The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With 43 games remaining, how should Travis Green turn the ship around?

kurtzfan

5 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

There is nothing to turn around. It's just patience. 

Basically this.  What have we seen so far?  I young core emerging with some veteran support show some promise.  Things have buckled with all the injuries but the depth is coming.  More core pieces are coming (Juolevi, Demko, Pettersson).  We, as fans, just need to wait.  Doesn't mean trades can't be made.  Treat this deadline like this one.  If someone is welling to give value for a veteran, make the trade but don't give them away.  If a trade is there similar to the Gudbranson trade (in terms of youth for youth), do that one too.  But everything has to make sense for the team long term.  No panic moves either way.  (Don't need to strip it to the Horvats or ship out prospects for a quick fix).

In the meantime, enjoy the season Boeser is having as it's safe to say he is blowing away even the highest of expectations.  (Seriously, I think most of us would've been happy with 20 goals - 40 points)

Management already burned Horvat's ELC and we only have next year before we have to pay Boeser BIG BUCK$$$$ thanks to having him burn a year by joining us for 9 games to end last season.

That's two key guys in your lineup that have (or will have after next season) burned their entire ELC's before the team is even back into playoff contention. 

People wonder why Benning is so hot on the fast track "rebuild on the fly" - that's why. 

In a salary cap era, when you have significant and/or star caliber talent join your team full time, you have to make hay asap, or the $$$ they will be due after those first 2-3 years are up, can seriously impact your chances of icing a competitive lineup for a longer rather than shorter period of time. ( commonly referred to as "the window" ) 

If the management of this team needs serious cleaning up in any one area, it's how they deal with TIME. 
The Sedins were drafted almost 20 years ago and they still don't have a regular line mate. 
I don't care how they decide to dress that up, it's a massive failure.

You have to be aware of timelines when it comes to your up and coming star players and realize where the window will be with them, and then plan your moves accordingly so you maximize the amount of time you can keep them on your team.
Chicago picked Towes 3rd overall in 2006 and Kane 1st overall in 2007.
They both joined the Hawks in 2007-2008, and had won a Stanley Cup before their ELC's were expired.... then won 3 more in the 5 years following.
#1 reason it pays to draft well. 

In other words, it has little if anything to do with the coach. It starts up top.

Just my 2 bits 

Right now nux would pick 5th and 36th in 2018. A couple deadline deals and we could possibly windup 5th 25th 36th and 55th.  There's a nice thought to add some more quality.  Ships heading on course. 

Next year the list of players not currently on the nux who will be eligible for utica is amazing.

Petterson

Dahlen

Gaudette

Juolevi

Lind

Gadjovich

Brisebois

Demko

Chatfield

Lockwood

Gunnarson

Macewen

McEneny

Fantastic. And Boeser has raised all of their games. 

GCG.

11 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Right now nux would pick 5th and 36th in 2018. A couple deadline deals and we could possibly windup 5th 25th 36th and 55th.  There's a nice thought to add some more quality.  Ships heading on course. 

Next year the list of players not currently on the nux who will be eligible for utica is amazing.

Petterson

Dahlen

Gaudette

Juolevi

Lind

Gadjovich

Brisebois

Demko

Chatfield

Lockwood

Gunnarson

Macewen

McEneny

Fantastic. And Boeser has raised all of their games. 

GCG.

A great list compared to even 3 years ago. As excited as fans get about the building list of prospects the reality is that the depth is not good enough. Many on the list will not play a significant number of NHL games. The 2018 Draft is a big deal. Ideally Benning swings deals for another 1st & 2nd Rounder. It would give him 9 picks in a strong draft. If nothing else the Anaheim game should have brought home how far the Canucks still have to go.  

45 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

A great list compared to even 3 years ago. As excited as fans get about the building list of prospects the reality is that the depth is not good enough. Many on the list will not play a significant number of NHL games. The 2018 Draft is a big deal. Ideally Benning swings deals for another 1st & 2nd Rounder. It would give him 9 picks in a strong draft. If nothing else the Anaheim game should have brought home how far the Canucks still have to go.  

You bet.  The flip side is Benning can add via the dregs of the UFA list to plug holes and the flip a few again next year, like I think he will with at least do with Vanek this year.  I'd expect one roster spot for a rookie forward like this year again next year, and hopefully one for OJ if he's ready, otherwise rinse and repeat.  Demko maybe too.  Then in 2020 the strategy will change and we will see the rest that are NHL ready pile in.  

The "ship" has been slowly sinking since October 31st. The Canucks rode some hot goaltending to a 6-3-2 record in the 11 games they played in October and have just 10 wins in the 29 games since. Without the resurgent PP (under Newell Brown, not Green) Nov. and early Dec. would have been even worse than the 8 wins the team managed to earn. People can heap all the praise on Green they want but any "success" the Canucks may have enjoyed this season can basically be attributed to some hot goaltending early on, the emergence of Boeser and the PP under Brown.

Green can only do so much. One last good stealth tank and land a top d man at the draft or two.  Add as many picks as possible, say goodbye to Edler, Trade Vanek for a pick and then resign him.  Sign Guddy, let the twins retire,use the twins money to sign Tavares and the rebuild is done.  Bring up players from within after signing Tavares.  Development has to be a top priority for now on with this organization.  

EmW

13 hours ago, darkpoet said:

Management already burned Horvat's ELC and we only have next year before we have to pay Boeser BIG BUCK$$$$ thanks to having him burn a year by joining us for 9 games to end last season.

That's two key guys in your lineup that have (or will have after next season) burned their entire ELC's before the team is even back into playoff contention. 

Horvat was ready to play; no point in drowning him in London.  His new contract is solid and has good term.  I would say, below market value.

Giving Boeser a year off his ELC ensured that he would sign in Vancouver.  He's already 20yrs old, so (like Horvat) one would think he would have been playing in the NHL by now, if he went through the junior hockey system.

We will have to wait and see what kind of contract he gets next year.  Being a winger, I doubt he gets Draisatl $.

There will be a few big contracts coming off the salary cap within the next couple of years, so the team should be able to cover the RFA signings.

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Horvat was ready to play; no point in drowning him in London.  His new contract is solid and has good term.  I would say, below market value.

Giving Boeser a year off his ELC ensured that he would sign in Vancouver.  He's already 20yrs old, so (like Horvat) one would think he would have been playing in the NHL by now, if he went through the junior hockey system.

We will have to wait and see what kind of contract he gets next year.  Being a winger, I doubt he gets Draisatl $.

There will be a few big contracts coming off the salary cap within the next couple of years, so the team should be able to cover the RFA signings.

That has nothing to do with it. If Brock gets 40 goals this year and next then his agent is going to ask for what the market says and right now a percentage of the salary cap seems to be what these kids are asking for and getting. With the cap going up in the next couple of seasons if Brock continues scoring like he is then his agent has to ask for $9-$10mil for 7-8 years, no way around it. And if the Canucks are unwilling to offer that much then i'm sure some team will.

28 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Green can only do so much. One last good stealth tank and land a top d man at the draft or two.  Add as many picks as possible, say goodbye to Edler, Trade Vanek for a pick and then resign him.  Sign Guddy, let the twins retire,use the twins money to sign Tavares and the rebuild is done.  Bring up players from within after signing Tavares.  Development has to be a top priority for now on with this organization.  

EmW

Tavares would push things up no doubt with Boeser it could become the next Hull and Oates show.  We are one of a small group of teams that have that sort of cap space so it isn't too far fetched....guess we will find out.

22 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

We will have the money and Brock is proving his worth. Would move out Eriksson and give Brock his salary tomorrow.  We won’t be letting him get to RFA status.  He is going to out preform Bure’s rookie season, has a great chance of winning me Calder, likely goes to the all star game and will easily be our most valuable player this year. 

Thats a guy to build around. 

15 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

That has nothing to do with it. If Brock gets 40 goals this year and next then his agent is going to ask for what the market says and right now a percentage of the salary cap seems to be what these kids are asking for and getting. With the cap going up in the next couple of seasons if Brock continues scoring like he is then his agent has to ask for $9-$10mil for 7-8 years, no way around it. And if the Canucks are unwilling to offer that much then i'm sure some team will.

C's have higher value than Ws.

Brock will have a new contract in early 2019 (before TD), so whatever the going rate for that season will be offered.  Hopefully with the longest term possible.  Whatever the case, I really don't see how 1 year early makes that much difference in the long run.  The team would still have to pay high because he is soooo good soooo soon.

18 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

C's have higher value than Ws.

Brock will have a new contract in early 2019 (before TD), so whatever the going rate for that season will be offered.  Hopefully with the longest term possible.  Whatever the case, I really don't see how 1 year early makes that much difference in the long run.  The team would still have to pay high because he is soooo good soooo soon.

Patrik Laine is a winger and there is already talk of him getting $8-$9mil. His ELC and Brock's end at the same time and Brock is already having a better rookie season than Laine did last year. Laine is a year younger so that could affect term by that extra year but the $$ for BB's agent to ask for could be $10mil per.

It would be fun to watch Canuck playoff hockey again but for many years of the Canucks existence, they have been tweeners....not bad enough to be sellers for a rebuild and not good enough to seriously compete for a cup.

Past regimes have erred significantly by trading prospects/picks to try to grab the final playoff position or in contrast, have failed to trade away pending UFA's because they are needed for that run only to quickly get beat down in the first round.

Green needs to keep pushing this team and keep the young guys positive and hopefully management doesn't change their course and keeps on in full rebuild mode and moves assets such as Vanek, perhaps Guddy et al for a solid return to help with the rebuild.

16 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Patrik Laine is a winger and there is already talk of him getting $8-$9mil. His ELC and Brock's end at the same time and Brock is already having a better rookie season than Laine did last year. Laine is a year younger so that could affect term by that extra year but the $$ for BB's agent to ask for could be $10mil per.

Right now it's all just speculation regarding their value.  I'm not so sure we can predict that Brock will be of higher value than Laine.

It still doesn't matter all that much that Brock is reaching RFA a year earlier in a career that will last many years.

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

Can we hold off on getting back to mediocrity?  I would like us to have the best % chance possible pick as high as possible in the 2018 draft.  

Why is this so hard for people to comprehend? Short-sightedness? Impatience?

Let's get younger, let's get better, losing helps that, finisihing 2 games above .500 does NOTHING now or for the future of this club. NOTHING.  And don't talk to me about player confidence BS...they are pros, they know EXACTLY what is going on.

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

4 first round picks if he signs elsewhere for more than 6.5 mil, or do I have that wrong?

Thats a nice consolation package.

Archived