The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

30 minutes ago, stuman491 said:

I've watched this hit numerous times.  Can't figure out why it was penalty.  Can someone help me out here?  Its not late.  I understand his stick was high, but did that actually do the damage? Hard to see if it even contacts him.

I was a brutal high stick. Regardless  of the damage. He didn't receive an additional 2 for the damage which he prob deserved. Just 2 for the high stick. Lenient call. None the less good on VRT for at least making someone bleed for running up the score in a game that was well over.  Get the man a back rub.

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I was a brutal high stick. Regardless  of the damage. He didn't receive an additional 2 for the damage which he prob deserved. Just 2 for the high stick. Lenient call. None the less good on VRT for at least making someone bleed for running up the score in a game that was well over.  Get the man a back rub.

Got to admit it was nice to see him lay a check like that.  Really didn't like Subban or Hartnell's reactions. I'd like to see PK and Jake square off.  I'd put my money on our guy.  Hartnell is just a 4th line goon now.  No point engaging him. 

People have a misguided sense of what is right. What is required? :mellow:

Even Green would not be expecting Stecher or Burmistrov to be fighting Scott Hartnell? Because he is acting like a clown. He'll just park it. And he'll be happy Jake was trying to finish his check. Tell him to keep his stick down.

I'd lay odds that Gudbranson stops by the Nashville bench next game. Has a laugh with Laviolette?  Then tells them to send out Hartnell next shift.  Or he'll pop Subban. Maybe whistle a puck into their bench. And start working his way through the line up. Biggest through smallest till Hartnell answers the bell.

The response we want from Stecher is nothing more than to be as aggressive as he is in board battles. Tenacious. Continue to take on forwards in front of the net. In spite of his size. Burmistrov?  He's here for something else.  But he has to show more compete in the corners, in front of the net.

4 hours ago, combover said:

Yeah, desperation and how did kassian respond how did tryamkin respond how did jake respond who doesn’t have a job.

what benifit out those example had a positive impact. 

I disagree with coaches using the media as a (de)motivator. 

Clearly you don’t I guess we disagree.

Tryamkin didn't respond in Vancouver other than to bitch.

Kassian didn't respond in Vancouver other than to bitch. 

Jake didn't respond in Vancouver other than to bitch. - are you seeing a pattern?

The only reason Jake is back playing here is because he had his poor fitness and attitude confirmed to him with some tough love in Utica by Green. However the guy who should shoulder most blame was the GM who FORCED a coach to play two rookies in a struggling NHL team when they hadn't even played pro against men before.

The only reason Kassian responded was he was signed by a team with so much talent they didn't give a f----- whether he rehabilitated himself into the team or not. People like Kassian see a coach like WD as a mug because he bent over backwards to help him.

Tryamkin was heading home for whatever reason and APPARENTLY justified it by giving the media the fall guy they wanted. However I'm not convinced that's really how Tryamkin saw it.

In Sept I advocated selling high on Granny and/or Baer. Now it doesn't sound so crazy. I knew this team would get steamrolled. It was an obvious approaching storm.

Ya gotta pay them two more than they're worth next summer. Perimeter guys(when the hockey gets nasty) who'll get 70% of their stats in meaningless moments(eg: Oct/Nov games, late in blowouts, etc...). We could have added some size(with less skill) in their places. At LEAST we'd have a backbone!

We trade Pedan. Okay..the deal was fine. Yet maybe that coulda' been Subban + pick instead?

Cramarossa WANTED to be here. Saw him say this is the media. So we dump him.

Never signed Arch..who gets hurt anyways.

************************THE BIG QUESTION!*************************

WHAT THE F*** does Gag-me actually do/accomplish?!?!

Why would you give that useless litlle chihuahua 3x3 mill. This certainly p***es me off. So much cash flushed down the loo. Glad I'm not a STH !

+ other signings who offer no push-back.

This team THREW Dorsett to the wolves. Hey..sorry bout that back pain. Here..push this elephant up Everest, eh?

15 hours ago, Pete M said:

This is why Jake doesn't throw those hits every game...there is no one on the team that has his back.

Really? You think so? Believe me when I tell you that even though Troy Stetcher is diminutive in height, he is a probably the most emotional player in the Canucks lineup, and if he was on the ice, he would have quickly jumped into the foray and climbed someone's back. Although he is presently -4 in the plus/minus and has served 9 minutes so far this year in penalties, they seem to overlook how many penalties he draws from the opposition, which is plenty. Why? Because of his diminutive size, and yes, he is still young and when he gains the experience of cashing in and keeping the puck in control closer to his body and leans more down and forward into his momentum when moving up ice, he will continue to frustrate forwards and draw penalties. The kid has the heart of a berserker warrior, and he is undrafted and only 23 years old. The Canucks have had unusual success with undrafted players.

They probably won't retire Jersey number 14 for their most dedicated undrafted player, but I personally think they should. Of course there is no question that A.B. will be in "Ring of Honour" but not likely jersey retired. But I'd be happy to be wrong.

Not the point, Stetcher is a jump in kind of guy, Hutton I think wants to be, but we all knew that it was Derek Dorsett that caused most teams to behave themselves, but this season, Derek was making hard hits, and dealing out the evil eye a plenty, but his actually fighting was down, and his scoring touch was starting to raise eyebrows. An NHL fairy tale comeback store building up if I ever saw one. One that the team rallied around and boosted their camaraderie and confidence in the locker room and both on and off the ice. Dorsett's loss became the Achilles Heel for the Canucks team, but it is there job to learn not to dwell on it and move forward.

We should not crucify them for a paltry slide. What team doesn't go through them? It is just uniquely odd that Vancouver Canuck fans are among the most highly critical fan base in the entire NHL community. Harsh and unforgiving. Or any sport for that matter. Win or lose, they have some bizarre sense of privilege that it is just fine and dandy to riot in the streets and cause millions of dollars in property damage. Barbaric with the mentality of Neanderthals.

Then there are fan base internet sites, where most consider themselves quite clever with their photos, videos, .gif clips, quotes from players, and alumni as if they were holy scripture. Oh yes, clever indeed, but completely blind to the fact that it is all repetitious, redundant, and quite rhetoric, or for you less educated minions, lazy monkey see, monkey do.

If you spent equal time in thought and saying what is constructive literature of prose and supportive ideals, it would be impressive. Insults may be fun, but they lack the integrity of true grit satire. A Canadian tradition of satire. Insult humor, is well, so American. Sorry Yanks, but you know that's true. Republicans can't help themselves from a constant barrage of mud slinging insults at Democrats and Vice Versa. You simply hate each other. You have zero concept of bipartisanship. Your Electoral College is a comedy of errors, and your bureaucracy within government (definition of Bureaucracy is government by desks) is like a cash vacuum. To top that off, they are all departments that are headed and filled by non elected officials and far too many employees. Thus, the question? Where's the money. The answer, Ergo: Hell, I don't know, haven't got a clue, I left an envelope of it on my desk here a while ago, now it seems to be gone, best check around with the lobbyists. (See? Satire, there you have it)

Now back to the grit of Vancouver hockey business. The Canucks have plenty of talent, but the largest percentage of it is still young and raw. The head coach is a fresh face to the NHL head coach scene, it will take time for him to acclimate to the NHL level to be on even terms with his peers. They probably still are working on getting a clinical sync going with each and every coach on staff, the trainers on staff, as well as their communications with the GM and team President, then on top of that, they have to keep an eye on who is doing what in their affiliate team, the Utica Comets.

Now, I am certainly not being paid by the Canucks organization to do any of those jobs, and I doubt that anyone posting here is in employ of the Canuck team staff or management organization. I also doubt very much that they even care one wit what any of us have to say. Sure, they have someone who sorts through all of this stuff who gets the privilege of ignoring 99.9% of it. Even my long winded crap. But at least I say something rather than nothing, and there is plenty of nothing going on around here. More like a bunch of "wanna be"s, whiners, and cry babies.

If you can't chop wood, don't touch that axe.

Cheers

4 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

It doesn't matter what they say publicly or in the room...It's the response on the ice that matters.

I'll say it again > nobody should expect 5'9'' Stecher to take on Hartnell because he was being an ass.

Not that we should be shrinking violets either.  But look at the standings?  

We are 3 points out of the playoff's. More importantly >  Have 83 goals for. 97 against.

97 is not even a terribly bad goals against. And that after a 7 point belting. It was looking good before! Better than several playoff teams. Our system is working. It has just taken a huge hit with Horvat & Sutter out.  Who contribute to keeping the goals down. We need to look past a bad game. And with them out, the new ''shutdown'' guys Gaunce & Virtanen were minus one, and even. They were not the problem.

What we really need to be working on is goals for. Baer is also out. I don't advocate waiving Burmistrov. Bringing up MacEwen either. Some have suggested it & I think its stupid. Because Dorsett is gone & we need pushback, blah, blah, blah. What we really need is Burmistrov & Goldobin to go to the bloody net! :frantic: And fans to be more concerned about hockey than a shoolyard bully in Hartnell. Even if Stecher took a bloody nose in that poke, he's a pro and it should not bother him. Nor do I think it does. Its sad too many ''fans'' are consumed by it?

The real story is Burmistrov & Goldobin, Granlund as well, have to start showing they can score while they have a position in the line up.  We should see them flying, maybe not taking a bloody nose in a scrum. But absolutely a bloody nose in front of the net if it helps create chances.  And Goldobin a minus 4, Gagner a -3 is completely unacceptable on home ice. Even with some bad goals. In public I hope Green says nothing to throw them under a bus. But they should be scoring & competing!  At practice those guys should be bag skated like rented mules & reminded Benning is working the phones!  

21 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

In Sept I advocated selling high on Granny and/or Baer. Now it doesn't sound so crazy. I knew this team would get steamrolled. It was an obvious approaching storm.

Ya gotta pay them two more than they're worth next summer. Perimeter guys(when the hockey gets nasty) who'll get 70% of their stats in meaningless moments(eg: Oct/Nov games, late in blowouts, etc...). We could have added some size(with less skill) in their places. At LEAST we'd have a backbone!

We trade Pedan. Okay..the deal was fine. Yet maybe that coulda' been Subban + pick instead?

Cramarossa WANTED to be here. Saw him say this is the media. So we dump him.

Never signed Arch..who gets hurt anyways.

************************THE BIG QUESTION!*************************

WHAT THE F*** does Gag-me actually do/accomplish?!?!

Why would you give that useless litlle chihuahua 3x3 mill. This certainly p***es me off. So much cash flushed down the loo. Glad I'm not a STH !

+ other signings who offer no push-back.

This team THREW Dorsett to the wolves. Hey..sorry bout that back pain. Here..push this elephant up Everest, eh?

Selling ''high'' in September is stupid. Granny & Baer are young, and deserve a chance to become the players that is within their ceiling.  And both are playing solid roles, even if Granny could be scoring more.  I'm not thrilled with Granny. But he has a fair chunk more rope before I'm, as you are, jumping off a bridge with him.

No rebuild is achieved by trading your young players before they have had a chance.

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'll say it again > nobody should expect 5'9'' Stecher to take on Hartnell because he was being an ass.

Not that we should be shrinking violets either.  But look at the standings?  

We are 3 points out of the playoff's. More importantly >  Have 83 goals for. 97 against.

97 is not even a terribly bad goals against. And that after a 7 point belting. It was looking good before! Better than several playoff teams. Our system is working. It has just taken a huge hit with Horvat & Sutter out.  Who contribute to keeping the goals down. We need to look past a bad game. And with them out, the new ''shutdown'' guys Gaunce & Virtanen were minus one, and even. They were not the problem.

What we really need to be working on is goals for. Baer is also out. I don't advocate waiving Burmistrov. Bringing up MacEwen either. Some have suggested it & I think its stupid. Because Dorsett is gone & we need pushback, blah, blah, blah. What we really need is Burmistrov & Goldobin to go to the bloody net! :frantic: And fans to be more concerned about hockey than a shoolyard bully in Hartnell. Even if Stecher took a bloody nose in that poke, he's a pro and it should not bother him. Nor do I think it does. Its sad too many ''fans'' are consumed by it?

The real story is Burmistrov & Goldobin, Granlund as well, have to start showing they can score while they have a position in the line up.  We should see them flying, maybe not taking a bloody nose in a scrum. But absolutely a bloody nose in front of the net if it helps create chances.  And Goldobin a minus 4, Gagner a -3 is completely unacceptable on home ice. Even with some bad goals. In public I hope Green says nothing to throw them under a bus. But they should be scoring & competing!  At practice those guys should be bag skated like rented mules & reminded Benning is working the phones!  

I think part of our goal challenge is a lack of going to the net caused by icing players who are not willing to get a bloody nose, as you describe.  If you think Ganger, or Burmy are going to up their compete level and play more physical/aggressive, I believe you are dreaming.  I am not interested in toughness for its own sake but because it creates the time and space for talented players to do their thing.  Why do you see Lucic and Maroon on a line with McDavid? Our skill guys are not going to be comfortable crashing the net etc. in the knowledge they will likely get the crap beat out of them or be targeted every shift.

As with all things, it is about balance.  Right now, we are not in balance and have too many perimeter/soft players that teams are taking advantage of.  Other teams are free to run our D with impunity in our end and our forwards are being out-muscled constantly everywhere on the ice.  Contrary to what your girlfriend may have told you, size does matter and use of that size matters more.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

One has to wonder why some players just stand there and take it. Are they given direction to do so?

I doubt this comes from either Green or previously WD.

My personal opinion is it does not appear to be a tick box on our GM/scouts handbook. Ironic considering JB's pedigree.

If our PoH had passed down a memo when JB was hired we would already be seeing an improvement in this roster. Dorsett and Guddy are the only players we have signed/ traded for who had terminal push back. Tryamkin doesn't count in my book as he was "very" reluctant apparently despite showing he actually had a talent for it.

I said when Loui was signed I didn't like the move because despite being a good player he was too "soft" for this team. The same could be said for Goldobin, MDZ, Pouliot, Vanek, Gagner, Sutter, Baertschi, Granny - are you seeing the pattern?

It is further worrying when we look at who is in the pipeline. Pettersson, Dahlen, Juolevi, Lind,

My opinion was that we need push back in the top two lines. Guys who are there to answer the bell when the cheap hit is made. Up to now only Gadjovich comes close and we don't know if he will make the top 2 lines.

Forgive me but I even had doubts about Bo until he fought Nurse. I am still smarting that they gave what should have been Bo's "A" to someone like MDZ.

24 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I think part of our goal challenge is a lack of going to the net caused by icing players who are not willing to get a bloody nose, as you describe.  If you think Ganger, or Burmy are going to up their compete level and play more physical/aggressive, I believe you are dreaming.  I am not interested in toughness for its own sake but because it creates the time and space for talented players to do their thing.  Why do you see Lucic and Maroon on a line with McDavid? Our skill guys are not going to be comfortable crashing the net etc. in the knowledge they will likely get the crap beat out of them or be targeted every shift.

As with all things, it is about balance.  Right now, we are not in balance and have too many perimeter/soft players that teams are taking advantage of.  Other teams are free to run our D with impunity in our end and our forwards are being out-muscled constantly everywhere on the ice.  Contrary to what your girlfriend may have told you, size does matter and use of that size matters more.

Much better post quib.  

Green clearly notices guys who are willing. I loved how he commended Stecher for being willing to go through a wall for his team a week ago.  And it should not be unnoticed that Burmistrov had been a healthy scratch. Who maybe has not? So too has Biega been in the line up. While Wiercioch is on the farm. It gets noticed.

I also believe, solidly, that Upshall was going to make our team.  But commendable that they let him go back to St Lou, as he would have wanted,  when he was getting a contract. And I was disappointed some of our other PTO's did not work out, White got injured.  These were moves, along with whipping Jake into shape, designed to improve our size & speed. Our pushback.  So to does Benning notice!  But it has fallen a bit short.

I suspect they are working on it.  Guys like Lind, he's not small, and more notably Gadjovich & Tryamkin have been drafted.  There is evidence along with those PTO's. 

Its just part of rebuilding...

We are not there just yet is the problem.  :( 

6 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I doubt this comes from either Green or previously WD.

My personal opinion is it does not appear to be a tick box on our GM/scouts handbook. Ironic considering JB's pedigree.

See my post directly above. And some earlier ones.

Benning is calling for it. Had White and Upshall here on PTO's. Drafted Tryamkin, Virtanen, Gadjovich, etc. Was heavily rumoured in on Lucic, grabbed Guddy by trade.

Just not got it done as a whole yet.

It will happen!

4 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Yes, there are. That was the intent of free agency. It takes bold and daring trades. It takes drafting player ready to play, like Horvat, not 3 or 4 year projects.

And yes, under this regime it will be another 3 to 4 years or longer.

And this is...I wouldn't say pathetic, but built for the wrong league, small, soft, emotionless, fragile and business like. Winning or losing, they get paid the same.

There is no way a team can be rebuilt through free agency. Free agency is at best to fill the odd hole on a short term basis. Rebuilding takes time and luck on top of good management. Was Juolevi the right pick last year? Doesn't look great right now. There can't be too many misses on high picks or the rebuild goes nowhere. Toronto got lucky with Matthews and Edmonton with McDavid. 

14 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Selling ''high'' in September is stupid. Granny & Baer are young, and deserve a chance to become the players that is within their ceiling.  And both are playing solid roles, even if Granny could be scoring more.  I'm not thrilled with Granny. But he has a fair chunk more rope before I'm, as you are, jumping off a bridge with him.

No rebuild is achieved by trading your young players before they have had a chance.

You speak in absolutes, yet don't know what the return might have been. You don't know how them 2 will perform next yr, when we're allotting probably 7 millAAV for the 2 combined.

Today we see a team once again decimated with injuries, & again getting sand kicked in their face & lunch $ stolen.

Even if we sacrificed some skill(waiting for the Linds, Dahlens, Gads, Gauds, EP's to arrive), yet built a committed, 'pack-mentality', accountable collection of gamers.. I'd probably be happier than witnessing what the last 2 games has produced. You use an insulting word, yet you've prob heard Einstein's definition of repeating what we've recently been through(whilst expecting something different)? That's fine..your opinion..& alright to disagree.

3 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Settle down. We're missing several key players from the lineup. Every team has bad games, wth some very bad puck luck tonight. No needs to do the chicken little dance, and try and enlighten us with some information that isn't even true. 

Just like another poster pointed out Edmonton is still struggling with all the first round luck they've had. This is the result of injuries and AHL callups. Chill.

Of course the team is decimated right now, I mean after all Baertschi and Sutter are elite players in this league. And for sure, when they are back this team will be tops again. Or maybe not. Is Horvat really a top center in the NHL? Or just the top Canucks' center?

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You speak in absolutes, yet don't know what the return might have been. You don't know how them 2 will perform next yr, when we're allotting probably 7 millAAV for the 2 combined.

Today we see a team once again decimated with injuries, & again getting sand kicked in their face & lunch $ stolen.

Even if we sacrificed some skill(waiting for the Linds, Dahlens, Gads, Gauds, EP's to arrive), yet built a committed, 'pack-mentality', accountable collection of gamers.. I'd probably be happier than witnessing what the last 2 games has produced. You use an insulting word, yet you've prob heard Einstein's definition of repeating what we've recently been through(whilst expecting something different)? That's fine..your opinion..& alright to disagree.

Absolutely trading young guys in September is giving up early.

Fine, I don't know what the return would have been.  But I hate these posts after a loss. I doubt Benning was actively lshopping them in September. Unless he was, the hypothetical return was also moot. 

He is, looking apparently though;   

And, while I doubt he is targeting moving Granlund or Baer? I also don't doubt they would go, as we traded McCann, if the return was right.

But please, the we coulda got someone just like ''Hall'' for Tanev, for Granlund, for Baer is best reserved for the proposals section.  Or rumours section.

Not in reaction to a loss. Just my opinion.

20 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Much better post quib.  

Green clearly notices guys who are willing. I loved how he commended Stecher for being willing to go through a wall for his team a week ago.  And it should not be unnoticed that Burmistrov had been a healthy scratch. Who maybe has not? So too has Biega been in the line up. While Wiercioch is on the farm. It gets noticed.

I also believe, solidly, that Upshall was going to make our team.  But commendable that they let him go back to St Lou, as he would have wanted,  when he was getting a contract. And I was disappointed some of our other PTO's did not work out, White got injured.  These were moves, along with whipping Jake into shape, designed to improve our size & speed. Our pushback.  So to does Benning notice!  But it has fallen a bit short.

I suspect they are working on it.  Guys like Lind, he's not small, and more notably Gadjovich & Tryamkin have been drafted.  There is evidence along with those PTO's. 

Its just part of rebuilding...

We are not there just yet is the problem.  :( 

Yeah. I'm sure everyone sees it, even our own players. Certainly our competition is aware of it.

If will take time but hopefully some of our prospects will be ready and able soon.

Maybe we jb can find a solution externally but I fear what a legitimate solution would cost us. Probably patience is necessary but even knowing all this, it is painful  watching this team get pushed around and humiliated.  Not a good culture for our kids.

17 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

See my post directly above. And some earlier ones.

Benning is calling for it. Had White and Upshall here on PTO's. Drafted Tryamkin, Virtanen, Gadjovich, etc. Was heavily rumoured in on Lucic, grabbed Guddy by trade.

Just not got it done as a whole yet.

It will happen!

I see what you are saying but we need it to be happening at the top end of the lines. Do we really think Jake and Gadjovich will be 1st/2nd line players?

I don't agree that Tyryamkin was a tick in the box otherwise he would not have made such a fuss about playing a heavy intimidating game. I was very annoyed that we could have a player from draft to 90+ games in the NHL and not have discussed the role he was there to perform.

Archived