The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Parallel Disasters..Mtl, Ottawa

Nuxfanabroad

9 hours ago, mephnick said:

These days? Load up with talent and hope a decent goalie gets hot at the right time and win games 4-3.You don't need a Price to win a Cup, you need Toews and Kane.

5 years ago Toews and Kane were cup contenders, not so much anymore. Time is catching up and their teammates are of lesser ability now, as well

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

5 years ago Toews and Kane were cup contenders, not so much anymore. Time is catching up and their teammates are of lesser ability now, as well

Toews is a shadow of himself. He's a great player but very, very, overpaid.

On 12/31/2017 at 3:49 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Both these franchises seemed to have recently had(now extinguished!) fairly lofty ambitions, merely wks ago. Whether that was hallucinatory, is probably a separate question.. For their respective GM's, that's now all quickly morphed into desperation.

Questions:

1- Which franchise will sink lower/for longer?

2- Is either GM gonna make next season?

3- Which team sells more key pieces, prior to this yr's draft? Will either team "scorch earth" it, right down to the roots?

4- What's the nastiest issue(s) facing either team, in hopes of a rebuild?

***BONUS Question***

You're given a 5 yr contract to ride in(as GM) & save either team. A Benning-special! Which one would you want? How would you go about it?

(this might first require a wreckin' ball kiddies..let's keep this civil, with compassion for our Ott, Mtl fan-counterparts)

I'll post my own feelings in a bit, if this thing has legs. Kinda' sad, these are two Cdn franchises that I like to see do well..but I'll bet one little sneaky, wh*ring NY lawyer is havin' a ball.

Why not include Edmonton in this who have more NMContracts and seemingly been able to take the world's best player and have him do nothing at all to lead the team anywhere now that he is checked like he is the world's best player?   Montreal and Ottawa can seemingly change things around even more quickly than Edmonton - neither of the former have contracts to Lucic and similar to deal with.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why not include Edmonton in this who have more NMContracts and seemingly been able to take the world's best player and have him do nothing at all to lead the team anywhere now that he is checked like he is the world's best player?   Montreal and Ottawa can seemingly change things around even more quickly than Edmonton - neither of the former have contracts to Lucic and similar to deal with.

Actually mentioned Edm/Chia-pet(back near bottom of page 1, I think?). I've heard other posters(here & other sites) claim Cdn franchises generally have to pay 5~10% on contracts(especially stars) more than their US counterparts(mostly attributable to higher taxes). Would you agree this is true?

Seems Cdn teams get cap-crunched more often.

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Actually mentioned Edm/Chia-pet(back near bottom of page 1, I think?). I've heard other posters(here & other sites) claim Cdn franchises generally have to pay 5~10% on contracts(especially stars) more than their US counterparts(mostly attributable to higher taxes). Would you agree this is true?

Seems Cdn teams get cap-crunched more often.

I don't agree.   Take Horvat's or the Sedin's contracts (when they signed), they are both examples of paying probably below market.   That may well be true for people having to live in Edmonton but I don't think that is true for places like Vancouver or Montreal.    Toronto - that may be a different story.   Calgary - pretty nice place for the most part too.   Winnipeg - wow, hard to live in a fridge for that many months but I don't think their contracts are out of whack with rest of league.

• 5 weeks later...

My uncle was a massive habs fan.  ALS took him before they got bad. Hes probably spinning in his grave so fast right now he could generate power. I had such high hopes for them a couple years ago. I think ottawa turns it around faster with the same GM.  Montreal gets a new one in the off season for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, these two sad-sack stories, still only separated by 1 point. There should be an investigation into the operative-tactics of both orgs.

Veteran-laden rosters, that(pre-season) were supposed to be in the hunt, & they're spirallin' the loo. Unacceptable for them to angle in/meddle with our completely honourable stealth-tank!

On ‎2018‎年‎2‎月‎4‎日 at 2:03 AM, hammertime said:

I'd take Ottawa on for a rebuild. They have many good pieces. Mtl has a long ways to go.

Well, they got the jump on the Habbies, by moving slowpoke Pha9.

• 4 months later...
On ‎2018‎年‎1‎月‎1‎日 at 8:49 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Both these franchises seemed to have recently had(now extinguished!) fairly lofty ambitions, merely wks ago. Whether that was hallucinatory, is probably a separate question.. For their respective GM's, that's now all quickly morphed into desperation.

Questions:

3- Which team sells more key pieces, prior to this yr's draft? Will either team "scorch earth" it, right down to the roots?

***BONUS Question***

You're given a 5 yr contract to ride in(as GM) & save either team. A Benning-special! Which one would you want? How would you go about it?

(this might first require a wreckin' ball kiddies..let's keep this civil, with compassion for our Ott, Mtl fan-counterparts)

I'll post my own feelings in a bit, if this thing has legs. Kinda' sad, these are two Cdn franchises that I like to see do well..but I'll bet one little sneaky, wh*ring NY lawyer is havin' a ball.

Feel this deserves a bump. It has long felt these two careening craft are crashing to earth in parallel-descent.

Also makes me wonder again whether this league LIKES observing Cdn franchises in smoldering ashes? Meanwhile, funnel their top talent(& top picks) to bandwagon, oft disinterested, mercurial, conditionally-loving, southern fanbases, with comparable interests as diverse as fishing, stock cars & card games?

Increasingly appears a rigged deck-league.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 3:49 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Questions:

***BONUS Question***

Great off season topic.  It's tempting to throw Edmonton in the mix because  of their long mud spin. Long before last season's flop.

Yet looking at Montreal and Ottawa There appears to be no foundational player in which to pin a fan's hope to.

Like what's with Montreal? The leadership is a disaster. I'm amazed the GM has made it this far. (see -feels like Edmonton with names like Kevin Lowe and MacTavish coming to mind. While these 2 were winning Cups many of the present NHL executives were in business school. ) 

Then Ottawa. Another strange owner. Maybe one of the strangest. After the recent nightmare why would anyone want to sign. Even Alex Burrows weighed in, someone who holds some validity to the situation. Once again poor leadership. 

Being a Canucks fan I kind of enjoy it.

Archived