The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Offence At The Expense Of Defence.

TheGuardian_

18 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Just kind of pointing out the number of Canuck AHL players on the team over the last 5 years, his inclusion was from the post back then, 2017.

It does make for an exciting looking game, having a rover, but forwards don't make very good dmen.

What does that have to do with what I responded to? I wasn't responding to your OP, I was responding to the bold parts of this post:

On 11/17/2018 at 1:06 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Still pertinent and more pronounced. The past reference to Subban had to do with management's claim of developing in the AHL and being given a chance in the NHL, not much to that claim if the player is 2 season's in the AHL, at least this team's players.

The games do look more exciting and the single rookie kid is playing regularly .

I stand by my response:

A - Being in the AHL doesn't guarantee you an NHL shot. You have to earn that.

B - There are two rookies on the roster.

PERSONALY I would rather play 7 to 6 games than 2 to 1. Playing kitty bar the door sucks I would rather last shot wins. If Green wants to tighten up the goals against he better look for bigger defensemen. Your D men wont pinch as much less turnovers in the offensive end you will have more time spent in the defensive end. So bigger D men that can handle the cycle .Not fast smurfs.

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

One by accident not design and here temporarily due to injury. Probable to be returned to the farm once Beagle/Sutter/Boeser return.

And so he should. He's not ready and needs higher ice time and a greater role in the minors. The fact remains, there are currently two rookies on the roster and the possibility of other rookies getting a call-up this season.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:07 AM, Baggins said:

What does that have to do with what I responded to? I wasn't responding to your OP, I was responding to the bold parts of this post:

I stand by my response:

A - Being in the AHL doesn't guarantee you an NHL shot. You have to earn that.

B - There are two rookies on the roster.

How many teams have two that started the season? How many teams had more than two? NJD had nine 2 years ago

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

It is plain since the start of the season that in the attempt to make the games more exciting and add offence the defence has been way more active in the offensive zone. When it works the team can press quite a bit and hopefully nab a few goals.

In a few games it appears they tried to play a more defensive game but were not able to score enough goals for success and in most of those games they were heavily outshot and the game looked rather "slow" and not as entertaining.

In games where this has been a success the goalie of the night has had an outstanding save percentage, that can be looked up if you want, but it does indicate a goalie "stealing" a game. Just look at what happens if the goalie is just ordinary.

Sacrificing defence will create more goals but dmen will look vulnerable, goalies better play vezina quality and the forwards have to skate back to the defensive zone like they have a breakaway.

So far the defence just isn't putting up enough points to sustain this but then they aren't playing good enough defence either.

Nailed it.

On 12/20/2017 at 7:17 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

It is plain since the start of the season that in the attempt to make the games more exciting and add offence the defence has been way more active in the offensive zone. When it works the team can press quite a bit and hopefully nab a few goals.

In a few games it appears they tried to play a more defensive game but were not able to score enough goals for success and in most of those games they were heavily outshot and the game looked rather "slow" and not as entertaining.

In games where this has been a success the goalie of the night has had an outstanding save percentage, that can be looked up if you want, but it does indicate a goalie "stealing" a game. Just look at what happens if the goalie is just ordinary.

What is surprising to me is that they never gave Subban a chance since they seem to allow all other dmen to roam all over the offensive zone. Subban showed that he had the hands for this experiment even if his defensive side of his game lacked a bit. I mean Biega works really hard out there but he has never been known as a scoring threat.

In the last couple of games I noticed some forwards looking to cover for dmen before the dmen did anything, suggesting a game plan maybe.

Another thing that is different is Green's game plan, in Utica they played a lot of trap games, that is why Subban was one of the scoring leaders, they relied on the PP more for scoring, they kept the shots against down and were often outshot most games. It is also why so many of the prospects had dismal scoring stats, Virtanen has almost as many points this NHL season as all of last AHL season under Green.

Sacrificing defence will create more goals but dmen will look vulnerable, goalies better play vezina quality and the forwards have to skate back to the defensive zone like they have a breakaway.

So far the defence just isn't putting up enough points to sustain this but then they aren't playing good enough defence either.

A Subban thread... Guardian, you know how to bring it. ;)  

Subban is long gone and no one else is giving him a chance either. 

With Hughes playing like a cat with mice in the NCAA and Stetcher becoming a decent middle pairing guy, who would Subban beat out for the under sized roles?  

If he was better than Stecher, he would be playing. Remember JB was a smaller NHL d man. He knows what he is looking at. 

Why all the long feelings for Subban when Hughes is on the door step?  Didn’t Pronman just call Hughes the best d man not currently playing in then NHL?  This team has found its ‘Subban’ and his name is Quinn. 

22 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

A Subban thread... Guardian, you know how to bring it. ;)  

Subban is long gone and no one else is giving him a chance either. 

With Hughes playing like a cat with mice in the NCAA and Stetcher becoming a decent middle pairing guy, who would Subban beat out for the under sized roles?  

If he was better than Stecher, he would be playing. Remember JB was a smaller NHL d man. He knows what he is looking at. 

Why all the long feelings for Subban when Hughes is on the door step?  Didn’t Pronman just call Hughes the best d man not currently playing in then NHL?  This team has found its ‘Subban’ and his name is Quinn. 

How many 5'9" dmen in the league?

Subban was just used as an example of how this management group DIDN'T use the development program, I could have named Cassels or any one of the other 6 guys,  that they never even gave them one single game NHL game.

But he is gone and according to Garrett who is 5'8", if Hughes is 5'9" then he is 6'.

Subban is gone, over and done.

The GF show the difference in goalie equipment size and the difference between GF and GA show the "system" being used and it's effectiveness.

The games are looking more entertaining.

Archived