The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This Team Has No JAM!

captaincowbasher

9 hours ago, smithers joe said:

we could always trade boeser to edmonton for lucic.  then pettersson and lind for muscle. then we'll be tough but not have any goal scorers for our future. 

We don't have to Joe. We just need to add that aspect to our scouting tick list when we are assessing players for the draft. 

There is a player called Josh Anderson playing for Columbus 23 years old, who would have fallen to us in the draft had we not bartered the pick away for a rental. Go and have a look at him now  - and weep. 110 games in the AHL prior to becoming a fixture in Columbus. He's Kassian and Jake rolled into one but less hassle. 6'-3" 220lbs aged 23. These boys are out there guys who are drafted at 95 but can play and push back. Obviously this is all hindsight but my point is this boy would have shown these traits at an early age. 

Actually Columbus spot these kids pretty well judging by the way this young Columbus team play. I would tip them for SC success long before the Canucks.

•  

Earlier on Monday, the Canucks acquired veteran centre Samuel Pahlsson from the Columbus Blue Jackets for minor-league defenceman Taylor Ellington and two 2012 fourth round draft picks. 

8 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

Take this however you want but having at least 1-2 physical players in your top 6 is a recipe for success.

These numbers obviously are open for debate but the difference and trend is undisputable

Number of hits from top 7 scorers of each team

top 10 teams in the standings minus Canucks

Vancouver – 70

Tampa- 127

St Louis- 201

LA- 101

Nashville- 151

Winnipeg- 142

Toronto – 147

Vegas – 201

Columbus – 275

Washington- 276

New jersey- 171

Coincidentally Columbus and the Caps seem to have few injuries although St Louis seem to have about the same as us and they are one heavy heavy team.

Preds, Kings NYR and Tampa are showing one injury.

17 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

This team has no jam because it is not toast.  When healthy, this team is playoff calibre and improving.  I like the direction it's going.

Enjoy the drubbing.

Seriously do you see any variant of the present roster and the present prospects withstanding the physical onslaught of the other Western teams in a best of 7. Because I'm afraid that is what it would come down to  - if you are losing the skill match, ramp up the physicality.

Best of 7 is an attritional contest and if you get to the playoffs you better be willing to bleed and make the other guy bleed more. It's not all about speed and skill and punish the opposition on the power play, 5 on 4 is almost not an advantage any more, where fitness, defensive organisation and goal keeping is better than it ever was.

We certainly haven't wasted our draft picks but for me they are too much of the one type. With respect to them, I don't want to see another generation of Sedin culture. I want an LA or Boston template where we combine skill and speed with a hard nosed truculence. Both these teams probably contribute just as much in the Community and for Charity as our players do, so just because they are tough/ruthless it doesn't mean they are poor role models or people of bad character.

I think Vancouver has had it's fill of turning the other cheek and leaving it all up to two or three big hearted guys who have to fight the rest of the team's battles.

Canucks lost their jam when they lost Dorsett, Gudbranson, and Horvat to injury. Hate to say it, but a team led by old Europeans (Daniel, Henrik, Vanek, Eriksson, Edler) isn't going to get it done in a gritty fashion. They need some nastiness from Virtanen and Gaunce, if that's possible. Dowd also needs to step up. Maybe they should've brought up Archibald, MacEwen and/or Labate to fill spots, instead of Chaput and Burmistrov. This team is easy to play against these days, and their goaltending isn't good enough to steal games. 

We don't need knuckle-draggers or s**t-disturbers on this team; what we need are players with an insatiable drive to win and a infectious competitive fire. Players bound together with a  pack mentality, willing to go to war with one another, who play with motor and stand up for their teammates, when pushed.

The culture of this team is changing but it won't change completely until the Sedins and Edler hit the road. The Sedins are two of the best citizens hockey has ever seen, class acts in every way and deserving of their spot in the rafters of Rogers Arena. But they don't play hockey the way I, personally, would like to see the Canucks play it. Give me a Crosby, a Forsberg, a Messier, a Bobby Clarke... guys who absolutely hate to lose and would literally bleed out on the ice for a victory. These leaders set the tone for the roster and are the heart of their clubs.

There's a reason other clubs have said that the Canucks are easy to play against and it's not because we don't have a roster of goons. We're just too damn polite. Damn I miss Kesler and Bieksa. Now, those guys had jam...

There are still a few survivors of the 2011 Stanley cup final on the current Canucks roster. That team was broken bad and management has yet to repair it. The idea that the new bunch were to be fast and skilled but stay out of the penalty box is dumb at best. Management and no one else is responsible for what we are seeing on the ice.

Another point that keeps coming up is the question; "why do Canucks grab so many European players?" Amazing when the Captain tells us he thinks Boeser is the best natural goal scorer he has ever seen. Boeser is American born. Canada also produces some great players.

Maybe the Canucks should stop scouting Europe and build some grit into the team. It was dumb to just hope Dorset would protect the rest.

1 hour ago, snucks said:

There are still a few survivors of the 2011 Stanley cup final on the current Canucks roster. That team was broken bad and management has yet to repair it. The idea that the new bunch were to be fast and skilled but stay out of the penalty box is dumb at best. Management and no one else is responsible for what we are seeing on the ice.

Another point that keeps coming up is the question; "why do Canucks grab so many European players?" Amazing when the Captain tells us he thinks Boeser is the best natural goal scorer he has ever seen. Boeser is American born. Canada also produces some great players.

Maybe the Canucks should stop scouting Europe and build some grit into the team. It was dumb to just hope Dorset would protect the rest.

If they hurry, maybe they can trade Pettersson for Rasmussen!  If JB gets his chance at 1st overall, he's gotta go for Brady Tkachuk over Dahlin!!!!!!!

You still enjoying the Virtanen pick over Ehlers, Nylander and Pastrnak?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but it is best to pick the highly skilled players in the early 1st round and leave the 'gritty guys' for the later rounds.  They usually play on the 3rd or 4th lines, or 2nd or 3rd D pairings anyways.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Can we do a REWIND and bring back Hansen,Burrows,Kessler,Bieksa,Bertuzzi,Jovo,Dorsett,Odjick,Linden,Smyl and Tiger Williams please!!!!!!!! 

My Prediction is that the Canucks get the first woman to play out in professional hockey. There would be no noticeable difference then what we have playing now.

On 2017-12-14 at 11:52 AM, captaincowbasher said:

I know this comment is coming off a complete drubbing, and it feels like I'm piling on, but I've been posting this for a number of years. The Canucks must shed themselves of the Sedin's and Edler ASAP, as they are slow, ineffective, and have zero JAM- in fact I would go as far as saying they actually create a negative JAM effect around them. They are way to passive and disinterested in the intimidation piece of hockey, of which this piece when applied against them reduces their game even more. The Canucks have not been a good team since Kesler (Mr. JAM). We all remember the team line that the Sedins would preach, "well intimidated them, or make them pay for being aggressive with us on the power play...", not so effective anymore. If we cant deal them, I pray we don't resign them. This team needs to get Big, fast,talented, and mean. Otherwise it will continue to spiral in irrelevance, and I for one feel the fans of this city deserve better.

I too, have said this for a long time.

It is true that the need for a goon is no longer there but skilled, gritty, sandpaper types are. Those that don't, necessarily, drop the gloves every time, but are presences on the ice that other players are aware of, and will throw down when needed.

JB has drafted with physicality in mind. Although my knowledge of him is limited, even Elias Pettersson is said to be physical and aggressive.  Virtanen, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lind, Gunnarson and Lockwood, among others, all take a sandpaper-like approach to the game, yet possess skills beyond being feisty. They also possess two way play, high hockey IQ's, maturity,character, and can provide offence.

The problem is, they are future players and don't take care of our current problem. Even Virtanen is still developing as a professional player.

Considering our current injury woes, fans have been calling for trade. I'm all for this, as long as it follows the rebuild strategy.

However, a young, skilled, gritty player that fits the modern game is not easily acquired and, generally, has great value to his current team. Add to this, Benning's unwillingness to part with, any, prospects, young roster players, or draft picks and the proposition becomes even less likely.

As a fan of a sport, that I consider the best in the world, I understand a fan's desire for success. Watching injuries pile up and the resulting slump is frustrating,but in Vancouver at least, we can be excited at what is developing for our future. Patience must still be the theme. The grit is coming.

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

If they hurry, maybe they can trade Pettersson for Rasmussen!  If JB gets his chance at 1st overall, he's gotta go for Brady Tkachuk over Dahlin!!!!!!!

You still enjoying the Virtanen pick over Ehlers, Nylander and Pastrnak?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but it is best to pick the highly skilled players in the early 1st round and leave the 'gritty guys' for the later rounds.  They usually play on the 3rd or 4th lines, or 2nd or 3rd D pairings anyways.

Why not look for top drafts who can do both? Iginla played on the top line and "sorted out" half of the Leagues bullies.

2012 -Forsberg was drafted 11 and Wilson 16 Jacob Trouba was 9 Mathew Dumba was 7. 

17 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Why not look for top drafts who can do both? Iginla played on the top line and "sorted out" half of the Leagues bullies.

2012 -Forsberg was drafted 11 and Wilson 16 Jacob Trouba was 9 Mathew Dumba was 7. 

Players like Iginla and Forsberg don't come around very often, but they sure did have the physical/gritty style and could score goals. 

I was responding to another poster's comment that the Canucks should avoid picking Euros in the draft; instead going after the grittier North American players.  I was pointing out that often times the Euro player is the best player overall when the Canucks turn comes up.

2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Dont worry. Biega has enough jam to fill everyon's jars 

Yes I have been crying out for Biega's reinstatement ever since he was dropped.

People see his hits and speed but I also see his infectious enthusiasm, a vastly underrated quality he has in spades. He gets the players around him "going" We must be some team if we can afford to have a guy like that sit in the press box.

When he's on the ice there are seldom any f----- mexican waves. (which piss me off)

Archived