The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can the Canucks still compete for a playoff spot ?

falcons

With all of the injuries this year it will be a real test for coach green , vet players and the youth on this team to stay in the playoff hunt. If this team can continue to gets wins you have to tip your hat to coach green as he has the gift of getting the most out of his players .  If not let’s focus on developing our young guys for the rest of the season  and hopefully get lucky in the draft. In 2 years this team will be awesome ! 

I honestly hope not.... I would hate for this team to be 4-6 points out at the TDL and have the management make a trade to try to make it.  We have a lot of talent coming but still need a couple solid D and more prospect depth.  One more good year of being sellers at the TDL and another high first and second is EXACTLY what this team needs 

Not that I can see. As soon as Horvat went down for 4-6 weeks, our chances became slim. They were already fairly slim with a healthy roster, but possible. Without Horvat, it became very difficult. Without Baertschi and Tanev, next to impossible.

we're 3 points out of a wildcard, so yeah, its still possible. Last night wasn't all luck, in fact the way the whistles were put away I'd say we played very well against a team we shouldn't have been able to beat, so who the hell knows with this team?

My worry is Sutter is in much worse shape that they're letting on, not sure its worth burning some of the future to try to replace that for this year. 

No. We are way too inconsistent! Without Boeser what would we be tbh, as nice as the Sedins played against the Sharks they are inconsistent too and can't be relied on to win us games. Edler cant be relied on and Tanev is getting injured a lot. We lack a top 4 in all honesty we have a couple #2/3 dman, a bunch of 4s and 5s. Markstrom and Nilson have played great up until December, but we lack a true starting goalie and without Sutter and Horvat we are effed for faceoffs.

I still believe in the future and think we are playoff contenders in 3 years if all things work out and cup contenders in 5 to 6.

I don't think so, I thought our odds weren't that great to begin with and would require us staying mostly healthy for the duration of the season. Last night was great, but I'm not expecting us to keep our heads above water for too long with all these injuries piling up.

8 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

if all things work out and cup contenders in 5 to 6.

Just to point out...  That's a total of 10 years worth of extremely high draft-picks before we actually turn things around!  And, everyone here loves Benning and thinks he's doing such a wonderful job!  10 years!  A 'lost-decade'.  The average NHL-career is 5.7 seasons!

It's fully possible! I would say if the kids can step up Goldy, Virtanen, Granlund, Stetcher, Pouliot, Hutton maybe we get Gud back soon and drag this skeleton crew into a playoff spot. It would be great for the team and I could see JB not trading ufas and spinning a prospect or 2 for a ready now young player to be part of the future and take a kick at the playoffs. 

However this is incredibly wishful thinking it's highly unlikely that this group will be able to keep it together until Feb. Dark times ahead. Never the less Ill bask in the glow of their victory last night until Sunday. 

2 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Let's be realistic here. In a perfect world where the Canucks weren't screwed by the injury bug, yes.  This isn't a perfect world.....no. Let me ad to this.....I can see Benning being a dumbass and holding on to Guddy and Vanek in the hopes he can get wiped out in the first round. 

Trading Guddy? 

Man, the level of thinly veiled pro tanking here is reprehensible.

This team if they play together as a team can weather this storm of injury. My expectation going into this month with a healthy roster was to be about 2 games above 0.500 heading into the new year.

Now that we've suffered a rash of injuries, the Canucks are 3 and 4, with 6 games remaining against CGY, MTL, SJS, STL, CHI and LAK. The Calgary and Montreal games are very much winnable, if they bring it like they did against San Jose the other night, that's a winnable game as well. St Louis will be a tough opponent, as will Chicago and LA.

If the Canucks can go at LEAST 3-2-1 in the rest of this month, as they get healthy bodies back, I can absolutely see them going on a bit of a tear in January and into the deadline in February.

All in all, the Canucks are 3-4 points out of a wild card spot, with many of the upcoming games against opponents they are in direct competition with either for a divisional spot, or a wild card spot. A lot of other things can happen to other teams, but all the Canucks can do is attend to the details of their game, not worry about the injuries and to each man play a good hard game and anything can happen.

Green has these guys playing well in a system, I think what we've seen is a couple of stumbles by a team that's been depleted of its depth, but bounced back in a big way against the Sharks.

Go throw in the towel if you want, but the nice thing about this league and the parity that has been created, anyone has a shot any given night to win. Look at how the Canucks have shut down McDavid, Ovechkin, Matthews, etc. Winnipeg and Nashville notwithstanding, the team usually gets up for tough opponents, so I'm glad that they are facing a whole lot of them here in the near future. It's going to be a great litmus test, and if the canucks can get out of December with a 6-6-1 record in spite of the injuries, it's going to give them a good chance to continue to fight for a playoff spot.

Management needs to do their part, and stay the course. If a deal makes sense make it, but I suspect they will not make many moves to bring in veterans on D or F, and may actually look to deal someone like Gudbranson in exchange for a piece that can help now and in the future, likely up front. The team doesn't need "another year of high picks and accumulation of draft picks and prospects". The team needs forward progression, and challenging for a wild card playoff spot is the next checkpoint. Whether they make it or not is immaterial, the fight and the drive is all that matters.

If the team falls short and ends up 9th or 10th I'll be just as happy as if they make it and are bounced in the first round. It's something to build from, and next year is going to be even better with the potential additions of Gaudette, Juolevi, Pettersson and Dahlen (not Dahlin, we're not getting 1OA). We should also see Demko be ready for spot duty in a call up capacity next year as well.

If the team is legitimately bad, then they are bad on their own merit, but to simply give in the towel and focus on losing is regression, and you (whoever you are) that thinks this way should be ashamed of yourself.

/rant

Edit: I'm off to go watch Star Wars.

If we can play decent hockey till Horvat comes back, we will have a chance. With Horvat in the lineup, we are a decent team capable of beating any team on any night. If we are 5 points out when he comes back, I think we make it tbh. He is SO important to the team.

Archived