The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This Team Has No JAM!

captaincowbasher

....man, this thread was going pretty good until last nights game...hope they can play like that more frequently. Biega is a warrior, he sure made up for our lack of team physicality with the game he had yesterday! Gagne with a sweet hit as well. If it takes Biega to fire these guys up then I say give em more Biega! (it's like the SNL "more cowbell" skit but with more Biega!)

Anyone who's followed the Canucks through the HIGH-JAM eras can appreciate where the OP is going with this. Edler is frustrating given his high jam content early on, but the Sedins have never been push back players although the have and endless supply and ability to take it.  Lady Byng candidates throughout their careers if it wasn't for their stick work.  

The league in general is low on Jam these days with the enforcer roles reverting to pre 70s like fashion.  Guys have to be able to skate and play a role other than pure intimate now and that's a hard commodity to find. MT has that, Juolevi won't.  I don't see much jam in our future based on the prospects except for Jonah the barbarian.  JV has Jam.  Maybe our mercurial Russian Giant will come back?

The 94 team would have kicked the 2011 teeth in and rag dolled Marchand and co.  They had Jam.  So did the Naslund teams with Brashear, Jovo, Ohlund, Bertuzzi etc.  

Don't see much jam in our future.

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Of course she would, as a goalie who played a pre season game I’m sure she’d love to say hi to the first female player to play Defense or forward in the league. 

You never said first female player to play defense or forward.  You said first female to play professional hockey.

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Yes I have been crying out for Biega's reinstatement ever since he was dropped.

People see his hits and speed but I also see his infectious enthusiasm, a vastly underrated quality he has in spades. He gets the players around him "going" We must be some team if we can afford to have a guy like that sit in the press box.

When he's on the ice there are seldom any f----- mexican waves. (which piss me off)

I watched his teammates reactions on the bench towards him all night last night , and it was crazy obvious that they really like him. He was patted on the back and fist bumped more then everyone else combined. He totally brings energy to the team. 

On 2017-12-15 at 2:10 AM, alfstonker said:

Sorry but to compare the Pens push back to this team is imo misguided. Soft teams don't win Cups. The Pens reacted in a pack which often is enough. They stood up to the Preds and they were no pushover.

Crosby and Malkin Bonino, Cullen don't let themselves be pushed around. Kessel is a firebrand who may not fight but he certainly won't be pushed around either. Similarly in defence they had some big bodies who would push back. Guys like Cole, Daily, Maatta, Schultz and Dumoulin.

What you see is actually toughness in the top two lines. However because the Pens don't want Crosby and Malkin getting into scraps and risking injury they have now acquired Reaves.

Where did you read anywhere in what I said that I compared the pens to us at this stage? We aren't even a playoff team now, let alone a contender obviously we are still missing key pieces that we will aquire over FA, the draft and by trade. I am just excited to see the wealth of talent and take heart knowing that eventually toughness will come along with proper drafting as well we can trade for a piece that we may need. I am not worried one bit about team toughness yet. That's a discussion for at the earliest next trade deadline. 

Like I said, Pittsburgh does have team toughness like I said. Their top 6 aren't a bunch of head hunters or big hitters but they hold their own with aggressive forechecking and tenacity. I expect Bo and Brock both to be able to hold their own, and definitely we will have to add a top 6 player who is skilled but has some grit such as a Kesleresque player. 

16 hours ago, WestCoast5347 said:

Where did you read anywhere in what I said that I compared the pens to us at this stage? We aren't even a playoff team now, let alone a contender obviously we are still missing key pieces that we will aquire over FA, the draft and by trade. I am just excited to see the wealth of talent and take heart knowing that eventually toughness will come along with proper drafting as well we can trade for a piece that we may need. I am not worried one bit about team toughness yet. That's a discussion for at the earliest next trade deadline. 

Like I said, Pittsburgh does have team toughness like I said. Their top 6 aren't a bunch of head hunters or big hitters but they hold their own with aggressive forechecking and tenacity. I expect Bo and Brock both to be able to hold their own, and definitely we will have to add a top 6 player who is skilled but has some grit such as a Kesleresque player. 

"Sure there's no Lucic, Chara and Marchand in there, but look at Pittsburg. Team toughness and having an effective 4th line is what they've needed. I think Bo, Gaudette, Virtanen, Gadjovich (Tryamkin possibly) all have that element of size and aggressiveness.'

Sorry but when viewed in context that looks like a comparison. You are not required to say the Canucks are as good as the Pens to make a comparison  - just to make a comparison.

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

"Sure there's no Lucic, Chara and Marchand in there, but look at Pittsburg. Team toughness and having an effective 4th line is what they've needed. I think Bo, Gaudette, Virtanen, Gadjovich (Tryamkin possibly) all have that element of size and aggressiveness.'

Sorry but when viewed in context that looks like a comparison. You are not required to say the Canucks are as good as the Pens to make a comparison  - just to make a comparison.

Pittsburg isn't doing too well right now, with a more physical team this year than last.  That's all I need to say about wanting more "jam" compared to more scoring.

On 12/14/2017 at 11:52 AM, captaincowbasher said:

I know this comment is coming off a complete drubbing, and it feels like I'm piling on, but I've been posting this for a number of years. The Canucks must shed themselves of the Sedin's and Edler ASAP, as they are slow, ineffective, and have zero JAM- in fact I would go as far as saying they actually create a negative JAM effect around them. They are way to passive and disinterested in the intimidation piece of hockey, of which this piece when applied against them reduces their game even more. The Canucks have not been a good team since Kesler (Mr. JAM). We all remember the team line that the Sedins would preach, "well intimidated them, or make them pay for being aggressive with us on the power play...", not so effective anymore. If we cant deal them, I pray we don't resign them. This team needs to get Big, fast,talented, and mean. Otherwise it will continue to spiral in irrelevance, and I for one feel the fans of this city deserve better.

Why is it on the Sedins to bring this "jam"? There are 10 more forwards in the line-up that could bring that. The Sedins were always the most skilled & the hardest working guys on there teams, winning scoring titles putting up hall of fame numbers. How many of the other 10 forwards could bring that. None.

You said it yourself that after Kesler left that spot wasn't filled properly. How is this the Sedins fault? Also losing Dorsett, Tryamkin, Torres, Rome, Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa, Kesler, etc. over the years & replacing them with (no knock on these guys what so ever), Stecher, Hutton, Baertschi, Gagne, Eriksson, Del Zotto, Larsson, Vrbata, etc. did,'t help our overall Team's "JAM".

This is a management problem not 2 hall of fame'rs aged 37 to bring it.  Why not ask Gaunce to get 80 points a year?  

Sedins do & are continuing to do what they're best at & that's put up points & lead by example on & Off the ice.

No player can bring it all, but the Sedins bring a hell of a lot more than most NHL players.

If we actually had Gubranson, Dorsett, Tryamkin, Bieksa, Gadjovich, MacEwan, maybe a Lucic, Maroon, Kane? etc. in the line-up this would never be a topic.

Management problem not Sedins.

Maybe management has already addressed this problem in the future? Gadjovich, Lockwood, Tryamkin, Gaudette, Virtanen, Gubranson, etc.

9 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

Detroit Red Wings had no Jam they just had a Wizard.

Did you actually check that before posting. How do you think their skill players were able to play?

1997-98

Go google Kocur, McCarty, Shanahan, Rouse, Mirinov, Konstantinov, Ward, Macoun

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/12/28/detroit-red-wings-1996-97-stanley-cup/95937284/

2000-01

That team had Shanahan, Chelios, McCarty and there were a few others who were no pushovers.

2007-08

That team had Lilja, Chelios, Kronwall, Downey and Drake, Maltby, Holmstrom were no soft touches either.

I would say despite all their skill Detroit SC winning teams have been tougher than the recent Pens who were not as soft as some seem to think. Even their goalie Osgood liked a good scrap.

Archived