The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seeing the bright side, and why you should too...

canuckleface77

Been a Canucks fan for 40 years...seen a lot through the years, however I've NEVER seen a team set up for future success like this one, and it's getting better by the day.

Are injuries every good? Nope.  I don't like seeing players go down, it was hard watching BB slide to the bench yesterday, felt bad for the kid.  But he will heal, he's young, in great shape, he'll work hard and come back better.

But I'm a realist here, and I want to win the Cup, I sat in my basement and watched the Cup runs we have had through the decades and had to live with the loss to Boston....I want more now....and to be honest, with what is in their prospect cupboard, I see this team at taking a run for the cup in 20/21 or 21/22.  Patience grasshopper. 

And I view these injuries very differently than most.  Are they bad? Sure, broken bones are never fun, they require healing time, some players miss games and it could cost awards etc, but were we going anywhere this year? Of course not, and I'm not talking about a first round playoff loss, that's not going anywhere, I'm talking legit shot...so nope, not even close.

So these injuries?  They will heal, and I actually don't mind the young injured guys actually getting rest for their bodies as their other injuries heal.  It's a bright spot to look at...long seasons take their tolls over time on bodies...I consider this rest for some of these guys...they will need it for the Cup runs about to come in future years...that rest gets banked, these injuries will heal and they will come back 100%. Some will be even better.

Furthermore, the injury bug is only putting us in a better position to do 2 obvious things:

-better draft position (yes, fully aware of the lottery) that will help us add a very good player that will help in 3 to 4 years, maybe sooner.

-help JB unload some players at the deadline and beyond as we won't be chasing the playoffs, and it only makes sense...hopefully adding some picks and young guys for the next 3 or 4 years.

Do I love watching playoff hockey with the Canucks...sure...but I'm after more, and so should all of you.  I want a top 3 to 5 pick this year...you add another game-changer to Petterson and the young talent they have in the cupboard...wow.

It is an incredible time to be a fan because we have something we haven't had in a long time. Hope.

Yup, I was sad when Boeser went down because I so badly wanted him to win the calder, but the silver lining is the tank is back on. Plus, with all these injuries the anti tankers can say the team would have done a lot better if healthy, so it's a win win for both sides. The tankers get a high pick, while the anti tankers can use the injury excuse. The canucks have their work cut out for them trying to catch buffalo or Phoenix as they've built up too much of a tank lead, but who knows, maybe we'll get a miraculous 10 game losing streak or something along the way. 

to tank, means to lose on purpose. i wouldn't wouldn't follow a team that set themselves up to lose on purpose. if the team is trying to win but lose, then high draft picks are a reward. constant losing does things to the players. people talk about hope. the players need to have hope too. they need to feel that in every game, they have a chance to win. they need confidence that, they can win. you never want losing to be your mindset. 

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

to tank, means to lose on purpose. i wouldn't wouldn't follow a team that set themselves up to lose on purpose. if the team is trying to win but lose, then high draft picks are a reward. constant losing does things to the players. people talk about hope. the players need to have hope too. they need to feel that in every game, they have a chance to win. they need confidence that, they can win. you never want losing to be your mindset. 

exactly , my hope is for the injured players to heal and get back in the line up , hope for the future goes without saying, we all know the team when heathy is on an upward trend, play to win, and let the cards fall where they may,  take bpa whatever the rank in standing is.

44 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

For the record...I never mentioned tanking.  They are pro's, they play hard regardless. Just offering a positive perspective on what is happening.

34 minutes ago, chon derry said:

take bpa whatever the rank in standing is.

9 times out of 10, this is the way to go.

However, this year, we absolutely HAVE to take a D-man in the 1st round. Heck, I'd support taking a D man with almost every pick this year.

For the first time in years, we have prospect forwards with star potential (Boeser & Pettersson), young players on the team who are already legitimate top-6 forwards (Horvat & Baertschi), and a number of other prospects with top-6 potential (Gaudette, Dahlen, Goldobin, etc.). And Demko-Dipietro is a solid foundation in goal.

But Juolevi is the ONLY D prospect we have with even a hint of top-pairing potential...in fact, he's the only one with even legitimate top-4 potential. We desperately need more.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

However, this year, we absolutely HAVE to take a D-man in the 1st round. Heck, I'd support taking a D man with almost every pick this year.

For the first time in years, we have prospect forwards with star potential (Boeser & Pettersson), young players on the team who are already legitimate top-6 forwards (Horvat & Baertschi), and a number of other prospects with top-6 potential (Gaudette, Dahlen, Goldobin, etc.). And Demko-Dipietro is a solid foundation in goal.

But Juolevi is the ONLY D prospect we have with even a hint of top-pairing potential...in fact, he's the only one with even legitimate top-4 potential. We desperately need more.

Yup. Add a top 4 D guy and PRAY Trymakin comes back.

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

bpa was a hasty response ,but should have said use pick to address what ever the need at that time.

Finishing with a crappy record is no fun for the players, or the fans.  We want our team to WIN.  The players with strong character will get through losing, and work all the harder to be better.  As fans, the draft is our reward for suffering through a brutal season.  We (hopefully) will draft high again in every round, and get us some really good prospects to add to our already nice pool of young players.

Even if we tank to the bottom, I want to see our guys competing and playing hard every night. If our guys finish the season with a losing mentality, any rookies who earn a spot the next season will be coming into a bad environment. I really hope Green can keep pushing the players regardless of how bad we do.

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

You're using the strict definition of 'tank'. Here's another definition that I've seen used by many sportswriters: a team's management assesses that the chances to make this year's playoffs are slim to none (in our case, due to injuries); based on that, management throwing in the towel by sacrificing the current silm-to-none chances by trading assets that are not part of the long-term plan for assets that will be part of the long-term plan (e.g., prospects, more draft picks, greater chance of a higher draft pick, even getting the younger players more playing time). When Burrows and Hansen were traded last year, various writers called that 'tanking'. Based on Henrik's morose response in the locker room after the trades, he definitely agreed that the management just shut down the door to the playoffs even tighter. But look at the haul by the Canucks: Goldobin, Dahlin and one could argue, even Pettersson (remember that the Rangers were rumoured to be interested in him too and were trying to move up in the draft, but the Canucks really wanted him; if Vegas were in that spot, they may have done the trade). As far as I can see, people in this forum still followed the team even after those 2 trades.

I like the way you think OP.  

I will I’ll just add that going from a bottom 5 team in the league to a team that’s a contender takes years of in between time where you are the “team that has no chance of getting past the first round”. 

So at some point we will have to enter this transition period that Team Tank would like to pretend doesn’t exist in the real world.

7 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

You're using the strict definition of 'tank'. Here's another definition that I've seen used by many sportswriters: assessing the chances to make this year's playoffs are slim to none (in our case, due to injuries); based on that, sacrificing the current silm-to-none chances by trading assets that are not part of the long-term plan for assets that will be part of the long-term plan (e.g., prospects, more draft picks, greater chance of a higher draft pick, even getting the younger players more playing time). I'm curious to see how many would be agreeable to that.

We are already missing half of our team. The time to trade is at the deadline, not now.  

If I’m Sven or Granlund im not resigning with a team that will ice a couple of ECHLers on my line.

I've followed the Canucks since the 70's too and I think this team is cursed, everytime something good happens, it gets hammered down by something pretty bad every single time.  After '82 the Canucks basically vanished until 1990, it was hard watching the team through those years but thankfully players like Craig Coxe, Stan Smily and Patrick Sundstrom made it worth a damn to watch throughout those years, and then after the '94 finals, Messier had to come and throw the rhythm off and then after 2011 and 2012, the Canucks suddenly became an AHL team.  I probably won't be alive by the day Canucks actually gets a 1st overall pick.

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

57 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Agree. Think everyone is looking at whats available at D, but still keep an eye on BPA... There are some real interesting players in the top of the draft. 

But yes D is where we have biggest needs.... amazing to think that only beginning of last year we all thought we were set on D... Just goes to show how quickly things change.

2 hours ago, FireGillis said:

Yup, I was sad when Boeser went down because I so badly wanted him to win the calder, but the silver lining is the tank is back on. Plus, with all these injuries the anti tankers can say the team would have done a lot better if healthy, so it's a win win for both sides. The tankers get a high pick, while the anti tankers can use the injury excuse. The canucks have their work cut out for them trying to catch buffalo or Phoenix as they've built up too much of a tank lead, but who knows, maybe we'll get a miraculous 10 game losing streak or something along the way. 

We could've still had the tank and Boeser winning the Calder. Also even if we end up last, somehow we will pick 4th overall. So tanking won't guarantee anything like a 1st overall pick.

21 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

I've followed the Canucks since the 70's too and I think this team is cursed, everytime something good happens, it gets hammered down by something pretty bad every single time.  After '82 the Canucks basically vanished until 1990, it was hard watching the team through those years but thankfully players like Craig Coxe, Stan Smily and Patrick Sundstrom made it worth a damn to watch throughout those years, and then after the '94 finals, Messier had to come and throw the rhythm off and then after 2011 and 2012, the Canucks suddenly became an AHL team.  I probably won't be alive by the day Canucks actually gets a 1st overall pick.

The Canucks can't win the major prizes like 1st overall in the draft or winning the cup. while other franchises seem to have all the luck like the Oilers winning cups in one era then winning 4 1st overall picks in another era and getting McDavid. 

Archived