The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock or Bo ?

erkayloomeh

On 12/19/2017 at 5:26 PM, erkayloomeh said:

So. With each passing day it seems Brock is gaining more popularity in Vancouver ....here on CDC. Seems not that long ago Bo was in those same shoes. 

For me, I would have to say Bo is still an overall better player but Boeser is probably my favorite.

So my question for you today, just to satisfy my own curiosity and to spark some good conversation is, whos your favorite and why??

Not trying to start any controversy by the way as I'm sure we all love them both.

Cheers and thanks.

I find it really hard to assess with a couple players like this, because they're so different and what they contribute is difficult to weigh against the other.

Horvat does so many things well - so strong - has become such a great skater, soild two way player, great faceoff guy, developed the ability to play hard minutes, versatile, good counterpuncher/can score in transition, on the rush, heavy in the hard areaas - brings so much.

But Boeser has an equalizing ability - to finish where it almost seems inevitable that he's going to either get enough chances to score, or make due with whatever he does get, he's that lethal in the scoring areas.  He's also a pretty mindful player all over the ice, so it's not as though he's a liability when he's not in possession - he's actually pretty solid, and consistent, which is part of what has earned him so many minutes so early in his career.  And that part is what makes it really difficult to asses imo, because either of them are also solid in the 'secondary' areas of the game that aren't necessarily their bread and butter.  If Boeser improves his skating in the next few years anywhere near as much as Horvat did....can only imagine how dangerous he'll get.  They both seem driven.

Just don't know how to weigh those things against each other.   A team really has to have both those kinds of players, and on any given night either one of them can the key.

It's hard to compete with putting the puck in the net though, from a viewer's standpoint. 

Hopefully next year there'll be an addition to the question - if Pettersson makes the jump - perhaps even starts at LW on a line with those two - that line could be electric.

On 20/12/2017 at 10:50 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Horvat is like Linden - the face of the franchise, captain material.

Boeser is like Bure - goal-scorer, better offensive player.

I don't really have a favourite, but I'm glad we have both of them on our team.

While I completely agree with you, Boeser's pretty impressive with his play away from the puck. Absolutely a 200ft player. Pretty complete if you ask me. What is scary is that I think Brock is a hybrid of Linden and Bure!

If you think about it, Brock is still scoring at a consistent rate without his linemates (Bo and Sven) . He clearly makes people around him better.

I think Boeser is so special of a player and considering this is his first full season, Im a little excited to see all the points he is going to rack up in his career. We absolutely have a star in the making if not already. 

Dont get me wrong. Still love Bo

I don't really have favourites. It prevents objectivity - which is like hens teeth on here. The "team" is my favourite, after that usually the coach who has the hardest job of all.

We see it every day where someone like Pouliot gets a pass for glaring mistakes and Hutton is jumped on for every little mistake (as evidenced by Oldnews' ludicrous hatchet job on Hutton a few games back)

Unfortunately "favourites" implies that some players are "not favoured" which usually means any mistake by these players  is remembered, embellished even and any good thing they do is ignored. 

Brock and Bo are both outstanding players based on the starts they have had to their NHL careers but I also think the team has to play well to see the best of them.

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

I find it really hard to assess with a couple players like this, because they're so different and what they contribute is difficult to weigh against the other.

Horvat does so many things well - so strong - has become such a great skater, soild two way player, great faceoff guy, developed the ability to play hard minutes, versatile, good counterpuncher/can score in transition, on the rush, heavy in the hard areaas - brings so much.

But Boeser has an equalizing ability - to finish where it almost seems inevitable that he's going to either get enough chances to score, or make due with whatever he does get, he's that lethal in the scoring areas.  He's also a pretty mindful player all over the ice, so it's not as though he's a liability when he's not in possession - he's actually pretty solid, and consistent, which is part of what has earned him so many minutes so early in his career.  And that part is what makes it really difficult to asses imo, because either of them are also solid in the 'secondary' areas of the game that aren't necessarily their bread and butter.  If Boeser improves his skating in the next few years anywhere near as much as Horvat did....can only imagine how dangerous he'll get.  They both seem driven.

Just don't know how to weigh those things against each other.   A team really has to have both those kinds of players, and on any given night either one of them can the key.

It's hard to compete with putting the puck in the net though, from a viewer's standpoint. 

Hopefully next year there'll be an addition to the question - if Pettersson makes the jump - perhaps even starts at LW on a line with those two - that line could be electric.

All true. 

I heard someone say once when debating who was better Orr ir Gretzky that if you put 5 Orr's on the ice against 5 Gretzys who would win.

I think 5 Brock's against 5 Bo's it would be Bo the winner. 

It's a fun debate and good that we have such awesome players on the same team and the fans can equally love them both. 

The other thing is we have a small sample of Brock as well. 

On 2017-12-19 at 5:51 PM, IBatch said:

Boeser because he exactly what this club needs.  Bo will have a long, average career and brings a strong reliable presence to the club but isn't a star and likely never will be.  Brock already is a star, and rarely do first year stars do what Selanne did, most take a few years to peak..Eighty points is tough to do right now for anyone ( just ask Crosby) and even 75 puts you in the top thirty overall, if not the top twenty, something Boeser could still achieve this year and only go up from there.

He's got the potential to break 100 one day, and be the new Stamkos scoring 40 plus perrenially, give him a bona fide top ten center and watch him tear it up.   Rarely are Canuck fans treated with a rookie like him, he's the real deal and can score with any linemates as we have already seen.

Horvat is already living in his shadow, and ideally should be our second line center.  Nothing wrong with that, nothing at all.

Horvat is a key part of the next core though, his work ethic and professional attitude will help guide the next crop of guys once the Sedins retire, much like Potvin did with the Islanders.

On 2017-12-19 at 5:58 PM, kloubek said:

Ditto. Horvat is the more complete player and likely always will be. But Boesers scoring talent is clearly better. 

I still maintain Horvat is an elite 2nd line center.  I think Boeser has already proven himself as a first line winger and given his immediate impact (which is incredibly rare) it is hard not to assume he will be at the top of the league in scoring through his prime.

Both kinds of players are invaluable.

I agree with parts of both these posts, other than the bolded sentences. 

Bo was on pace to put up 60 points before he got hurt, 30g 30a. That puts him on the low side of being a number 1 centre, and he’s known to heat up as the season goes on. He brings more than Boeser does overall to the game, at least at this point. Obviously goal scoring wins you games, but so does winning key face offs, rallying the troops, and killing penalties. 

A post compared them to Toews and Kane, or even Linden and Bure and I couldn’t agree more. Toews is essential to his club, regardless if he’s putting up monster points or not, same as Bo is. I think the proof of that is our relative freefall since he’s been injured. Boeser’s still putting up goals, and yet we’re losing games. I think it’s obvious as to why. 

Leading your team through leadership, excellent 2 way play, and grit is just as important IMO to a contending team than a premium goal scorer, and that is exactly why Bo deserves the C when Henrik hangs them up. I for one can’t wait for this changing of the guard. 

7 hours ago, GreyHatnDart said:

Bo was on pace to put up 60 points before he got hurt, 30g 30a. That puts him on the low side of being a number 1 centre

Leading your team through leadership, excellent 2 way play, and grit is just as important IMO to a contending team than a premium goal scorer, and that is exactly why Bo deserves the C when Henrik hangs them up. I for one can’t wait for this changing of the guard. 

I totally agree that Horvat brings important elements to the game which is why I had difficulty saying who I felt was more important to our team. Horvat really is a gem and has done everything we asked for.  I also agree the c is his to lose once Henrik is done.

I additionally agree that he was close to producing at low end 1st line production, but I pegged him as an elite 2nd for a couple of reasons:

1) I didn't feel Bo's game progressed from last season.  Yes he was on pace for a few more points but I attributed that to Boeser.

2) If Pettersson develops as I expect, he should be the obvious first line center.  Additionally, I believe that most cup winning teams have a true elite first line center, and I don't believe Bo is one.  

Hence, I called him an elite 2nd.  And I maintain that on our team, thats what he is likely to be.  On our current team and on other lesser teams, I agree he is a first.

Either way, he's an integral part of this team... But then, so is Boeser.

On 21/12/2017 at 7:02 AM, HOFsedins said:

While I completely agree with you, Boeser's pretty impressive with his play away from the puck. Absolutely a 200ft player. Pretty complete if you ask me. What is scary is that I think Brock is a hybrid of Linden and Bure!

If you think about it, Brock is still scoring at a consistent rate without his linemates (Bo and Sven) . He clearly makes people around him better.

I think Boeser is so special of a player and considering this is his first full season, Im a little excited to see all the points he is going to rack up in his career. We absolutely have a star in the making if not already. 

Dont get me wrong. Still love Bo

Well said and I feel the same, although not as much as the comparisons as we've never had a player like him ( maybe Greg Adams?)...

The power out of his release is elite, kicking off like starting a Harley reminds me a little of Hull, and I hate to say it, Messier at the height of his powers when he'd enter the zone and pop one in near the hash marks.

Hes another Robataille and Hull in the comparisons with his skating no doubt, but like them he's not going to let it be a problem.  

Given that he will likely take over as the highest scoring player in a Canuck debut, and that almost never does a rookie have his best year as a rookie, myself and other fans are in for a real treat.  It would not surprise me if he ends up with a 8-10 million second contract for term, which would give him a solid chance at breaking D. Sedins goal record.

His biggest competition for the Calder is Barzal IMO.  He's centering the second line and isn't feasting as much on the PP, and could end up as the best second line center in the league ( sorry Malkin) as rookie which is impressive.  If Boeser manages forty plus goals which he's easily on target for, he will win it though....which would really be something to be happy about no matter if we end up a lottery team again.

Horvat is also a very special player, his face off acumen is what won him a spot early, and nobody expected so much improvement with his stride which helped him overtake the number one ( or at least 1b) role while still keep a solid two way game ( although it's a tad overrated IMO), clutch ability and excellent leadership.  

Boeser also plays a responsible 200 foot game but is not as physical ( yet) .... And he's been considered a leader on his teams for quite some time.  Both would make excellent captains, I'd probably give it to Horvat, but wouldnt be surprised if Boeser starts flexing his influence next year and is given that honour too.  The Sedins could retire at the end of the on top of their game....or they could be back for 1-2 more years to help guide the next core which would be ok depending on the contracts and how they play, but one things for sure it looks like Bo and Boeser will have letters sown on their sweaters at some point...and the next core has a lot to look forward too (Demko's, Pettersson, Juolevi and probably one of two of Lind, Jonah the Barbarian, Gaudette , Brisbois PLUS this year's pick (Dahlin??) and the following years pick(s) 

On 21/12/2017 at 7:16 PM, kloubek said:

I totally agree that Horvat brings important elements to the game which is why I had difficulty saying who I felt was more important to our team. Horvat really is a gem and has done everything we asked for.  I also agree the c is his to lose once Henrik is done.

I additionally agree that he was close to producing at low end 1st line production, but I pegged him as an elite 2nd for a couple of reasons:

1) I didn't feel Bo's game progressed from last season.  Yes he was on pace for a few more points but I attributed that to Boeser.

2) If Pettersson develops as I expect, he should be the obvious first line center.  Additionally, I believe that most cup winning teams have a true elite first line center, and I don't believe Bo is one.  

Hence, I called him an elite 2nd.  And I maintain that on our team, thats what he is likely to be.  On our current team and on other lesser teams, I agree he is a first.

Either way, he's an integral part of this team... But then, so is Boeser.

I agree with your assesment.  I also don't think we drafted him to be a first line center, rather a shut down two way second line center like you suggest where he should and eventually will end up.  Boeser has an elite shot, and a center that can pass the puck at an elite level ( the Sedins for example) could push him to have multiple fifty goal seasons.  We've already seen a hint of that since he's landed on the first PP unit, and that's with 37 year old Sedinery.    We've had elite second line centers in the past (Kesler, Gradin, Ronning) and those three teams ended up in the final....same with most cup winners all-time.  

It's a vital piece, if Pettersson overachieves and Lind too, we could end up with two scoring lines within two years yippee ( and in the meantime we kind of already do have two elite second lines, just not an elite first line ... yet).  Give Boeser a top ten center and he will probably smash the record book if we can keep him for fifteen years or so.

Why make this choice? Just count our blessings that we have both. I think its' being shown that Bo is integral to the success of this team; Boeser is continuing to score, but the wins aren't there. I think the same thing would be happening if it was the other way around. Both bring something special to the team.

It's like, which Twin is better? Go ahead...let's see that one figured out!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived