The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your 2011 memories

cuporbust

Hey guys. As some know , and maybe some dont , i've  been around here a while. Just reminiscing about the best year I had so far as a nucks fan , and am wondering what memories u guys have of 2011?

Thought it might be fun to create a thread of CDC S media memories of one of the most exciting years in nucks history. Here are a few from my vault that I posted on YouTube of one of the best years I ever had with my friends watching the team. This is why I love hockey :)

Anyone else have media or memories they would like to share ?

Not 2011, but I have all Canuck games on VCR from the 94 cup run, first to last game.

So obvious we were screwed over in that one. Goals not counted because they were in the glove and the glove was at the back of the net, but couldn't see the puck because it was in the glove. The replay never shown a second time.

Larmer trips over his own two feet, slaps his stick on the ice, no Canuck within 10 feet of him, but a penalty given Babych.

Hedican given a major boarding penalty for hitting the player 15 feet, just about the face off dot from the boards, player fell into the boards and Hedican no where near him.

Ref (Gregson)  watches Bure elbowed in the head way behind the play by Beukeboom and Bure has to leave the ice staggering, no call.

Goals called off because Linden's skate crosses into the crease area in the air by about 1/2 inch when he is hooked, but Lister bowls over Maclean when he has the puck covered and all go into the net and it counts, Lister was not being checked by anyone skated straight in.

Lindedn being cross checked in the head by Messier twice when Linden is on his knees crawling back to the bench after being blindsided (head shot) when he didn't have the puck.

Even Quinn commented (after a few) at a reunion that the team was shafted and mentioned how many teams were in expansion after that series, how good is was for the NHL after all the Nucks wouldn't have been invited to all the TV shows etc.

I worked during Vancouver/Chicago game 7. My shift ended around the end of the third period. I'd been keeping tabs on the game all night long, and when I saw Chicago tied the game and sent it to OT, I literally ran the entire way home and made it just in time for the start of OT. As soon as I sat down, Luongo made that save on Sharp. Then when Burrows scored, I just about exploded. Never cheered so hard in my life. Had a sore throat the next day haha.

I went to game 5 of the conference finals with a good friend. We were lower bowl, behind Lou's net for the odd numbered periods, had pretty much the same view as the camera for the game-winner. It was far enough away that I couldn't tell Edler tried to dump the puck and it hit the stantion, I though he just passed to Bieksa, but close enough to watch the puck bounce and trickle its way past Niemi.

That building erupted, it was magical. We yelled until our voices wouldn't let us anymore and watched the trophy presentation. 

After the game we poured onto the streets, the mood was incredible, pure happyness and excitment. VPD had blocked off a few streets and were not enforcing open alcohol laws, the party was awesome. So long as you weren't being beligerant, you could high-five an officer with an open beer in the other hand. We saw a dark haired man with a chubby face in a Sharks jersey, looked just like Kyle Wellwood. He was getting called to "hey Kyle! Better luck next year" by many in the crowd. He was a good sport about it. After that it gets kinda fuzzy, woke up in our hotel around 10 the next day with a splitting headache. 

What a great night.

The 2011 playoffs were such an emotional ordeal for me that it forced me to evaluate my priorities and how seriously I took hockey. A regret I have came in game 7 against the Hawks. After Toews scored the shorty to tie it, I became so stressed that I couldn't make myself watch the game, so I went around the corner, near enough to hear my brother cheer, but I wasn't watching at the time. Those playoffs had a surprising effect on me and I think future playoff runs like that would be slightly different to me, having experienced that first one now.

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The 2011 playoffs were such an emotional ordeal for me that it forced me to evaluate my priorities and how seriously I took hockey. A regret I have came in game 7 against the Hawks. After Toews scored the shorty to tie it, I became so stressed that I couldn't make myself watch the game, so I went around the corner, near enough to hear my brother cheer, but I wasn't watching at the time. Those playoffs had a surprising effect on me and I think future playoff runs like that would be slightly different to me, having experienced that first one now.

I'm with you AJ. 

2011 hardened me and I haven't been the same since.

For me it actually started with the 1994 run. That Cup final wrecked me. Sadly I couldn't even watch game 7. I just lay on the bed in another room while game was going on.

20 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I was at a friend's house watching that game. He'd just had a big family dinner so the room around the TV was packed. After Toews scored, no one spoke, it seem like no one even breathed it was so quiet. When Burr took the penalty in OT you could feel the tension in the room, and the collective relief when we killed it off. When Burrows ended it the whole room jumped at once, my friend's grandmother started crying. She was overcome by how happy the whole family was. We cracked a big bottle of champagne and celebrated by watching the game highlights about 10 times.

My best memory is actually more of a feeling I had the entire year. We could be down 3-0, I just knew we were gonna win. I miss that feeling and I can’t wait until it’s back, and faster than most expect. 

If i have to pinpoint one moment though, its between Daniels between the legs goal or Burrows slaying the dragon 

I remember after Toews scored to tie game 7. I couldn't sit down during the intermission, I was literally pacing around my house the entire intermission until the start of OT.

That save Luongo made on Sharp was incredible, you could see the pass was going to be coming across before it happened, right as Bieksa went down I thought it was over but Luongo got across. 

Then of course me and my mom jumping up & down cheering when Burrows scored. Great times. 

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Not 2011, but I have all Canuck games on VCR from the 94 cup run, first to last game.

So obvious we were screwed over in that one. Goals not counted because they were in the glove and the glove was at the back of the net, but couldn't see the puck because it was in the glove. The replay never shown a second time.

Larmer trips over his own two feet, slaps his stick on the ice, no Canuck within 10 feet of him, but a penalty given Babych.

Hedican given a major boarding penalty for hitting the player 15 feet, just about the face off dot from the boards, player fell into the boards and Hedican no where near him.

Ref (Gregson)  watches Bure elbowed in the head way behind the play by Beukeboom and Bure has to leave the ice staggering, no call.

Goals called off because Linden's skate crosses into the crease area in the air by about 1/2 inch when he is hooked, but Lister bowls over Maclean when he has the puck covered and all go into the net and it counts, Lister was not being checked by anyone skated straight in.

Lindedn being cross checked in the head by Messier twice when Linden is on his knees crawling back to the bench after being blindsided (head shot) when he didn't have the puck.

Even Quinn commented (after a few) at a reunion that the team was shafted and mentioned how many teams were in expansion after that series, how good is was for the NHL after all the Nucks wouldn't have been invited to all the TV shows etc.

No really good memories of 2011. 94' was maddening but very exciting for two months straight. I only sat on the "edge" of the couch for the entire playoffs.

Archived