The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Draft Pick and Rankings

First of all, I know this is super early, but I'm bored and I'm sure some of you are too. 

I bet there are lots of you who are more familiar with 2018's draft class, so I would love to hear your opinions on who you think we should draft with our picks, especially with the later picks as I'm not familiar with who may be left for the later rounds. 

With our first pick (assuming they're available and we pick high) I'd be interested in:

1. Filip Zadina

2. Brady Tkachuk

3. Adam Boqvist

Early?  It's next to impossible as we don't know the draft position yet.  You could be the world's most knowledgeable person on draft eligible players, but if you don't know your draft position, it means nothing.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but it just seems so pointless to me.

Not necessarily. I'm assuming we get a top 10 pick, maybe a top 5 depending on how the season ends. I'm also betting we don't get a first overall because the Canucks don't have that kind of luck. And Svechnikov is nowhere near my list, too much bad luck with Russians. I want to see how Goldobin turns out first. Plus, Patrick and Hischier should have been at the top of everyone's list last year, but it looks like the Canuck's would have taken Makar 1st overall anyway. 

This is supposed to be a fun exercise. Take a guess at where we finish the season,  pretend the seasons ending now, maybe we trade Vanek or someone for an additional pick, who knows. 

Tell us your wish list, and lets just assume Dahlin and Svechnikov are at the top of your list. 

It's not even the same calendar year as the draft yet, and as much as it's fun to predict, it's impossible to properly discuss when we could be picking anywhere from 1-14. And that's assuming we don't make the playoffs. Considering there are big jumps from 1-5, and 5-10 (and 10+, etc.), and even looking at a top two like last year is very possible to be off base, then there's going to be some wild swings in possible picks.

If you want to discuss rankings of players to give an idea of who we'd pick, that's kind of what this thread is dedicated to:

Well, I am probably get Bombed for this, but here is my top 10 list of who the Canucks should take................

1. Ramus Dahlin LHD...................................................no brainer, we need Dmen and he is elite

2. Andei Svechnikov RW..............................................Tougher call............I trade down..............Boqvist, Dobson, or Wilde.........swap of top 10 picks and your best prospect

3. Adam Boqvist RHD...................................................I take him

4. Filip Zadina RW........................................................Sorry, I am trading down for Boqvist, Dobson or Wilde

5. Brady Tkachuk LW...................................................I would try to trade down a couple of spots

6. Quin Hughes LHD....................................................To small........throw him back!

7. Joel Farabee LW......................................................I would take Dobson

8. Oliver Wahlstrom C..................................................I would take Dobson

9. Noah Dobson RHD..................................................I got Dobson

10. Bode Wilde RHD (ranked 15ish)............................I am taking Wilde..............not much difference between #10 and #15

I know there is a definite theme, but we need to take a OFD, it is the only way we are going to get one.....................the only way!

Hey! And "Happy New Year"!

Bomb away!

LET IT BE KNOWN THAT IF THOSE EDMONTON OILERS GET FIRST OVERALL AND GET DAHLIN I WILL GIVE UP ON HOCKEY FOREVER.

WE SHOULD GET DAHLIN BEFORE THE OILERS AND ALL THEIR PREVIOUS FIRST OVERALLS AND TOP TEN PICKS.

IT WILL BE VERY OBVIOUS THAT THIS LEAGUE IS FIXED AND NO SENSE IN GIVING A F%$&K ANYMORE

LAST POST OF 2017.

HAPPY AND SAFE NEW YEAR TO ALL.

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, I am probably get Bombed for this, but here is my top 10 list of who the Canucks should take................

1. Ramus Dahlin LHD...................................................no brainer, we need Dmen and he is elite

2. Andei Svechnikov RW..............................................Tougher call............I trade down..............Boqvist, Dobson, or Wilde.........swap of top 10 picks and your best prospect

3. Adam Boqvist RHD...................................................I take him

4. Filip Zadina RW........................................................Sorry, I am trading down for Boqvist, Dobson or Wilde

5. Brady Tkachuk LW...................................................I would try to trade down a couple of spots

6. Quin Hughes LHD....................................................To small........throw him back!

7. Joel Farabee LW......................................................I would take Dobson

8. Oliver Wahlstrom C..................................................I would take Dobson

9. Noah Dobson RHD..................................................I got Dobson

10. Bode Wilde RHD (ranked 15ish)............................I am taking Wilde..............not much difference between #10 and #15

I know there is a definite theme, but we need to take a OFD, it is the only way we are going to get one.....................the only way!

Hey! And "Happy New Year"!

Bomb away!

If somehow we get Dahlin this year, do you look at moving Juolevi for a more experienced right hand offensive dman?? 

Maybe part of a great package for Karlsson or whomever may be available at the time.

10 minutes ago, KKnight said:

If somehow we get Dahlin this year, do you look at moving Juolevi for a more experienced right hand offensive dman?? 

Maybe part of a great package for Karlsson or whomever may be available at the time.

No, keep Juolevi. Dahlin/Juolevi on the left side would be better than the Ehrhoff/Hamhuis 1-2 Left side punch. 

10 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

No, keep Juolevi. Dahlin/Juolevi on the left side would be better than the Ehrhoff/Hamhuis 1-2 Left side punch. 

Just think about...

Dahlin-Tanev

Juolevi-Stetcher

As a top 4.

Could be solid for years to come

2 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

I agree.  I dont believe Juolevi will be top d material anyway, so he slots in nicely as 2nd ld.

Though imagine having Dahlin and Karlsson on the same team.  That would be insane.

Then if Tryamkin came back to add size?  Two elite scorers, an elite shutdown guy and an elite hitter? That's good for the best d in the biz right there.

13 hours ago, KKnight said:

"IF" we got Dahlin

Imagine this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Dahlin..........................Stecher

Juolevi.........................Tanev

Pouliot.........................Gudbranson

Hutton..........................Biega

McEneny.....................Tryamkin

Brisebois.....................

Trade.......................... Edler and Baertschi for a RHOD defencemen or trade both for a second pick in the mid -1st

Trade...........................Sutter for a late 1st at the TDL........we have not had him all year, he cam  replaced

Trade or 2019 1st........If it brings us Trouba within reason + maybe Godobin and  or our 2019 unprotected 1st and MDZ

Sign.............................Kane because he is free and score 30 goals a year and has grit

All these trades...........Kane replaces Baertschi, Edler wold no be missed

............Sutter is to a playoff contender to need a faceoff man and a PK killer

.............Trouba might come for the right rice

Just for the record in my dream,we pick all demen exrtra with 1st's, all second and thirds

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

"IF" we got Dahlin

Imagine this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Dahlin..........................Stecher

Juolevi.........................Tanev

Pouliot.........................Gudbranson

Hutton..........................Biega

McEneny.....................Tryamkin

Brisebois.....................

Trade.......................... Edler and Baertschi for a RHOD defencemen or trade both for a second pick in the mid -1st

Trade...........................Sutter for a late 1st at the TDL........we have not had him all year, he cam  replaced

Trade or 2019 1st........If it brings us Trouba within reason + maybe Godobin and  or our 2019 unprotected 1st and MDZ

Sign.............................Kane because he is free and score 30 goals a year and has grit

All these trades...........Kane replaces Baertschi, Edler wold no be missed

............Dutter is to a playoff contender to need a faceoff man and a PK killer

.............Trouba might come for the right rice

Just for the record in my dream,we pick all demen exrtra with 1st's, all second and thirds

Somebody's been having too many wet dreams again lol 

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

I agree.  I dont believe Juolevi will be top d material anyway, so he slots in nicely as 2nd ld.

Though imagine having Dahlin and Karlsson on the same team.  That would be insane.

Then if Tryamkin came back to add size?  Two elite scorers, an elite shutdown guy and an elite hitter? That's good for the best d in the biz right there.

Agree 100%

If Tryamkin comes back, he is not going to be just some 5/6 dman/plug with size. He is going to be a force. When Tryamkin mad, Tryamkin SMASH!! 

2 hours ago, KKnight said:

Somebody's been having too many wet dreams again lol 

I did say dream................

And please appreciate it was 2 am after arriving back from a NEW Years Party

I should get beers just for format and spelling........only found one mistake! And again, I said dream! LOL

Happy New Year to all!

23 hours ago, Blazer8717 said:

First of all, I know this is super early, but I'm bored and I'm sure some of you are too. 

I bet there are lots of you who are more familiar with 2018's draft class, so I would love to hear your opinions on who you think we should draft with our picks, especially with the later picks as I'm not familiar with who may be left for the later rounds. 

With our first pick (assuming they're available and we pick high) I'd be interested in:

1. Filip Zadina

2. Brady Tkachuk

3. Adam Boqvist

It's never too early...

Archived