The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goaltending, moving forward

Ghostsof1915

Markstrom and Nilsson are signed to Spring 2019. Demko is signed to the same period. However Bachman, who is having a brutal year is a UFA at the end of the season.

Do the Canucks do the easy thing, sign DiPietro in the offseason and he backs up Demko? Do the Canucks trade either Nilsson or Markstrom in the offseason, bring up Demko, and 

sign a UFA goalie to Utica? Does everything rely on training camp next year to see how Demko and DiPietro fare? 

Thoughts? 

run with Marky and Nilsson though to the end of next season. Sign DiPietro and he can back up Demko next year. Bachman isn't needed after this year. If one of Marky or Nilsson are injured or simply sucking then thats Demko's chance to make his debut. I think we're set up quite well. 

10 minutes ago, mll said:

DiPietro cannot play in the AHL next season.  He was drafted out of the CHL and wouldn't be eligible yet re his age.

well that is important information

but bachman has been very good until this season

and contributed a lot as a mentor to demko's development

so maybe just keep him for another season playing only a few games

and get demko to shoulder a lot of games next season so he is ready to step into the nhl the following season

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Markstrom and Nilsson are signed to Spring 2019. Demko is signed to the same period. However Bachman, who is having a brutal year is a UFA at the end of the season.

Do the Canucks do the easy thing, sign DiPietro in the offseason and he backs up Demko? Do the Canucks trade either Nilsson or Markstrom in the offseason, bring up Demko, and 

sign a UFA goalie to Utica? Does everything rely on training camp next year to see how Demko and DiPietro fare? 

Thoughts? 

Comets as a team are pretty brutal.  To a prospect as good as Demko - it won't hinder him tooo much.  However, you aren't always going to draft goalie prospects as good as Demko.  Management has to attempt to stock the AHL club a bit better (if nothing else, to help provide better depth for the parent club in terms of callups).

Markstrom nillson demko gartig depietro 

i think demko will be in the nhl next season Gartig will be the comets starter if Dep can’t play in the A he’ll be in jr again.

One of nillson or markstrom wil be moved to make room for demko. 

Thats my take on the goaltending moving forward.

39 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

we still have garteig too. he could be demko back up in uttica. 

he's in the ECHL, but do we still have his rights? He was a UFA after the 2016/17 season and he's not listed on our 50 man roster 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he's in the ECHL, but do we still have his rights? He was a UFA after the 2016/17 season and he's not listed on our 50 man roster 

Canucks let him go to UFA by not qualifying him.  They signed him to a one year AHL contract.

1 minute ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Everybody just stop with the "moving forward" thing. It's so stupid. You don't sound smarter or more intellectual when you say it. 

So “moving forward” we shouldn’t  use “moving forward”? What about “looking back “

3 minutes ago, combover said:

So “moving forward” we shouldn’t  use “moving forward”? What about “looking back “

Or "going forward". I know I'm coming off like a curmudgeon but it just kills me. Where else will anything go?  Of course it's going forward. Does it need to be added on to every sentence I hear on the radio?  I say no. 

6 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Or "going forward". I know I'm coming off like a curmudgeon but it just kills me. Where else will anything go?  Of course it's going forward. Does it need to be added on to every sentence I hear on the radio?  I say no. 

Lol. Yeah it’s funny how one thing can drive someone nuts.......

However now knowing that “moving forward” is your kryptonite  I feel obligated to use it more “moving forward”.lol

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Thanks for that, so he can't play in the AHL until he's 20? 

20, or if they have played in 4 CHL seasons!

Quite a few have birthdays in months where they are still 19 at the end of their 4th season. And the small few who actually start CHL careers at 15.

Archived