The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck's Top 10 Prospects

SedinBros

My take, Top 10 Prospects (not on the Canucks)

1. ________ - ________ - ________

2. Dahlen - Pettersson - Lind

3. Gadjovich - Gaudette - ________

4. ________ - ________ - Lockwood

1. ________ - ________

2. Juolevi - ________

3. Brisebois - Chatfield

1. Demko

I don't really consider Boeser, Goldobin and Virtanen to be prospects anymore.

1) Pettersson: 1st line, offensive forward

2) Demko: 1A starter 

3) Juolevi: Top-4, 2-way defenseman

4) Gaudette: Middle-6, 2-way center

5) Dahlen: Middle-6, offensive winger

6) Lind: Middle-6, offensive winger 

7) Gadjovich: Bottom-6, physical winger

8) Brisebois: Top-6, 2-way defenseman

9) Lockwood: Bottom-6, physical winger

10) McEneny: Top-6, defensive defenseman

*Tryamkin: Top-4, defensive defenseman

*Goldobin: Top-6, offensive winger

Note - I don't count Tryamkin or Goldobin as "prospects" because they've had long stretches in the NHL. Going to make my list soley based around players who have yet to make their NHL debut in a meaningful way.

1 - Pettersson

2 - Demko

3 - Juolevi

4 - Gaudette

5 - Lind

6 - Dahlen

7 - Gadjovich

8 - McEneny (he's going to be an NHLer next year, that's my gut feeling. Yes, he played 1 NHL game last year).

9 -  MacEwen

10 -  Carcone

Honorable Mentions - Lockwood (injury history scares me), Chatfield (stellar preseason, okay AHL season, I believe he'll get leaps and bounds better next year), Brisebois (he's overhyped internally), Palmu (size could be an issue but he's built like a tank, hard not to root for him, excited to see him in the AHL next year), Brassard (I have confidence he can develop into something, even as a 7th rounder) and DiPetrio (Utica is his when Demko makes the leap to the NHL, obviously).

Things to note -- Woah, would this list have been hard to make a few years ago. Prospect pool has grown tremendously. Gotta recognize that. Benning's killing it here.

Not a ton of great defensive prospects in the pipelines. Definitely a system need. Canucks can hopefully add to that pool in the next draft or two. I have faith. Same with goaltending. Demko & DiPetrio are it. Canucks should look to grab a goalie, especially with Demko looking NHL bound as soon as next year.

13 hours ago, magicman12 said:

Lol kinda like the rangers but 10x bigger.

We will be lucky to see Petterson, Gaudette and Demko make the team. The rest will be on the farm learning to play the right way, on a farm team that struggles to be average.

I wouldnt call a farm team that got a point in 14 or however many games straight average. 

On 3/1/2018 at 2:12 AM, magicman12 said:

We will be lucky to see Petterson, Gaudette and Demko make the team. The rest will be on the farm learning to play the right way, on a farm team that struggles to be average.

You don't think EP, Gaudette and Demko will not all make the NHL?

Utica is doing very well this year - above .600 and Canucks have yanked their top players away on numerous occasions and traded away their top Dman but Cull is doing an amazing job with that team.   Do you actually follow them or just like to assume they are not doing well?

25 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Utica is doing very well this year - above .600 and Canucks have yanked their top players away on numerous occasions and traded away their top Dman but Cull is doing an amazing job with that team.   Do you actually follow them or just like to assume they are not doing well?

I'm assuming he meant next year.  Will need to wait until camp to have a better idea (particularly with EP and Gaudette).  Demko we'll know once the off season is done.  If Markstrom and Nilsson are still around I'd put my betting money on him starting the season in Utica as it sounds like progressing very nicely but still developing little blips out of his game.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I'm assuming he meant next year.  Will need to wait until camp to have a better idea (particularly with EP and Gaudette).  Demko we'll know once the off season is done.  If Markstrom and Nilsson are still around I'd put my betting money on him starting the season in Utica as it sounds like progressing very nicely but still developing little blips out of his game.

That all makes sense but given his two total posts I am not sure that is what he/she/it meant.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Speaking of obtuse. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That all makes sense but given his two total posts I am not sure that is what he/she/it meant.

I'm sorry, but why do you feel the need to dispute posts months after they were posted? I always see you dregg up other people's old posts just so you can toot your own horn stating that they were 'obviously' wrong. It irks me to no end when people resurrect old posts just so they can boast at a time when the context is more convenient to bring it up...That's not an argument or rebuttal. That's lazily picking your battles so you can look better by design.

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Was saying those 3 have the best chance to make the team next season. As a fan I hope this happens. Yes Cull (Demko) has been doing a great job getting this team on a roll ( credit due). Before this stretch its been a long time since this team was good. 

1 hour ago, Steve23 said:

I'm sorry, but why do you feel the need to dispute posts months after they were posted? I always see you dregg up other people's old posts just so you can toot your own horn stating that they were 'obviously' wrong. It irks me to no end when people resurrect old posts just so they can boast at a time when the context is more convenient to bring it up...That's not an argument or rebuttal. That's lazily picking your battles so you can look better by design.

I never look at dates - only threads.   If you are hung up on the past that is your issue.

1 hour ago, Steve23 said:

Oh, and for the record, I just checked and the post I was responding to was 6 hours old.    You been drinking?

• 2 weeks later...

1. Elias Pettersson (Our future 1st Line C)

2. Thatcher Demko (Our future starting Goalie)

3. Adam Gaudette (Dominant NCAA career followed by being our future Top 6)

4. Kole Lind (Our future Top 6) 

Now it gets a little tricky. 

5. Olli Juolevi (Our future Top pairing D)

6. Nikolay Goldobin (Time is winding down for our "potential" Top 6) 

7. Jonathan Dahlen (Our future Top6)

8. Jonah Gadjovich (Our future Top 9)

9. Michael Dipietro (Our future starting Goalie)

10. William Lockwood (Our future Bottom 6 - could be our next Honey Badger)

Honorable mentions:

Briesbois, Chatfield, MacEwan, Cassels

On 12/15/2017 at 6:15 PM, JamesBlondage said:

This is great. You can argue to substitute different guys into different slots on the list and add a few from the honourable mentions into the top 10 but no matter what....the future looks damn brighter than I can ever remember, and my memory goes back to guys like Tony Tanti (drafted by Chicago, I know) and Petri Skriko. And never have we had such an incredibly deep looking prospect pool...

1. Elias Pettersson

2. Olli Juoveli 

3. Thatcher Demko

4. Jonathan Dahlen   

5. Adam Gaudette   

6. Kole Lind

7. Jonah Gadjovich  

8. William Lockwood

9. Michael DiPietro  

10. Jalen Chatfield  

honorable mentions to Guillaume Brisebois, Petrus Palmu and Zack MacEwan

Trevor will build this team the proper and right way. F@$% the naysayers and Pooplords who crap on this management group.

IN BENNING WE TRUST, WE ARE BUILDING THROUGH THE DRAFT!!

I too go back to those days, the only other time that I have felt 1/2 of this optimism was when we drafted Trevor, Nedved, Slegr, and Bure in a short time frame. Trevor and Bure became GREAT players, Nedved was serviceable, and Slegr, meh, but there was some excitement there. Then the Sedins, they took some time, but now it seems like Benning is finding multiple somethings worthwhile out of every draft...

I love Pat Quinn and Brian Burke for bringing self respect to this franchise, we were lost before them in a sea of despair, these last few years of losing is nothing compared to the dark days before Quinn. And yet Quinn did not revamp the draft system, the building block of the franchise.

I get upset at various media outlets in this city. Some are mean hearted and I hate them for it. TSN DonkeyHats and Canuck"Nation" wannabee General "Fan"agers poop on GMJB, degrading themselves even to the point of giving airtime to an impersonator mocking the way Benning talks and inferring that he is a dimwit, think about that for a second, they mock a good man who has revamped our drafting system, and who was given a team of NTC's, NMC's and who uncovers young and upcoming talent for us and they "extol" the "virtue's" of Gilman who was part and parcel of giving away those contracts and who did F@#$% all to draft anything much other than Bo Horvat then he gets to come on TSN and second guess the new management every week. Thanks TSN.

image.png.9e8bf6637b54fd6850100a53532483da.png

I like this team, I like our direction, I like where we are heading, I like the players we put on our team. We only have players with character on our team. There are no prima-donna's, no whiners, no me-first's that stick out. I do not necessarily want Gagner, Dowd, MDZ, on this team but the kids NEED a buffer.  I definitely do not want the kids to be gifted a spot and I do not want the kids to be over-overwhelmed. How they developed Virtanen is awesome, they are dedicated to bringing the kids in properly. anyways..

Enjoy:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospects-tracker-week-of-march-12

• 4 weeks later...

Updated list now that the season is over:

3) Juolevi: Top-4, 2 way defenseman

4) Dahlen: Middle-6, offensive winger

5) Gaudette: Middle-6, 2 way center

7) Gadjovich: Bottom-6, physical forward

8) Brisebois: Top-6, defensive defenseman

9) Jasek: Bottom-6, energy winger

10) DiPietro: 2A backup

HM: Brassard, Lockwood, Palmu

Our 2018 1st rounder should be able to slot in behind Pettersson and ahead of Demko. Our 2nd rounder could be pretty much anywhere behind Juolevi. 

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Updated list now that the season is over:

3) Juolevi: Top-4, 2 way defenseman

4) Dahlen: Middle-6, offensive winger

5) Gaudette: Middle-6, 2 way center

7) Gadjovich: Bottom-6, physical forward

8) Brisebois: Top-6, defensive defenseman

9) Jasek: Bottom-6, energy winger

10) DiPietro: 2A backup

HM: Brassard, Lockwood, Palmu

Our 2018 1st rounder should be able to slot in behind Pettersson and ahead of Demko. Our 2nd rounder could be pretty much anywhere behind Juolevi. 

Crazy how deep our prospect pool is when you have good prospects like Lockwood, Palmu, MacEwen, Chatfield, Brassard and Rathbone not even in the top ten. 

If you looks at our 23 and under players in the NHL the future doesn't look so bright

Bo

Boeser

Virtanen

Goldy

Leipsic

But then you add in the guys that are close to making the jump to the NHL

Pettersson

Juolevi

Dahlen

Demko

Gaudette

MacEwen

Sautner

McEneny

Motte

and you really get excited! But wait, theres more! You add in good prospects that need more time  

Lind 

Gadjovich

Brisebois

Chatfield

Rathbone

Palmu

Jasek

DiPietro

Lockwood

Brassard

And you just cant help but :) 

Heres hoping we get a few good quality defensemen this draft

15 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Crazy how deep our prospect pool is when you have good prospects like Lockwood, Palmu, MacEwen, Chatfield, Brassard and Rathbone not even in the top ten. 

If you looks at our 23 and under players in the NHL the future doesn't look so bright

Bo

Boeser

Virtanen

Goldy

Leipsic

But then you add in the guys that are close to making the jump to the NHL

Pettersson

Juolevi

Dahlen

Demko

Gaudette

MacEwen

Sautner

McEneny

Motte

and you really get excited! But wait, theres more! You add in good prospects that need more time  

Lind 

Gadjovich

Brisebois

Chatfield

Rathbone

Palmu

Jasek

DiPietro

Lockwood

Brassard

And you just cant help but :) 

Heres hoping we get a few good quality defensemen this draft

That's 24 players you listed...or a complete team plus one guy...5 guys are already here but the rest are going to get a shot at it soon and I can only pick out 4 or 5 guys that may not make it, the rest are locks or big surprises if they don't at least play a season or two in the NHL.

Archived