The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do you buy your gloceries?

milk and honey

I shop at Trader Joe's, Safeway, and QFC depending on who is the cheapest that week, and will sometimes shop at all three that week depending on what I need, such as blueberries are 0.20$ cheaper than Trader Joe's, and bananas are 0.19$ per banana at Trader Joe's, and champagne is a dollar cheaper at the QFC than Safeway.  

I don't drive, and all stores are within block of each other, so I can save by choosing which stores to shop at. 

Save-On-Foods delivery.

It’s so easy and saves so much time. Same prices as in store. There’s just a delivery charge but you can pay for it with loyalty points. 

The app works great. Has a picture, price, and description for everything sold in the store. Works from your phone or pretty much any device.

We just add items through the week to our grocery list on the app. And click through the weekly flyer for any deals. You can even scan coupons from your phone camera if you’re into that stuff (I’ve never tried but it’s on the app).

Can schedule the groceries to arrive at your door pretty much any time of the day. Even offers same day service. Same day, next day, or schedule your delivery sometime later in the week. Whatever works best for you. 

And the delivery folks are super nice. 

Honestly, it’s great. Especially in my neighbourhood. The grocery stores are really busy and overcrowded. And parking around here is a nightmare. So avoiding that whole mess has been really great.

Never mind trying to get through a busy grocery store with 5-year-old twins!

Not a good scene. Either you end up caving in to their demands for junk or you end up being that parent everyone watches in the store as they scold/threaten/murder their kids (kidding on the last one there—at least for legal purposes ;)).

I’ll still pop into the boutique markets (deli, fish guy, bakery, fruit stand, etc) for special items and treats, but all our weekly staples and household basics come by delivery.

And yeah, I realize this turned into a pretty long rant but honestly, delivery has made life better and I’m super psyched about it!

So I just wanted to spread the gospel (and no, I don’t work for Save-On-Foods).

On 12/25/2017 at 9:53 PM, Twilight Sparkle said:

i have airmiles so safeway is my main hub. i also work at their bakery, so i have insider knowledge of airmiles sales and sales in general XD

superstore for everything else because they're cheaper and i like buying their lamb. i love lamb

then walmart for house needs

baker?

Primarily Costco and Save-On, secondarily Superstore and Choices depending on products required as they all carry things we can't find at other stores or are simply better options at one store vs another.

Though we buy a lot of organic, 'natural' or otherwise slightly more off the beaten path products which is likely partly why we go to multiple stores.

Costco we buy bulk 'staples', bulk organic chicken, kids snacks, nuts, meat for dog etc (and their chunky gaucamole is DELICIOUS).

Guacamole-at-Costco-830x498.jpg

Superstore is mostly for smaller trips to fill in between the other stores, spices etc... though they have a pretty decent organics section (veg as well as things like cereal, teas, staples) etc as well. Other than the prepackaged 'natural' bacon, I refuse to buy any meat there :unsure: Save On we buy most of our fruit, veg, kids yogurt, milk etc, etc. They also carry a DELICIOUS marbled, caramelized onion goat Cheddar I HIGHLY recommend. That companies goat mozzarella is also quite good.

Screen_Shot_2017-01-24_at_11.02.25_AM_gr

Choices for more specialty items like goat yogurt, kombucha, high quality supplements etc. Also Superstore stopped carrying our favourite tortilla chips so we have to get them from Choices now.

BlueFlax-e1379124299642.png

Quality Foods for the most part. Walmart for things like coffee, condiments, junk food, and household stuff. Thrifty Foods for cat food; they're the only place besides the vet that carries the brand I buy. Shoppers for meds.

Our Safeway closed down a few years back unfortunately; I really miss it.

On 2017-12-27 at 10:51 AM, -AJ- said:

I don't buy groceries.

But I will someday soon. I know my mom buys them at Superstore. She's a real bargain-hunter, so I have to assume there are some good prices there.

Seriously?  You never buy groceries, or at least go shopping with your mother?  

I used to love grocery shopping, and walking up and down every isle.  I didn’t really care where.  I’d have a list, but i still went up and down all the isles.  I really enjoyed picking out stuff.  (I still go, but it’s too bloody hard to reach beyond the middle shelves.)

You should try it; it’s fun!  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seriously?  You never buy groceries, or at least go shopping with your mother?  

I used to love grocery shopping, and walking up and down every isle.  I didn’t really care where.  I’d have a list, but i still went up and down all the isles.  I really enjoyed picking out stuff.  (I still go, but it’s too bloody hard to reach beyond the middle shelves.)

You should try it; it’s fun!  

When I was a kid, my mom would take me sometimes and I enjoyed my time, but these days, I'm either busy or simply prefer doing other things. My parents still purchase about 95% of what I eat, so there's little to no need for me to go to the grocery store yet.

Safeway is right up the road and has been my "go to" for years, but that's changing.  Their customer service has gone down the tubes and they play pricing games that don't amuse me.

IGA is next to my gym, so get deli items there a lot.

Kins mostly for produce.

I know prices and mostly sale shop, although I won't "travel" for items unless one store is offering several at a time that makes it worthwhile.  

I have a friend who works for a high quality food distributor and order things through her a lot.  GREAT deals as expiry dates near (got Raincoast Crisps...a case of 12 packs for $5, hummus, great cheeses, etc.).

I'm open to exploring new options as Safeway has bottomed out.  I'm a bit of a weirdo, as I LOVE grocery shopping.

Archived