The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Just like “he is not a transitional coach”?

picky in your determination of what is precocious are you not? 

there's a word for people like you, i can't seem to find it

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

No big deal.

The team played better than the result indicated - but in any event....

Getzlaf

Henrique

Kesler

Vermette

That's SC quality down the middle.

For us - we were severely overmatched last night.

Gagner

Henrik

Dowd

Chaput

Wow, when you put it like that, the Canucks center depth blows in comparison. It even sounds inferior when you say both sets of names out loud.

Maybe it's Henrique and Vermette that lend the Ducks C depth a touch of European class.

7 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Not a mistake? Did you see the goals that were let in? You were happy with that goaltending?

seriously? 

Again, Markstrom hasn't been much better. He has also let in softies. That is why starting Nilsson wasn't a bad decision.

What part of this is too hard for you to understand?

8 hours ago, tyhee said:

1.  Sedin-Sedin-Gaunce? 

The Sedins have historically thrived with speedy wingers who can get back quickly to cover on defence and get to an retrieve the puck for them while being able to contribute at least a little on offence, Burrows and Hansen being examples.  Gaunce doesn't have great speed, isn't good enough with the puck to help them with their cycle game and is most effective defensively rather than offensively-while the Sedins are more effective in the offensive zone.

There are quite a few posters who seem to think Gaunce useless because he's essentially a black hole offensively.  I think he can be somewhat useful so long as he is giving up fewer net goals to the opponents' better offensive players than other players on his team.  That means deploying him in a defensive role against better offensive players. 

The twins in their prime were gifted offensively other than speed-wise and were responsible defensively while not being particularly strong defensive forwards.  Their best trait defensively was the ability to control the puck in the offensive zone so that the opponents were a long way from the Canucks' goal and usually didn't have the puck.  In their late NHL years they are weaker defensively and most successful when deployed in the offensive zone.

So how does one deploy a line of Sedin-Sedin-Gaunce?  Using them against good offensive players means deploying the Sedins in a way they aren't well suited.  Using them as an offensive line means deploying Gaunce in a manner in which he's particularly ill-suited.  I can see the thought of putting a defender with offensive players in the thought that he'll cover for them, but Gaunce isn't the speedy guy best suited for doing that with the Sedins and would be a detriment to them offensively.  The line wouldn't balance into a good one, it would imo just be useless.

On a less important note, Gaunce isn't the best choice of someone to play on his off-wing.  Generally playing off-wing gives some offensive advantage for a sniper while making things a little more difficult defensively.  People may have noticed that Gaunce isn't the epitome of a sniper.

2.  The lineup as constructed contains too many offensive-style defencemen who aren't very good defensively.  Essentially, pretty much all of the defencemen other than Tanev need to play with someone like Tanev.   Pouliot and del Zotto need a Tanev type of partner for the pair to be effective. 

Del Zotto isn't a guy I think should be paired with Dahlin in Dahlin's rookie year.  Dahlin's great strength is on offence.  He may turn out to be an exception but there's every reason to think he'll need to learn NHL defence.  Playing him with an offensive defenceman risks the pair being blown up nightly and Dahlin not learning defence like he would from a strong-defending veteran.

3.  Dahlen-Pettersson-Goldobin?

Obviously that line has real offensive skill.  It also puts two rookies with offensive skill who aren't used to the North American style of play with an offensive forward whose weakness so far in his career has been attention to detail defensively.  They'd be an exciting line to watch.  They also might also see the goal light behind Markstrom getting lit on a regular basis.  I can't say that this line won't work because of defensive problems, but counting on two offensive rookies from a wider ice surface with someone who cheats in the defensive zone could be a recipe for many goals against.

4.  Imo rushing Demko to the defensive tire fire that the current Canucks are and this proposed lineup would be risks ruining his development and his confidence (which two things are of course connected.)  The plan based on the length of contracts for Markstrom and Nilsson seems to have been to have him be the starter in Utica for two seasons.  This is his first. 

I really don't want to see him subjected to being left to fend for himself the way Markstrom and Nilsson are regularly this season.  It risks ruining his confidence, changing the way he plays the game (not in a good way) and leaving him subject to the vocal criticisms of the Vancouver media and fans when it turns out he isn't ready to perform miracles.

5.  Obviously there was some optimism in hoping to win the Rasmus Dahlin lottery, but that's nothing compared with the optimism that someone is going to take that Eriksson contract off the Canucks' hands.  Finding someone to take the Gagner contract would be difficult as well.  Yes, it is possible to move any contract-if you're willing to take back something equally bad or give up something with enough positive value.  The Eriksson contract is so bad that you'd have to take taking back a disastrous contract or give up something really good to move it.

6.  Of course, both Edler and Eriksson have no move clauses.  That may not be much of an impediment, though, as players will tend to be more open to waiving when the team is poor, as the Canucks of 2015-18 are.  While injuries have played a big part, it must be frustrating and potentially demoralizing to go through a period liike the Canucks' last ten games, with an overtime win and one regular win against 8 losses (1 in OT) which include losses of 5-1, 6-1, 7-1 and 5-0 as well as other losses in which the team gave up 7 and 5 goals.

7.  I realize the NHL is trending more towards speed and less towards goons, but toughness and intimidation are still relevant.  That lineup is imo just too soft.

Made it to #1 and you discredit yourself saying Gaunce is not fast.  Don't know what games you are watching.  Even Loui Debrusk said the other night that Gaunce is a big guy with tremendous speed.  I've watched Gaunce for the past two yrs and although he's not offensively gifted one thing happens when he's on the ice.  There's offensive chances for him or someone else usually because of his speed and defensive abilities.  Before Sutter got injured I remember Gaunce springing him on several breakaways.  Maybe experimenting with him on the Sedins line might be a good thing.  Nobody else seems to be able to play with them this yr.  Maybe it's time to put him with some offensively good players instead of slugs !  That said, he might be too valuable as a shut down forward to do that.

1 minute ago, Borderline Canuck said:

Made it to #1 and you discredit yourself saying Gaunce is not fast.  Don't know what games you are watching.  Even Loui Debrusk said the other night that Gaunce is a big guy with tremendous speed.  I've watched Gaunce for the past two yrs and although he's not offensively gifted one thing happens when he's on the ice.  There's offensive chances for him or someone else usually because of his speed and defensive abilities.  Before Sutter got injured I remember Gaunce springing him on several breakaways.  Maybe experimenting with him on the Sedins line might be a good thing.  Nobody else seems to be able to play with them this yr.  Maybe it's time to put him with some offensively good players instead of slugs !  That said, he might be too valuable as a shut down forward to do that.

Gauche with the Twins?  Interesting.  It might just work.  

1 hour ago, 867-five-309 said:

Stetcher on the wing? I don't think so.

Hmm..as if western civilization hangs in the balance?( there's bigger issues abounding)

6'3", 230 lb rhinos should be on the blueline. Throw the odd dancer into the blend, but we've got too much of that, right now.

Keep Stech because...

- He'll stay loyal, to his childhood dream-team

- Versatile skills, who gives his all, every time on the ice

- Squeeze 8-10 yrs from this guy, cos' if nothing else, he'll teach the youth about tenacious dedication

When we have a properly assembled roster, TS won't figure prominently..but the main point was, I'd keep a kid like this around. Furthermore, we should dress 7D more often.

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Vanek: Is on a one year deal, and was realistically signed to provide scoring. He's done so, and now would be beneficial to bring back a pick which would be put towards the future.

The Sedins: They aren't going anywhere as Linden is painfully aware of the lack of legacy players in the team's history. That being said, I believe Bieksa and Burrows were legacy type players for the Canucks, yet they were traded. This idea that the Sedins are "owed" the right to decide their trajectory with the organization, when no other player from that core has been is strange. They're play is dwindling, and it's time for reality to settle in, and for the organization to move into the next chapter.

Gagner: The definition of a streaky player that tends to take a series of games off and coast. Look at his career trajectory and tell me that he's a valuable veteran presence.

Eriksson: Another streaky player who took advantage of a somewhat desperate GM (at the time) and got a huge payday.

Edler: He's run his course with this team similarly to how the Sedins have. He doesn't provide anything that can't be found elsewhere.

Tanev: Trading him would be unwise. He possesses too much talent. He needs to be paired with a more overtly physical defenseman who will protect him and allow him to work his defensive magic.

Hutton: He doesn't stand out to me as a player that possesses anything that can't be found in Utica.

Gudbranson: I've been an avid supporter of his for some time, but he hasn't brought his unique skillset to the game anywhere near enough this season, injuries withstanding. If he brought the menace he did in Florida, this would be a non-issue, but he hasn't. Will probably be looking at a UFA payday.

Gaunce: Needs to stay and show what he can do. He's made great progress.

Dowd: He's a decent player, nothing remarkable, but at least plays with some purpose and is a team first player. Keep and see what he does with an increased role.

Boucher: Has a reputation as a streaky player who bounced around between NHL teams, much like Gagner.

Sutter: He needs to stay. His defensive acumen and capability are sorely missed. Benning was right when he labeled Brandon a foundational player. Put him with the right players and you have a solid line.

Markstrom/Nilsson: Neither goaltender has shown the capability to string together a series of solid starts. Not sure what the issue is, but it might just be as simple as the fact that neither is a bonafide NHL starter.

Who replaces these players? Other players that have or will be drafted, players that could be acquired in a trade or through free agency. There needs to be a clear cut determination as to what type of hockey the Canucks want to play, and the type of players the team needs to target. Going after 30+ year old players is the wrong idea for long term signings. The Vanek signing is perfect. Not too much invested, but you get to gauge a player's worth before committing.

Good assessment.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hmm..as if western civilization hangs in the balance?(ergo, there's bigger issues abounding)

6'3", 230 lb rhinos should be on the blueline. Throw the odd dancer into the blend, but we've got too much of that, right now.

Keep Stech because...

-  skills, who gives his all, every time on the ice

- Squeeze 8-10 yrs from this guy, cos' if nothing else, he'll teach the youth about tenacious dedication

When we have a properly assembled roster, TS won't figure prominently..but the main point was, I'd keep a kid like this around. Furthermore, we should dress 7D more often.

I think Stecher is a great guy to keep around. Coverting smaller d to wing, which gets thrown around a lot, seems like Stech. 

24 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

Again, Markstrom hasn't been much better. He has also let in softies. That is why starting Nilsson wasn't a bad decision.

What part of this is too hard for you to understand?

Your comprehension of the game is very difficult to understand 

keeo warching the Sportsnet panel though, I am sure they will continue to teach you apparently 

48 minutes ago, oldnews said:

No big deal.

The team played better than the result indicated - but in any event....

Getzlaf

Henrique

Kesler

Vermette

That's SC quality down the middle.

For us - we were severely overmatched last night.

Gagner

Henrik

Dowd

Chaput

Add to that the fact that the team also had Boucher and Goldobin in the lineup - some areas that we're simply going to get beat - the Sedins and Goldobin matched up against the Ducks heavy forward group - that is just a tough assignment for a line that is not very hard to play against.  Nowhere to shelter players last night.

The amazing takeaway from last night on the positive side is that the team actually edged the Ducks in the faceoff circle.

And appreciated the efforts from Chaput and Dowd in particular.

Chaput had 12% ozone starts, 40% corsi, 80% in the faceoff circle, and won a tilt imo.

Dowd was really notable - 43 ozone, 65% corsi, 3 hits, 3 takeaways - really impressive, assertive game all over the ice and making a case for becoming a longer term bottom 6.

We get killed in our top 6 when we're this depleted, but still loved the depth efforts.

^^this

no amount of coaching is going to get you out of trouble with this C matchup. But even with that, the team played hard. Jake may have helped make a bit of a difference last night in place of Boucher, I wonder at this point if he'll even be qualified next offseason. 

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hmm..as if western civilization hangs in the balance?( there's bigger issues abounding)

Keep Stech because...

- Versatile skills, who gives his all, every time on the ice

I'm of the same mind. The defense needs more than just one defenseman who is a threatening presence like Gudbranson. At least one more to protect and insulate the youth.

Edler: Can still throw a crushing hit, but it's usually followed by an errant pass or outright refusal to pass to Boeser

Tanev: Far more adept at taking a hit than throwing one.

Stecher: Kid has some jam, but it's in a small mason jar.

Pouliot: Doesn't seem afraid of anyone, but should be cultivated for his offensive skill.

Del Zotto: Is actually quite good in the hitting department.

Gudbranson: When he's on his physical game, there are very few players in the league not named Chara or Byfuglien who are more imposing.

Hutton: Nah

Regarding TG & Nilsson, I like how he played this.

- Never takes the bait, by throwing 'tenders under bus with press(like that Carolina arse last yr, with Lack)

- Threw down the gauntlet(privately..at least during practice) with AN..challenging him to perhaps(?) light a fire

- Then give the guy a major test, to see if he's got mental toughness(test failed! :^)

Got to consider how other players(& 'tenders) will perceive such actions. Now, & in the future.

It's harsh..but fair.

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I tried trading Baer & Gran (last summer, mostly), & got treated like the proverbial red-headed step-child. Tells ya folks, I knew the shortage of grit would bite our arse. As if we need posters like moi, playing I-told-ya-so's...

Keep saying it..but like Winterpeg the past few yrs. As their kiddies grow, cram 20~30%(of lineup) of snarly mouth-breathers onto the grand stage..who cares if they **** up their lines?!

Guys like Gryba & Prout getting waived..CLAIM 1 or 2 like that. Trade a wimp like Smiley Hutton for a middlish-pick. Groom Stecher to play RD & RW like Biega. Dress 7D lots, so you're prepared for brawling games. Next yr guys like Arch & MacEwan better get a decent shot. Sign/trade for a few more, as well...

This ain't GOSPEL, ferGawdsakes!..but I'm TIRED of the Euro-vision. We need the grit to grind out some ugly 3-2 wins; OR lose 5-2(usually) but it's the other team that gets injuries! Clean, intense, but Hard play..ala Dorsett-style.

Keep drafting young skill, but NEVER compromise your grit. Not for a league run by that midget, with 2 rulebooks.

i dont know if its because im sick but i just could not comprehend this at all 

Archived