The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, riffraff said:

Cos he rode into the hit with a vertical lance and connected to the predators face.

How are people not seeing this or ignoring it.

wow.

Could u explain what u mean by he rode into the hit? 

He wasn't charging. He was gliding into the hit from what I see on the replay.

If u see the replay, he wasn't even making any strides when puck went D to D from subban to emelin.

I saw the same hit whether it's on our D man or on opposing team's D man during the entire season. 

From other posts, I read that it was highsticking that it was called for. 

And Ya I agree. 

But to the nature of the hit, it was a mundane hit around the league. There wasn't an intent to injure. 

Unlucky that stick came up high on that one. 

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Absolutely trading young guys in September is giving up early.

Fine, I don't know what the return would have been.  But I hate these posts after a loss. I doubt Benning was actively lshopping them in September. Unless he was, the hypothetical return is moot. 

He is, looking apparently though;   

And, while I doubt he is targeting moving Granlund or Baer? I also don't doubt they would go, as we traded McCann, if the return was right.

But please, the we coulda got someone just like ''Hall'' for Tanev, for Granlund, for Baer is best reserved for the proposals section.  Or rumours section.

Not in reaction to a loss. Just my opinion.

I've never shied away from any of those sections, I'm sure you're aware(with both our post counts).

The topic is regarding our overall philosophy/approach to aggressive play, & how we seem to be perpetually playing out the bullied victim. It's pertinent to every/any PGT.

You're right, these trade-returns are all speculative. What is 99.9%(absolute) is that we COULD have assembled a more gritty lineup from camp, with a glance back at what recent seasonal-trends have served us.

I've also bumped the (Canucks' Team Toughness) thread I'd started last March. Several posters have been noting the same deficiency, dating back months/years.

Finally, what JB is apparently "doing" within any one given moment, is mostly irrelevant. Teams are built over long periods, a moment in time means almost SFA...

13 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Relax it was a joke in reference to something mentioned in the GDT.

Me? I'm always relaxed, everything and anything I post I am in relaxed mode with a half smile pasted on my face, and my fingers being completely reflective in the humourous genre of satire. Now, the definition of satire is taking basically what others take for granted, or taking ordinary truths that may be mundane or even rhetorical, even to the point of being down right ridiculously boring (which by the way is a classical oxymoron), and bringing it to light by poking a bit of fun at it. Now, if I were doing so in front of a live audience, I would apply techniques such as deadpan, which is the most common among satirical stand up comics, but there would also be voice infliction and times pauses for it to sink into audiences frontal lobes if it managed to get past their thick craniums. Now a great many American satirical comics prefer to use heavy sarcasm in their delivery of satire, Dennis Miller is such an example, Denis Leary is another. I prefer the deadpan, and the best master of deadpan satire is Steven Wright, who is American is not recognized in America as a satire humourist. They call him all sorts of other things such as surreal, one liner, observational comedy, and even anti humor. It is like they have zero concept of satire. Even one of their greatest historical humourist who wrote fantastic satire, Mark Twain aka Samuel Langhorne Clemens, was not credited in the USA as a satirist, but was credited as such in the rest of the world. In Canada, our best humourist and writer of satire was without a doubt was Stephen Leacock. Yet Leacock was much more than that, he was a writer, political scientist and a teacher. On the topic of hockey his quote was: "Hockey captures the essence of Canadian experience in the New World. In a land that is so inescapably and inhospitably cold, hockey is the chance of life, and an affirmation that despite the deathly chill of winter, we are alive." or something to that effect, I am not sure if that is verbatim.

Yet it is a valid and definitive context of what we contributed to the world and continue to do so.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Tryamkin didn't respond in Vancouver other than to bitch.

Kassian didn't respond in Vancouver other than to bitch. 

Jake didn't respond in Vancouver other than to bitch. - are you seeing a pattern?

The only reason Jake is back playing here is because he had his poor fitness and attitude confirmed to him with some tough love in Utica by Green. However the guy who should shoulder most blame was the GM who FORCED a coach to play two rookies in a struggling NHL team when they hadn't even played pro against men before.

The only reason Kassian responded was he was signed by a team with so much talent they didn't give a f----- whether he rehabilitated himself into the team or not. People like Kassian see a coach like WD as a mug because he bent over backwards to help him.

Tryamkin was heading home for whatever reason and APPARENTLY justified it by giving the media the fall guy they wanted. However I'm not convinced that's really how Tryamkin saw it.

Willie hurt Tram, Kass and Jake 

they all played better under other coaches 

The amount of drama queens on this forum is baffling. The sky is falling, the team is doomed, benning sucks, bring back odjick to fight everyone! /sarcasm

Can you guys seriously not just sit back and relax for a bit? The team prior to the injuries was competing at a very high level, much higher than anyone really expected. However, when you're missing the likes of Horvat, Sutter, baertschi, dorsett, gudbranson (and now possibly Tanev).. You're going to struggle. There isn't any team in the league that could lose that many key players and then still expect to win games. We just got steam rolled by the Stanley cup finalists from last season, and anything less than what we saw last night would of reflected poorly on Nashville as a team, rather than the ahl team we have playing right now  

I'm continuing to watch the games mostly to see if boeser can continue his success, but I'm realistic about the idea that we are probably going to get crushed game after game until we get at least some of our injured players back. This could be a blessing in disguise. We have seen that the team when healthy is competitive, yet this is definitely not the season to over achieve and make the playoffs. In the long run, this may help us land one of the final pieces that will help complete the rebuild. Stop living in the moment and look at the big picture. 

16 minutes ago, Kushman said:

The amount of drama queens on this forum is baffling. The sky is falling, the team is doomed, benning sucks, bring back odjick to fight everyone! /sarcasm

Can you guys seriously not just sit back and relax for a bit? The team prior to the injuries was competing at a very high level, much higher than anyone really expected. However, when you're missing the likes of Horvat, Sutter, baertschi, dorsett, gudbranson (and now possibly Tanev).. You're going to struggle. There isn't any team in the league that could lose that many key players and then still expect to win games. We just got steam rolled by the Stanley cup finalists from last season, and anything less than what we saw last night would of reflected poorly on Nashville as a team, rather than the ahl team we have playing right now  

I'm continuing to watch the games mostly to see if boeser can continue his success, but I'm realistic about the idea that we are probably going to get crushed game after game until we get at least some of our injured players back. This could be a blessing in disguise. We have seen that the team when healthy is competitive, yet this is definitely not the season to over achieve and make the playoffs. In the long run, this may help us land one of the final pieces that will help complete the rebuild. Stop living in the moment and look at the big picture. 

That's a great story about how you are at peace.  You are very fortunate.

I don't agree it is a forgone conclusion that the team will get  eat up every game.  Been expected others to step up and so did/do some fans.  You appear happy to accept less, good for you.

As for what some.of us choose to discuss, if you don't like it, don't read it.  Hockey is a passionate game. Some of us fans are also passionate and choose to express that passion here.

7 hours ago, combover said:

I don’t want him to call guys out with the media. It doesn’t instill anything except distrust and resentment.

especially with Vancouver rat media looking to make a HUGE story out of little comment.

I hate seeing coachs throw guys under the bus then expect them to go bleed for them.

ask confindence crusher Willie how tossing players under the bus with the press  works out.

they played poorly does it really need to be said, do you honestly think they don’t know it. Why feed the rats.

Now, most of us do not have the multi volume set of rules, regulations, misconducts, behavioral conduct, fines and punishments that the NHL lords over not only players, coaches, staff, but yes, even the owners. Bettman has everyone on a leash. Play nice or get a hot poker where you don't want a hot poker. There are so many no no's of what anyone can say, even the media is under a certain degree of NHL overseer power. It is all, don't do this, don't do that.

Still the media has enough power to finagle and manipulate, to present enough sensationalism to get away with stuff and still look like they are the sneaky rats. Trust me, the National Basketball Association (NBA)gave a massive sigh of relief when Bettman left them and started to haunt the NHL. Oh sure, he created the soft salary cap in the NBA which THEY claim still exists today. Yeah right. Compare the number of high paid currently playing NBA players with the high paid current NHL players, there is a huge difference and the NBA comes out smelling like a rose.

Get rid of Bettman, reestablish a proper National Hockey League Players Association like the old days when it was run like a no nonsense union, (yeah sure, they were all corrupt as hell, but players got descent contracts and far better benefits). What? You think that the owners are not making money? Well, they would be making a helluva lot more if the "League" was not taking the lion's share of the marketing profits under the NHL license. No wonder Gary always has that plastic smile.

Also, the rules are way to overloaded, games would go so much faster if the refs didn't have to stop so many times to have little chit chats about who saw what. They have to keep running to to a headset and ask, "Hey? What's the current ruling on this? Huh, has it changed in the last 15 minutes?"

Video this and video that. Throw all of that nonsense out and let them play hockey. Eliminate about 60% of those ridiculous rules, and give referees the opportunity to actually know the game they are calling. Allow them to be the professionals that we expect them to be where they make the calls as they see it. Whether it is technically photographic or video proved wrong, it doesn't matter. We spent years without the technology, yelling at the ref has always been half the fun of the game. Again it does not matter, it eventually all comes out in the wash, unless of course they happen to be on the take. Which NEVER happens in hockey (snicker).

I am not exited at all with the delays, and then the seemingly ceremonial return to center ice of the referee with the statement of "After video review....blah blah blah, yada yada yada." and then wrists get slapped. Waste of time and nonsense. If you enjoy that crap, I have only deep sympathy and regret for your existence.

Cheers

6 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

That's a great story about how you are at peace.  You are very fortunate.

I don't agree it is a forgone conclusion that the team will get  eat up every game.  Been expected others to step up and so did/do some fans.  You appear happy to accept less, good for you.

As for what some.of us choose to discuss, if you don't like it, don't read it.  Hockey is a passionate game. Some of us fans are also passionate and choose to express that passion here.

It's not about accepting less, it's about facing reality. Soundbytes like "guys need to step up", "play hard" isn't going to combat the fact that the team is missing their 2nd,3rd,4th  highest goal scorers on the team. You think a Gagner or a burmistrov or Chaput are going to step in and replace what Horvat and Sutter were doing going up against the premier lines of every team in the NHL? Give your head a shake. This isn't remember the titans or some other hollywood movie where the underdogs are gonna win because of some inspiring words from the coach. Guys aren't just going to magically turn into superstars because they need to "step up". That's not how it works. You're either underestimating the value that guys like Horvat, Sutter, and Baer bring to the team, or you're completely delusional in your expectations of a team that has a number one line that is up for retirement after this season. I'm as passionate about the team as anyone, have been a fan since my family moved to BC in 1993.. I've seen the highs and I've seen the lows and watch every damn game regardless if the team is winning or losing but I can differentiate between a team that is poorly managed with no hope of success for the future and a team that is grossly injured throughout the lineup and doesn't have a realistic chance of winning regardless of what the coach or media tries to spin  with AHL callups.  

3 minutes ago, Kushman said:

It's not about accepting less, it's about facing reality. Soundbytes like "guys need to step up", "play hard" isn't going to combat the fact that the team is missing their 2nd,3rd,4th  highest goal scorers on the team. You think a Gagner or a burmistrov or Chaput are going to step in and replace what Horvat and Sutter were doing going up against the premier lines of every team in the NHL? Give your head a shake. This isn't remember the titans or some other hollywood movie where the underdogs are gonna win because of some inspiring words from the coach. Guys aren't just going to magically turn into superstars because they need to "step up". That's not how it works. You're either underestimating the value that guys like Horvat, Sutter, and Baer bring to the team, or you're completely delusional in your expectations of a team that has a number one line that is up for retirement after this season. I'm as passionate about the team as anyone, have been a fan since my family moved to BC in 1993.. I've seen the highs and I've seen the lows and watch every damn game regardless if the team is winning or losing but I can differentiate between a team that is poorly managed with no hope of success for the future and a team that is grossly injured throughout the lineup and doesn't have a realistic chance of winning regardless of what the coach or media tries to spin  with AHL callups.  

I've been a fan a lot longer than you which means I've seen a lot more downs than you. 

I am not delusional and don't expect those you mention to replace better players.  That doesn't mean I am willing to accept lazy, careless and gutless hockey from them.  Play hard and tough and thd results are secondary. 

I am sorry but your approach comes off as defeatist.  You have accepted the team will underperform. I have not and I doubt Green has either.   I hope the players haven't, though, last night it looked like they have.

24 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I've been a fan a lot longer than you which means I've seen a lot more downs than you. 

I am not delusional and don't expect those you mention to replace better players.  That doesn't mean I am willing to accept lazy, careless and gutless hockey from them.  Play hard and tough and thd results are secondary. 

I am sorry but your approach comes off as defeatist.  You have accepted the team will underperform. I have not and I doubt Green has either.   I hope the players haven't, though, last night it looked like they have.

Maybe all the years of watching them lose has created unrealistic expectations in your head.

Let me ask you this question, at what point would you concede that the team is outclassed and outmatched and simply saying "play hard and tough" won't actually do anything? Would it take losing Boeser and the Sedins?  Or is there never a point where you look at the team and say, ya.. they just don't have the talent in the lineup right now to compete right now, they just need to play hard and tough. Which begs the next question, who exactly do you expect to play tough at the moment? The team without gudbranson and dorsett is very soft (this would be a fair critique of Benning & Co if you were to make one) Sedins? not gonna happen Erickson? not gonna happen. Granlund, boeser, stetcher, tanev? Go throughout the current lineup and you're  not gonna find guys that can play a hard hitting tough type of game... the team isn't built for that. We were built for speed and skill, but that speed and skill is injured (gudbranson and dorsett were supposed to be the grit)

What you call defeatist, I call realistic. I'm the first one to call out the team for playing with a lack of energy and purpose when it calls for it. Hell, the last 4 games there have been times they've played well, but its clear that the players filling in are way over their heads. They're trying to do more than they're capable of. My point is, you can't expect to lose these many key pieces and expect that the team will continue playing at the level they were by just saying that they have to "play hard and tough". 

6 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

we are really missing what Dorsett was bringing to this team early on.

Yeah that has been blatant the past few games. We miss having that guy who can turn a game around and get the team going with a single shift. Sometimes all it would take is for the team to see him go thump a few guys to bring the confidence out of the rest of the guys to start finishing their checks.

I hope Dorsett has really rubbed off on Virtanen and that he will take a few things out of watching him. 

11 minutes ago, Kushman said:

Maybe all the years of watching them lose has created unrealistic expectations in your head.

Let me ask you this question, at what point would you concede that the team is outclassed and outmatched and simply saying "play hard and tough" won't actually do anything? Would it take losing Boeser and the Sedins?  Or is there never a point where you look at the team and say, ya.. they just don't have the talent in the lineup right now to compete right now, they just need to play hard and tough. Which begs the next question, who exactly do you expect to play tough at the moment? The team without gudbranson and dorsett is very soft (this would be a fair critique of Benning & Co if you were to make one) Sedins? not gonna happen Erickson? not gonna happen. Granlund, boeser, stetcher, tanev? Go throughout the current lineup and you're  not gonna find guys that can play a hard hitting tough type of game... the team isn't built for that. We were built for speed and skill, but that speed and skill is injured (gudbranson and dorsett were supposed to be the grit)

What you call defeatist, I call realistic. I'm the first one to call out the team for playing with a lack of energy and purpose when it calls for it. Hell, the last 4 games there have been times they've played well, but its clear that the players filling in are way over their heads. They're trying to do more than they're capable of. My point is, you can't expect to lose these many key pieces and expect that the team will continue playing at the level they were by just saying that they have to "play hard and tough". 

How you can connect being a fan of this team since they came into the league creating unrealistic expectations does not strengthen your argument. 

You missed my point, I specifically said I did not expect the remaining players or the team to play to the level they were before the injuries.  I said I expected them to play to the extent of their abilities, to play hard and execute the systems.  They have not been doing that.  

You call it realistic, I call it defeatist to accept performances that are below the ability of the players. I don't agree that the current roster is as bad as the last 2 games.

I will grant you, it does look like most of the current roster have adopted your excuses for just mailing it in.

Then there is just the basic simplicity of the frustration of players, each feeling that they, as individuals "MUST" be the "ONE" to step up and make the difference. C'mon, you have to know what sort of mental stress that puts on anyone, it creates "blinder syndrome" and they, as the broadcasters tell it, are squeezing their sticks a little to tightly and trying what they believe is a solo effort to gain the zone and put that puck past the goaltender. With the blinders on, they are not seeing the ice, they are suffering from tunnel vision, they over estimate their effort and get caught in their own folly, which throws their concentration for a loop, they are not taking time to assess situations, slow their pace, ensure their sight lines, and gauge their passes so they count. Otherwise, they are trying so hard to get a goal, they just end up telegraphing they actions.

What? You don't think that every single player is not under the microscope of other teams. Part of the coaching sessions are watching how players on other teams systematically go through their motions, their natural tells. Great players, have to constantly keep reinventing themselves, or they will forever get shut down. If you have not seen that happen to players, then you have not been watching the same sport I have for 60 years.

If you do believe that hockey is not a psychological game, then you know nothing at all. It is extremely psychological. Stress levels run dangerously high, and it is no wonder nor surprise when bad goes to worse. It happens. What do you armchair cutthroats do? You start playing the blame game. I don't see you behind the bench nor do I see any of you out on the ice wearing a jersey. I certainly don't claim to be either. I already accept that I am a flawed human being. That there is no such thing as perfection. I can't possibly pretend to hold such high esteem or omnipotence as so many here who must be hockey deities sitting on their thrones while a host of winged angels play harps and sing their praises of their blinding brilliance.

How y'all feelin' now? Eh? I just promoted many of you to godhood whilst I remained a mere mortal. Yer welcome!

5 minutes ago, scratchmb said:

Then there is just the basic simplicity of the frustration of players, each feeling that they, as individuals "MUST" be the "ONE" to step up and make the difference. C'mon, you have to know what sort of mental stress that puts on anyone, it creates "blinder syndrome" and they, as the broadcasters tell it, are squeezing their sticks a little to tightly and trying what they believe is a solo effort to gain the zone and put that puck past the goaltender. With the blinders on, they are not seeing the ice, they are suffering from tunnel vision, they over estimate their effort and get caught in their own folly, which throws their concentration for a loop, they are not taking time to assess situations, slow their pace, ensure their sight lines, and gauge their passes so they count. Otherwise, they are trying so hard to get a goal, they just end up telegraphing they actions.

What? You don't think that every single player is not under the microscope of other teams. Part of the coaching sessions are watching how players on other teams systematically go through their motions, their natural tells. Great players, have to constantly keep reinventing themselves, or they will forever get shut down. If you have not seen that happen to players, then you have not been watching the same sport I have for 60 years.

If you do believe that hockey is not a psychological game, then you know nothing at all. It is extremely psychological. Stress levels run dangerously high, and it is no wonder nor surprise when bad goes to worse. It happens. What do you armchair cutthroats do? You start playing the blame game. I don't see you behind the bench nor do I see any of you out on the ice wearing a jersey. I certainly don't claim to be either. I already accept that I am a flawed human being. That there is no such thing as perfection. I can't possibly pretend to hold such high esteem or omnipotence as so many here who must be hockey deities sitting on their thrones while a host of winged angels play harps and sing their praises of their blinding brilliance.

How y'all feelin' now? Eh? I just promoted many of you to godhood whilst I remained a mere mortal. Yer welcome!

Good post until you went all self righteous. But then, you did admit you are flawed.

35 minutes ago, scratchmb said:

Get over yourself 

These are well paid professional athletes not volunteers. The reason most have attained NHL level play is they can handle the pressure and grind of expectations and injuries 

We as fans, many that pay ridiculous game admission, have every right to express our opinions. It is a free country after all 

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Tryamkin didn't respond in Vancouver other than to bitch.

Kassian didn't respond in Vancouver other than to bitch. 

Jake didn't respond in Vancouver other than to bitch. - are you seeing a pattern?

The only reason Jake is back playing here is because he had his poor fitness and attitude confirmed to him with some tough love in Utica by Green. However the guy who should shoulder most blame was the GM who FORCED a coach to play two rookies in a struggling NHL team when they hadn't even played pro against men before.

The only reason Kassian responded was he was signed by a team with so much talent they didn't give a f----- whether he rehabilitated himself into the team or not. People like Kassian see a coach like WD as a mug because he bent over backwards to help him.

Tryamkin was heading home for whatever reason and APPARENTLY justified it by giving the media the fall guy they wanted. However I'm not convinced that's really how Tryamkin saw it.

Yeah I see the Pattern, calling guys out in the press had no effective/ineffective. It built resentment and distrust. 

And three of the four mentioned are not with the team anymore.

Archived