The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

The first 10 minutes of the game was probably the best 10 minutes the Canucks have played all year. San Jose came back after that but the Canucks continued to play well for the entire game.

As the above quotes indicate, the Sedins were excellent -- just like 2011. They were unlucky to be held to only three points each. The could each have potted a goal or two as well. It is amazing how their quality of play can vary from game to game.  As for Edler, he has had some other very good games this season, but he was very good in this game. Boeser continues to play remarkably well. He also could easily have had more than a single goal tonight. In fact, he made good plays on both the other regulation goals as well. Has to be the front runner for the Calder at this stage.

And Biega was a big story. Can't ask for more effort. This seems like a good time to repeat something many people (including me) have suggested numerous times. When we have enough healthy D's, why not play Biega on the 4th line. His energy alone would be a big plus.

But, in the interest of being objective, there were some negatives. Virtanen did not have a good night. He was not credited with any hits and I saw several times when he did not seem to be skating hard. He made a couple of nice rushes, but only one turned into a shot on goal. Not surprisingly, his minutes were on the low side tonight.  I also continue to be underwhelmed by Dowd and Burmistrov. Gaunce played well defensively again, but how long will be it before he gets on the scoreboard.

What I find a bit surprising is Stecher's low minutes (13:53) -- lowest on the D. Green does not seem to be a big Stecher fan. Stecher looked okay to me, but I guess he is not playing with as much confidence as we might like.

I think that, in general, the team put in a big effort tonight. It might be hard to sustain so we should take as much enjoyment as possible from this game.

Much as it was wonderful to see some offence out of the Sedins again, sadly, it wasn't vintage.  In their heyday, not only did they kill on the attack, but they didn't give the other team very much either.  Now, the hands and feet have slowed, and they give up pucks and breaks the other way much, much more.  But still, they have the odd night still like this one, and they reclaimed the number one line role most happily when injuries made us look really bad.  Can they finish the year like this, and is there another year in them as second line guys, to break in Pettersson and Dahlen?  A lot of guys, like Dorset, retire because they get badly hurt, and I really don't want that for the Sedins.  I want them to go out still healthy and without the pain that a lot of players retire with.  But, maybe one more year?

45 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This is a playoff team with Tanev, Baertschi and Horvat for sure. Give credit to Green, took him 3 games to adjust to injuries and now we somehow beat one of tge best teams in the league.

I'm sure he did contribute. 

A bigger factor I think is that the vets all showed up and made a difference. Even the good Edler showed up.     

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Much as it was wonderful to see some offence out of the Sedins again, sadly, it wasn't vintage.  In their heyday, not only did they kill on the attack, but they didn't give the other team very much either.  Now, the hands and feet have slowed, and they give up pucks and breaks the other way much, much more.  But still, they have the odd night still like this one, and they reclaimed the number one line role most happily when injuries made us look really bad.  Can they finish the year like this, and is there another year in them as second line guys, to break in Pettersson and Dahlen?  A lot of guys, like Dorset, retire because they get badly hurt, and I really don't want that for the Sedins.  I want them to go out still healthy and without the pain that a lot of players retire with.  But, maybe one more year?

Totally agree. The poster you replied to obviously stopped watching when they "trundled" into their own defensive zone. I don't ever want to see 2 Sedins on the ice in a 3 on 3 again and I never want to see one Sedin at the opposition blue line when we are attacking on a PP, my nerves can't stand it.

Having said that this game was one of the best for all number of reasons I have seen the Canucks play in the rebuild era (3.5 years?) 

The difference from the Preds game was like chalk and cheese. You can't put it down to one man - so I will put it down to 6 men.

Beiga - Jeez this guy should never have been in the AHL for so long. For me he is the epitome of a "playoff player" To play a game like that in his first game back was nothing short of sensational. As I have said previously, his energy and compete is like an infectious disease. WTF do they feed him before he steps on the ice - raw meat? You could see his enthusiasm spreading through the D and ultimately the whole team. He will be a brilliant role model for Stech too. Please no more press box for this guy, it is insulting.

Edler - He was everything his detractors say he isn't and a giant in defence and attack. 

Boeser - We are never out of a game when this guy is on the ice. He guarantees (hopefully) Canucks fans years of almost Stamkos-like scoring bliss.

Markstrom - What can I say, he let in 3 goals but he was exceptional all the same.

Gaunce - It's almost sacrilege to nominate a guy who can't buy a goal in this league but he is just so effective (and becoming more by every game) at what he does and how he compliments his line mates, no matter who they are. 

Pouliot - I am beginning to change my mind on Pouliot. For a while I was convinced he flattered to deceive and too often put team mates in trouble but his effort was sparkling and almost faultless. There is no denying his talent and I hope this is going to be the brand of classy hockey he will serve up consistently.

Don't get me wrong you can't play a game like that with only 6 standout players. Granny, the Sedins in the opposition end, Dowd Burmistrov, Hutton, MDZ and even Gagner played exceptionally well. Jake, Stech, Vanek, Goldy and even Dowd had their moments and were pretty solid.

5 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Biega plays better when he does not play a lot, so for me have in in for 2 games at most and sit for a game.

Great game by us and I agree the sharks did not deserve the point but least we won and we deserved it

Maybe you want to back up a fantasy statement like that. Unless you want to include 2/3 of the roster. Beiga NEVER gives less than 100% and I challenge you to prove otherwise. If he is fit, he plays like a lion.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This is a playoff team with Tanev, Baertschi and Horvat for sure. Give credit to Green, took him 3 games to adjust to injuries and now we somehow beat one of tge best teams in the league.

No it isn't. 

We had a great result and put on a masterclass in effort and compete but we are a long way from a team that could win against Western physical teams in a best of 7 contest. Have you forgotten the Pred game already?

52 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Maybe you want to back up a fantasy statement like that. Unless you want to include 2/3 of the roster. Beiga NEVER gives less than 100% and I challenge you to prove otherwise. If he is fit, he plays like a lion.

Green said it in the post-game.

8 hours ago, CaptainKool said:

Ok im glad that we won. What a night of sedinary. But WTF Green, why no give Virtanen a chance.

Well maybe Green isn't aware he is one of your favourites and prefers to play the guys who look like they are playing well - which would not include Jake. You should count your blessings, Green might have dropped him by now if we had had a fit roster.

Jake needs to realise two things imo. Firstly he should be trying to make a difference ALL the time he is on the ice, if he needs a role model he only needs to look at his line mate Gaunce. Secondly, while it's great to see him barreling down the ice he needs to get his head up more and look for an outlet pass that will have a greater chance of leading to a goal - Less Booth and more Mason Raymond.

24 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Well maybe Green isn't aware he is one of your favourites and prefers to play the guys who look like they are playing well - which would not include Jake. You should count your blessings, Green might have dropped him by now if we had had a fit roster.

Jake needs to realise two things imo. Firstly he should be trying to make a difference ALL the time he is on the ice, if he needs a role model he only needs to look at his line mate Gaunce. Secondly, while it's great to see him barreling down the ice he needs to get his head up more and look for an outlet pass that will have a greater chance of leading to a goal - Less Booth and more Mason Raymond.

I also think Jake should watch some Biega video

The Sedin play at 1 minute left in OT when they came in 2 on 3, made passes amongst themselves, and set up up Daniel with the open shot was pure hockey beauty and that was at the tail end on a long shift 

amazing skill and fitness remains at 37 years old 

if someone has a vid of that play please post it. I saw it on the “Provies” and watched it over and over....you need to just to appreciate the beauty and precision only the play

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Totally agree. I've been calling for him to get back in the line up for weeks. I'm simply not sold that Stetch and Hutton should be ahead of him on the depth chart. I sometimes feel he gets a bum rap for being a part of the Wiilly show over the past couple seasons even though sometimes Willy himself gets a bad rap for the lack of talent he had at his disposal.

He defends

He boxes out

He hits like a tank

Loves to rush the puck

One of our better point men

More games for Bulldog please.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Totally agree. The poster you replied to obviously stopped watching when they "trundled" into their own defensive zone. I don't ever want to see 2 Sedins on the ice in a 3 on 3 again and I never want to see one Sedin at the opposition blue line when we are attacking on a PP, my nerves can't stand it.

Having said that this game was one of the best for all number of reasons I have seen the Canucks play in the rebuild era (3.5 years?) 

The difference from the Preds game was like chalk and cheese. You can't put it down to one man - so I will put it down to 6 men.

Beiga - Jeez this guy should never have been in the AHL for so long. For me he is the epitome of a "playoff player" To play a game like that in his first game back was nothing short of sensational. As I have said previously, his energy and compete is like an infectious disease. WTF do they feed him before he steps on the ice - raw meat? You could see his enthusiasm spreading through the D and ultimately the whole team. He will be a brilliant role model for Stech too. Please no more press box for this guy, it is insulting.

Edler - He was everything his detractors say he isn't and a giant in defence and attack. 

Boeser - We are never out of a game when this guy is on the ice. He guarantees (hopefully) Canucks fans years of almost Stamkos-like scoring bliss.

Markstrom - What can I say, he let in 3 goals but he was exceptional all the same.

Gaunce - It's almost sacrilege to nominate a guy who can't buy a goal in this league but he is just so effective (and becoming more by every game) at what he does and how he compliments his line mates, no matter who they are. 

Pouliot - I am beginning to change my mind on Pouliot. For a while I was convinced he flattered to deceive and too often put team mates in trouble but his effort was sparkling and almost faultless. There is no denying his talent and I hope this is going to be the brand of classy hockey he will serve up consistently.

Don't get me wrong you can't play a game like that with only 6 standout players. Granny, the Sedins in the opposition end, Dowd Burmistrov, Hutton, MDZ and even Gagner played exceptionally well. Jake, Stech, Vanek, Goldy and even Dowd had their moments and were pretty solid.

He slams the Sedins first then gives credit to the rest of the team

are you serious? What game did you watch?

53 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

yeah cause there so many better options than driving the puck to the net, especially with Guance on your line he's a real game changer.

After watching the Sedins performance last night I realized just how much Willie’s poor coaching cost them 

wasted 3 good years of their career under his “system” 

no surprise this is now a “bounce back” year. You only have to look as far as the coach 

Hank with 16 points in his last 17 games 

Archived