The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Carey Price on the market?

rekker

Even if Price were available, 10.5 million for, any goaltender, nevermind a declining one, is a tough pill to swallow. 

Retaining 50% may make something work but his current numbers wouldn't help his or Montreal's case. But paying 5.2 million for a player that's no longer yours... ouch

The only saving grace may be a truly desperate team in need of a change to save a season and can afford to pay that for a goalie.

Oh wait, that's Montreal.

Shoot, there goes that plan.

I was listening to Sportsnet 650 and one of the guests said something that made a lot of sense (it does happen).

"You can't pay a hockey player 10 million dollars if he can't score a lot of goals."

Of the past 5 Stanley Cup winners, none of their goalies make more than 6 million per season, that being Corey Crawford. The biggest bargain seems to be Matt Murray, who's won two straight cups and makes 3.7 million a year.

This seems to suggest that if your team's biggest star is your goalie, you're in trouble.

The bottom line is, goalies are never going to score 90-100 points a season. 

They won't score the clutch goal or overtime winner.

They are there to stop pucks from going into their teams net. That's it.

Any team with a good core of defensemen and forwards can win with a mediocre goalie.

Unless Carey Price wins 16, 1-0 playoff games in a row on the way to a Stanley Cup ring, there is no way he'll ever have earned his 10.5 million.

14 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Even if Price were available, 10.5 million for, any goaltender, nevermind a declining one, is a tough pill to swallow. 

Retaining 50% may make something work but his current numbers wouldn't help his or Montreal's case. But paying 5.2 million for a player that's no longer yours... ouch

The only saving grace may be a truly desperate team in need of a change to save a season and can afford to pay that for a goalie.

Oh wait, that's Montreal.

Shoot, there goes that plan.

I was listening to Sportsnet 650 and one of the guests said something that made a lot of sense (it does happen).

"You can't pay a hockey player 10 million dollars if he can't score a lot of goals."

Of the past 5 Stanley Cup winners, none of their goalies make more than 6 million per season, that being Corey Crawford. The biggest bargain seems to be Matt Murray, who's won two straight cups and makes 3.7 million a year.

This seems to suggest that if your team's biggest star is your goalie, you're in trouble.

The bottom line is, goalies are never going to score 90-100 points a season. 

They won't score the clutch goal or overtime winner.

They are there to stop pucks from going into their teams net. That's it.

Any team with a good core of defensemen and forwards can win with a mediocre goalie.

Unless Carey Price wins 16, 1-0 playoff games in a row on the way to a Stanley Cup ring, there is no way he'll ever have earned his 10.5 million.

I'm not too sure on the logic here. McDavid will never make 30-40 saves a night for 16 games to win a Cup, so why is he worth his contract? He can go pointless and score the game winning goal for the Cup and be a hero, while the one that prevents over 500 shots from going into their net is not worth their pay?

Not that I think Price is worth the contract, but a player that is the last line of defense that is capable of stealing a game with big saves is quite valuable. Stopping pucks from entering your goal is just as important as scoring goals. The problem is his contract is a bit high, but he is often the best player on their team and the top players get paid.

The amount of pressure goalies deal with and the lesser amount of recognition they get, no wonder you have to be a bit crazy to manage playing that position.

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'm not too sure on the logic here. McDavid will never make 30-40 saves a night for 16 games to win a Cup, so why is he worth his contract? He can go pointless and score the game winning goal for the Cup and be a hero, while the one that prevents over 500 shots from going into their net is not worth their pay?

Not that I think Price is worth the contract, but a player that is the last line of defense that is capable of stealing a game with big saves is quite valuable. Stopping pucks from entering your goal is just as important as scoring goals. The problem is his contract is a bit high, but he is often the best player on their team and the top players get paid.

The amount of pressure goalies deal with and the lesser amount of recognition they get, no wonder you have to be a bit crazy to manage playing that position.

I agree. How easily we forget that just a few years ago, he carried a bad offence team quite far in the playoffs. I remember looking at their lineup and thinking, "put any other goalie in the league on this team and they're a lottery team."

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Sharks could fit him in exchange for Jones+.  Fits in with their window and cap structure with Jumbo Joe, Hansen, and Ward all freeing up cap next year.

Their top pair is making $15 mil from next season till the end of time, and they're also both over 30. Don't see the Sharks taking on yet another massive, risky contract (unless...one of those guys is going the other way?).

15 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I agree. How easily we forget that just a few years ago, he carried a bad offence team quite far in the playoffs. I remember looking at their lineup and thinking, "put any other goalie in the league on this team and they're a lottery team."

Did he win a cup?

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The logic is that fans don't go to watch goalies make saves. Fans go to watch the McDavid's, Crosby's, Boeser's and Stamkos' of the hockey world put pucks in the net.They are the ones that sell tickets. They are the ones that get TV deals for the league. 

In modern-day hockey, offense is everything.

In a cap league, a 10 million dollar goalie is crippling to a teams ability to build a team around him.

Matt Murray- 2 Stanley Cups, 3.75 million over 3 years, signed after he'd won a cup.

Corey Crawford- 2 cups, 6 million over 6 years, signed after he'd a won a cup.

Jonathan Quick- 2 cups, 5.8 million over 10 years, signed after he'd won a cup.

Carey Price- 0 cups, final year of a six-year contract at 6.5 million, starting next season 8 year contract at 10.5 million a year.

It's a simple fix. Trade him to Tampa for a package of assets. He'll win a cup.

Oops, can't. He makes too much and Tampa can't afford him. 

Guess they'll just have to settle for Andrei Vasilevskiy who currently has a 1.92 GAA, a 0.939 SV% and makes 3.5 million a year.

He's not going anywhere with that contract.  Like ever.  Montreal would need to retain a minimum of 2.5 million for the duration just to make anyone even consider it.  Price is one of if not the best, but we're now in a league where Roy alone doesn't win you a cup like he did in 93.  The greatest player at any one position is useless without the surrounding cast and $10.5 million doesn't get you squat left over for support

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

The logic is that fans don't go to watch goalies make saves. Fans go to watch the McDavid's, Crosby's, Boeser's and Stamkos' of the hockey world put pucks in the net.They are the ones that sell tickets. They are the ones that get TV deals for the league. 

In modern-day hockey, offense is everything.

In a cap league, a 10 million dollar goalie is crippling to a teams ability to build a team around him.

Matt Murray- 2 Stanley Cups, 3.75 million over 3 years, signed after he'd won a cup.

Corey Crawford- 2 cups, 6 million over 6 years, signed after he'd a won a cup.

Jonathan Quick- 2 cups, 5.8 million over 10 years, signed after he'd won a cup.

Carey Price- 0 cups, final year of a six-year contract at 6.5 million, starting next season 8 year contract at 10.5 million a year.

It's a simple fix. Trade him to Tampa for a package of assets. He'll win a cup.

Oops, can't. He makes too much and Tampa can't afford him. 

Guess they'll just have to settle for Andrei Vasilevskiy who currently has a 1.92 GAA, a 0.939 SV% and makes 3.5 million a year.

I understand the offense is what is flashy and what is marketed. I have said that I do not think Price is worth his contract, that is not the point of my post. However, I think goalies don't get enough respect. The Canucks had an amazing team in the WCE era and we all know how that went, so I would say goaltending is very important part of winning a cup. Tampa hasn't won a cup with Vasilevskiy yet (although I'm rooting for them) and many goalies have had great regular seasons and falter in the playoffs. Of course, the goalie will take the brunt of the blame even if the offense runs dry too (or run into a hot goaltender). Price, at the time of signing his contract, was one of the best goalies in the league. Would I have offered the contract that he got? Definitely not, but they have a crazy GM and why wouldn't Price take that offer? No other goalie is getting that offer (and clearly people think no goalie is deserving of it).

Going by your logic:

Connor McDavid - 0 cups, starting next season making 12.5 million a year.

Alex Ovechkin - 0 cups, makes 10 million.

Are they worth it?

I went to a few games because I wanted to see Luongo. There were plenty of LUUUU chants, so I think they enjoyed watching him making highlight reel saves also. If fans only cared about the offense, then they might as well just remove goalies and play with empty nets, that will boost the offense for sure!

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He's not going anywhere with that contract.  Like ever.  Montreal would need to retain a minimum of 2.5 million for the duration just to make anyone even consider it.  Price is one of if not the best, but we're now in a league where Roy alone doesn't win you a cup like he did in 93.  The greatest player at any one position is useless without the surrounding cast and $10.5 million doesn't get you squat left over for support

I agree with this and unfortunately that is the situation they put themselves in and they shouldn't be looking at moving Price. The cap will slowly creep up and they will be able to fit in more talent. They probably need have a couple of off years, make sure the drafting is gold in those two years and have a quick rebuild. They need a competent GM (French speaking or not) that can pull this off. They seriously need a plan to work around Price right now and really the only saving grace is having cheap talent to step up.

4 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Did he win a cup?

He gave his team a chance to get into the playoffs. So many scorers haven't won a cup yet including our very own Canucks who when they were the greatest show on the ice, couldn't get the goaltending it needed to steal some games in the Finals (still pains me as I'm such a big Luongo/Schneirder fan). In 2015, Carey Price was the winner of the Ted Lindsay, Jennings, Vezina and Hart trophies, becoming the first goaltender in NHL history to win all four individual awards in the same season so clearly, was valued by so many people. That's a pretty insane achievement.

17 hours ago, SliteriousBlackbeard said:

I would not pay him 8.5. Stamkos makes 8.5. Crosby makes 8.7. Malkin makes 1 million more. Ovechkin makes 1.5 million more. Take away McDavid he's worth maybe 5-6.5 million. Just my opinion.

Stamkos is only making 8.5 because he is in Tampa. Any other state/city and Stamkos is making 10+ probably 12+ a year. Crosby and Malkin both have contracts that were signed ages ago. Ovechkin signing now would be getting 13-14 million. McDavid didn't do anything against Anaheim in the playoffs it was ALL Draisaitl. He could have gotten 10.5/year and Edmonton got him at 8.5. No matter how you look at it Draisaitl has a great contract. 

11 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Stamkos is only making 8.5 because he is in Tampa. Any other state/city and Stamkos is making 10+ probably 12+ a year. Crosby and Malkin both have contracts that were signed ages ago. Ovechkin signing now would be getting 13-14 million. McDavid didn't do anything against Anaheim in the playoffs it was ALL Draisaitl. He could have gotten 10.5/year and Edmonton got him at 8.5. No matter how you look at it Draisaitl has a great contract. 

This 

20 hours ago, SliteriousBlackbeard said:

To Montreal: 
Draisaitl, Talbot and a 1st 

To Edmonton: 
Price and Galchenyuk 

This deal makes the most sense. It gets Edmonton a true number 1 goalie and they get rid of the terrible contract in Leon. Also,  Keeps fans at the arena. 

Montreal gets a 1st round that will be in top ten which is always good. But it makes the most sense because they need to rebuild and Price is not in those plans. With the 1st from Edmonton and there first (if they have it) and Leon that's three top ten picks. That's a boost to the rebuild right off the hop.

Send Leon's terrible contract this way, any time, please.

20 hours ago, rekker said:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Carey-Price-to-Thurs-Buzzcast/1/90071

Oh man here we go. I called this a dumb contract from day one. Too long, too much, and for goodness sake bad timing. Rebuild time for the Habs. A great goalie now worth next to nothing on the trade market thanks to the contract. Sheesh. Sound familiar?

You know what is dumber than the contract?   Eklund, his website, and the people that go to his website.  

Nothing legit to see here people.  

Move along. 

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

Disagree. Fun to speculate and a relative subject about  Canadian team. But ya....Eks a bit of a flake. 

Totally fun to speculate on. I agree with you.

Eklund is the flake that even flakes don't want to be referred to as.

Archived