The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

First game for my daughter

Chris for mascot

So just like the title says I'm taking my 9 year old daughter to her first game on January 25th against the Sabres, and I'm wondering about special events happening for game day..Also the best way to give her an unforgettable experience. I'd love for her to be able to meet a player or two lol. Anyway help a dad out.

As far as meeting players go, I doubt that will happen. However, if you're willing to stand in the cold for a bit, you can go to the main exit gate behind Rogers Arena (There's only one gate). And you can see the players leave. This usually happens about 30-45 minutes after the game. Most players will stop and wave. 

I think the most enjoyable experience for kids is to go to the game 30 minutes early, walk down the steps and up to the glass, and let your daughter watch the warm up, up close and personal. She may even get a puck. 

Have fun. 

1 hour ago, Chris for mascot said:

So just like the title says I'm taking my 9 year old daughter to her first game on January 25th against the Sabres, and I'm wondering about special events happening for game day..Also the best way to give her an unforgettable experience. I'd love for her to be able to meet a player or two lol. Anyway help a dad out.

Make sure to go early for the warm ups...but be aware of pucks slamming the glass (warn her beforehand so she isn't scared when it happens...can be quite a shock).  Go to the end where the zamboni comes out ... the host down there is an older man named Vern and is super friendly.  Don't go right into that area (that's reserved) but beside it.  If you hang out in the corner down there on the glass on the bench side of the rink, watch for Henrik as he will pick pucks up with his stick and flip them over the glass for kids.  Maybe a sign urging him to do so will get his attention (as there are many fans down there, but most are on the side, not the end/corner, where you'll have the best chance).

Also, apparently Finn has a fun zone that she may like.

Good luck and have fun!

I've only seen two games at Rogers, but Brock in particular seemed to toss a lot of pucks to kids at the glass after warmup. Picking up where Bo left off  (I've seen Bo do it too). Having a cute sign that references a specific player usually gets attention, especially if it's a less popular guy (Biega, Chaput, etc.). They really do notice and tend to waive (or wink, in Nilsson's case).

20 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

my young daughter was beginning to love hockey

met trev linden at pac centre and had a nice chat with him

then burrows stole her pen .....

now she cheers seahawks. So frustrating for me as a dad :(

LOL What?! Burrows stole her pen? Please elaborate on this story... would love to hear it! 

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

LOL What?! Burrows stole her pen? Please elaborate on this story... would love to hear it! 

Haha

took daughter to mall for autograph / canuck meet event

daughter waited in line for an hour

finally got to front and handed  her pen to burrows for autograph

burrows holds the pen but before. He signs .... his handler tells him.  Time to go

he gets up and leaves with my kid daughters pen And he leaves without signing

Daughter was a bit disapointed

i told her no problem ... you will have another 75 yrs of men disappointing you.   She was young to get my joke though   Lol 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Haha

finally got to fronthsnded her pen to burrows for autograph

burrows holds the pen but before. He signs .... his handler tells him.  Time to go

he gets up and leaves with my kid daughters pen.   He leaves.  

i told her no problem ... you will have another 75 yrs of men disappointing you.   She was young to get my joke though   Lol 

Whaaaaaaat! His handler needs to get a talking to...

I'm surprised Burr didn't say "no wait... 1 more" 

28 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

my young daughter was beginning to love hockey

met trev linden at pac centre and had a nice chat with him

then burrows stole her pen .....

now she cheers seahawks. So frustrating for me as a dad :(

Could be far, far, far worse.  She could become a fan of the Leafs, Oilers or Flames.  

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Could be far, far, far worse.  She could become a fan of the Leafs, Oilers or Flames.  

My brother has a leaf shrine in his basement man cave

disgusting. ...

i had to take a shower when i got home after he showed it to me 

3 hours ago, c00kies said:

Ask Travis Green if she can play goalie for the night.

She has my vote.  Remember to let in the first shot...It's tradition! On a serious note, hope you have a great night and maybe your daughter can bring the boys some luck. 

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Haha

finally got to front and handed  her pen to burrows for autograph

he gets up and leaves with my kid daughters pen And he leaves without signing

I don't always align with your posts, but this is quite possibly the best line I have ever read on this site.   Gold!   

Archived