it amazing when fans seem to think that the rebuild is done and the team should already be competitive. A rebuild takes a decade, there are no shortcuts. We are looking at another 3 to 4 years like last year and this year, at a minimum- depending on lottery luck. Edmonton would still be uncompetitive if they had not won on McDavid. This is not a pathetic team, this is a team under construction. Big difference.

Settle down. We're missing several key players from the lineup. Every team has bad games, wth some very bad puck luck tonight. No needs to do the chicken little dance, and try and enlighten us with some information that isn't even true. 

Just like another poster pointed out Edmonton is still struggling with all the first round luck they've had. This is the result of injuries and AHL callups. Chill.

3 minutes ago, Green Building said:

That's not really my point, though. I was merely answering what I thought about why some people don't react to wankers. I'd love if it the team displayed a set of balls, but I also admire Stecher's unfazed headshake to the chop. The best feeling is doing that when you're winning, when you're getting blown out, well that's a different story.

I don't see it as a tap you turn on or off.  Hockey is emotional and tribal.  The pushback we all desire should be part of the culture (the way Nashville all responded to the Jake hit) and not something you make a conscious decision about.   I get the whole cerebral response thing but in a game that is fast, hard and passionate, physical intimidation is real and if you don't stand up for yourself, others will take advantage. 

12 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Some people really don't see the point in engaging in anything physical that serves no purpose, that includes reactions to douchebags looking to incite a reaction.

Yeah, and I'm not keen to see Stecher stepping 25 or 30 lbs out of his weight class. 

And it was one of those things you shake your head at / laugh at - borderline hilarious and certainly one of those wtf moments where Hartnell is revisiting the toddler within.

7 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I don't see it as a tap you turn on or off.  Hockey is emotional and tribal.  The pushback we all desire should be part of the culture (the way Nashville all responded to the Jake hit) and not something you make a conscious decision about.   I get the whole cerebral response thing but in a game that is fast, hard and passionate, physical intimidation is real and if you don't stand up for yourself, others will take advantage. 

I understand your points, believe me, and I'm not saying I definitively endorse non-reactions or over reactions one way or the other, just that some people can absolutely turn it on or off as desired. I know I can. Granted, I've never played pro hockey, but if everyone was running around full on reaction mode there would be no control on the ice at any time. It would all just be be chaos. 

The biggest thing that pissed me off about last night wasn't the lack of push back, it was the lack of pretty much any push at all after the first period. 

19 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

True Stech is tenacious and I would not want him to take on Hartnell in an actual 1 on 1 fight but is a shove back or a verbally abusive response too much to ask?

"Get some lumber in his teeth!  Let him know you're there!"

Archived