The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

This simply reinforces that the vet's need to go, Edler especially. Need to find someone to take Eriksson off our hands.

Deadline - Trade: Edler, Gudbranson, Eriksson, Vanek, Gagner, Nilsson
Keep: Tanev, Sutter, bring Sedins back for 1 more year.

Play the youth, let them grow, give them bigger roles and let them grow into those roles. Maybe we get lucky and win the lottery, bound to be our turn. Draft Dahlin, Juolevi makes the team, same with Pettersson and Dahlen.

Hope that Demko is ready to suit up next year.

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Dahlen - Pettersson - Goldobin

Virtanen - Sutter - Granlund

Sedin - Sedin - Gaunce

Pouliot - Tanev
Dahlin - Del Zotto

Juolevi - Stecher

Markstrom
Demko

In 2 years, Demko takes over as starter.

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“We have to bear down here or the season is going to slip away.” - Gudbranson

Now I knew a man, from an eastern town

With mustache, played his position like a thorny crown

He said to Jimbooo, I live in fear

With negotiatin' position, that says I may just disappear

Slip, slidin' away

Slip slidin away-hay

Y'know the nearer to our Dah'lin

The more we're slip slidin' away

without horvat and sutter down the middle.. we are gonna get destroyed against teams like Anaheim. Gagner vs Getzlaf? vs Kesler? or an aged Henrik? they cant do it. It's also not a coincidence that our PK has gone to complete garbage with both Bo and Sutter gone... best pkers, best faceoff men. Still think this might be a blessing in disguise, although Edmonton is looking to win another lottery as well. 

need to be sellers at deadline

need to ask sedins to waive ntc  at tdl or retire next yr  

need to ask eriksson to waive nmc  retain halfhis salary  this is bennings worst move to date.

need to ask edler to waive ntc

need  vanek traded for picks

trade guddy, sutter, tanev, granlund , delzotto and hutton for max value at deadline.

need to trade for team toughness, hitting and  someone to protect boeser and give him little more time space out there. Need a new dcore that isnt soft as kleenex.

Get tryamkin back to van 

please win lotto this yr  core of horvat, virtanen, boeser, guadette, tryamkin, petersson , juolevi, dahlen, demko, lind, gaz will be so slick next yr 

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Boy do the Canucks really miss Miller.

I spent nearly all the time Miller was here telling those who would listen how good a goalie he was and how he WAS worth his salary. The sad fact is, there is raging ageism on these boards. Miller was deemed by many to be too old to be good. It was only after he rushed out to protect Stecher that these people woke up and saw him for the great goalie and strong character he is.

I doubt we could have stopped him leaving anyway but I blame the management for not seeing the paucity of net minding he left behind. As Garrett says "Good goalies stop the "easy" ones first" It was pretty obvious that WD didn't really rate Markstrom (but he is certainly better than Nilsson) hence the claims at the time that Miller was being overplayed.

If there is any mitigating circumstances for these goalies to proffer then it is that our D (and by that I include the quite a few forwards on this team) are just not very good. But sadly, as far as letting in some of these shots last night I'm afraid that excuse fails to justify their performance.

4 hours ago, cory40 said:

Travis Green rolled 4 lines and the team looked energenic. Rookies make the mistakes they see the Veterns make and they ride the pine. Gotta let them grow. Vert needs to play and play lots. The power play looks like they don't want to pass to Boeser. And the other teams PK is noticing. Henrick and Daniel need to be split up. They are bringing the whole team down. Its like slo mo hockey. For the one or two good chances they get a game, they would each add 1 or 2 chances a game to the line they play on. Its too dangerous to have two really slow veterns on a line. 

You worry about them both being on the same line - I worry about them being back next year.

4 hours ago, Stelar said:

Lol, sounds like 2013, and 2014 and 2015, etc, etc

Yep - the master of the platitudes strikes again.

In fairness to them, for years they have put their money where their mouth was but let's face it they are "followers" (probably stragglers is more accurate) rather than leaders now.

GO! - while we still remember your genius and your Sedinary as the light that lit up Vancouver.

4 hours ago, Green Building said:

Edmonton is a hot mess.

Not only did Vegas mini plunder their way into the league, but they're leading the west with 5 starting goalies this year. WTF

We maybe should have traded Subban for his goalie brother. He was outstanding against the Leafs the other night.

4 hours ago, samurai said:

Green is play aggressive but give up lots of goals and Willie was play defensively and lose by a goal or 2.  Tonight was a sleeper but Green's style is generally better to watch.  

Winning of course has nothing to do with systems but rather what kind of personnel you got.  At the moment our team is not much different than what we had last year at this stage.  Sutter, Horvat, Sven are severely missed.   

Demko should get a look ASAP just to give him and taste and for management to see where he is at.  I also think now that Archie is back they should sign him and get him up here.   

In case you weren't there, WD used a system that accommodated 3 AHLers and sometimes as much as 8 rookies 2 with no pro experience due to horrendous injuries and poor recruiting of replacements by JB.

By doing that he successfully built the confidence of our young players, who didn't have to return to the dressing room every night with basketball figures against them.

As I have said often enough now, when WD had a team worth a damn he took us to the playoffs with 101 points.

This should never be a comparison of coaches, because CDC's memory is too damaged for that. The fact is we need to get behind THIS coach and wait till he has his injured players back in the team.

4 hours ago, krizzel said:

exactly what i expected from green's comments on the game.... pretty much nothing

What else could he say? 

He doesn't have any magic wand to make Miller appear back in Canucks colors or for all of our injured players to suddenly come back or for the Sedins to become 10 years younger.

No doubt he is saying what is necessary behind closed doors in order to gee the players up but in this town you give the media FA if you are smart.

4 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

So did the people whining about Edler just listen on the radio? The only goal he was on against us was a big rebound by Nilsson. Edler closed the gap and angled the guy off, but he scored on a back-hander from below the goal line. That one was on Nilsson. The rest of the goals were DZ-Tanev and one DZ-Pouliot.

Goldobin and Boucher are still too soft and seem timid against bigger teams.

Hey!

You've got this all wrong.

Edler is the old guy, he's not new and he's not shiny. The bird brains, most of who don't follow hockey anyway and watching 10mins of highlights tires them out don't want to read or hear anything that in any way absolves Edler from total blame.

Luckily they are too lazy to check anything out, so they are usually easy prey to anyone such as yourself armed with a few facts. These are the same idiots who shouted for weeks about Miller's contract and how old and "past it" he was.

4 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

Never gets old. 

Not for the cerebrally challenged anyway.

I mean how much better could a gif be than one showing a player who has given his all for this club, a player who despite not being a No1 D has filled the role admirably most nights, often playing 25+mins a night, getting a dressing down from a borderline "nut-case" who thought so little of this Club and City he didn't even want to live here, hardly ever attended practices and made a career out of calling out his own players which included playing a rookie goalie over a legendary goalie who had given his all for the Club in the Heritage Classic.

He also had the distinction of coaching the Canucks to their first failure to reach the playoffs since 2008.

Let's not forget how he tried to humiliate another one of our best players. I assume this never gets old either.

Dang, Alfstonker with 8 posts of tears in a row, that has to be a new record. ::D

The loss tonight was pretty disappointing for sure. We have no chance against a healthy-ish Ducks team unless our goaltending is above average, which is surely wasn't tonight. I'm not letting Edler off the hook even if he wasn't on the ice for most of the goals, I saw the guy make several TERRIBLE, non-NHL level pass attempts not to mention they inexplicably always put him out on the PP and he loves 1) to never pass to Brock Boeser unless it's a total garbage pass he can't receive, and 2) if he DOES have a good pass available to Brock on the PP (you know, our top goal scorer? the guy who can shoot, literally the only one on our PP right now practically?), oh no, he's going to take a terrible shot himself RIGHT into the opposing player so it bounces out of their zone and we lose it. Great. Take that guy off the PP, his hockey IQ especially on the PP is a joke.

Also agree with others here that the Sedins are just far too slow now, they need to be split up. They can still pass OK sometimes, they just can't skate anywhere near the speed of most good teams' skaters anymore, it doesn't make sense having both of them out there unless we want the other team to skate circles around them.

6 hours ago, combover said:

This Team is soft and easy to play against proven once again tonight. The d is a mess. Not a body check in the group I can’t remeber a group that watches the puck as much as these guys.

Remember when  we had Snepst, or McIlhargey, or Butcher or Diduck  etc.......  good times those.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Not for the cerebrally challenged anyway.

I mean how much better could a gif be than one showing a player who has given his all for this club, a player who despite not being a No1 D has filled the role admirably most nights, often playing 25+mins a night, getting a dressing down from a borderline "nut-case" who thought so little of this Club and City he didn't even want to live here, hardly ever attended practices and made a career out of calling out his own players which included playing a rookie goalie over a legendary goalie who had given his all for the Club in the Heritage Classic.

He also had the distinction of coaching the Canucks to their first failure to reach the playoffs since 2008.

Let's not forget how he tried to humiliate another one of our best players. I assume this never gets old either.

Torts was a total nut case. Embarrassing behaviour. ... 

Archived