The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your 2011 memories

cuporbust

I remember that feeling I had after the Canucks won the first two games of the finals. I thought the team was pretty much guaranteed the cup. We just had to win two more out of five opportunities. In my mind, two key factors led to their loss. The first was Hamhuis' injury in Game 1 that caught up to the defensive core, and the second being the game misconduct and lengthy suspension to Rome in Game 3, further depleting the defense and shifting the momentum.

wow 2011 was crazy, watching every game not thinking, but knowing they were probably going to win. 116 points, and absolute league-wide domination in every category imaginable.

The thing is though once Malhotra went down we were definitely a different team, injuries were our downfall, 75% of our team was playing injured and we had guys like Tanev, Bolduc, Glass and Hodgson playing serious minutes. Such a depressing way to lose in the final, blow a 2 game lead and have just an abysmal performance in game 7

2011 is a blur, though some of the more obvious plays stick out. The Dragonslayer, Kesler soloing the Preds, off the stanchion ("you just gotta laugh."), and of course Lappy getting that Game 5 winner. I have not seen Game 7, nor do I want to.

On 06/01/2018 at 2:05 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Not 2011, but I have all Canuck games on VCR from the 94 cup run, first to last game.

So obvious we were screwed over in that one. Goals not counted because they were in the glove and the glove was at the back of the net, but couldn't see the puck because it was in the glove. The replay never shown a second time.

Larmer trips over his own two feet, slaps his stick on the ice, no Canuck within 10 feet of him, but a penalty given Babych.

Hedican given a major boarding penalty for hitting the player 15 feet, just about the face off dot from the boards, player fell into the boards and Hedican no where near him.

Ref (Gregson)  watches Bure elbowed in the head way behind the play by Beukeboom and Bure has to leave the ice staggering, no call.

Goals called off because Linden's skate crosses into the crease area in the air by about 1/2 inch when he is hooked, but Lister bowls over Maclean when he has the puck covered and all go into the net and it counts, Lister was not being checked by anyone skated straight in.

Lindedn being cross checked in the head by Messier twice when Linden is on his knees crawling back to the bench after being blindsided (head shot) when he didn't have the puck.

Even Quinn commented (after a few) at a reunion that the team was shafted and mentioned how many teams were in expansion after that series, how good is was for the NHL after all the Nucks wouldn't have been invited to all the TV shows etc.

The cross checks to Momesso s neck by Messier are my personal faves.  Wonder why we weren't so excited to have him skate a circle from just inside the blue line to just over the other blue line for a couple years in a Van uni.   

It’s actually tough to put that experience into words. 

The Dragon Slayer and Kesler’s Nashville series were my favourite memories of 2011, meaning the playoffs. But it stoped when they went into Boston.

Then, it was like watching a prison sex rape scene, the way the Bruins mandled the Canucks to take the series. To top it off, after the bullying was over, the rioters in Vancouver managed to emasculate the team identity even further for me.

The way they lost, combined with the human-filth rioters, is what I took away from that loss and what I remember most about 2011. Then we had to see this sentiment at every turn:

5EB0E279-F588-4989-8117-CA56E1328781.png.8e1faf66b193ab540a9b0a827231b321.png

I don't miss that at all.

The city and the team lost respect. 

I like the team’s character better today today than I did in 2012.

To each, their own. 

42 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It’s actually tough to put that experience into words. 

The Dragon Slayer and Kesler’s Nashville series were my favourite memories of 2011, meaning the playoffs. But it stoped when they went into Boston.

Then, it was like watching a prison sex rape scene, the way the Bruins mandled the Canucks to take the series. To top it off, after the bullying was over, the rioters in Vancouver managed to emasculate the team identity even further for me.

The way they lost, combined with the human-filth rioters, is what I took away from that loss and what I remember most about 2011. Then we had to see this sentiment at every turn:

5EB0E279-F588-4989-8117-CA56E1328781.png.8e1faf66b193ab540a9b0a827231b321.png

I don't miss that at all.

The city and the team lost respect. 

I like the team’s character better today today than I did in 2012.

To each, their own. 

BS, I enjoyed every second of it up until the train crashed...truthfully I had the time of my life...It was a party every other day but unlike the idiots that damaged my city, We helped clean it up!

I don’t remember any of the stuff you guys are talking about.

What’s this about a 2011 playoff run?

As I remember things, late in the regular season, the NHLPA started hearing from players who didn’t want to face Vancouver in the playoffs. Many were impending free agents and they worried that the inevitable spanking they’d take from the Canucks would lower their value and hurt their next paycheques.

Similarly, teams didn’t want to have to face the possibility of a series against Vancouver. They felt it was bad enough playing single regular season games against the Canucks. Fans would be shook and take time to recover from seeing their teams look so helpless and pitiful in the face of Vancouver’s dominance. Teams didn’t want anything to do with a best-of-seven series (even if it would only require four games).

So, for the betterment of the league, Jeremy Jacobs and Colin Campbell partnered together and selflessly devoted their time to developing an emergency plan that would serve the best interests of all parties involved.

The final day of the regular season, the NHL Board of Governors and the NHLPA both voted unanimously to cancel the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Lord Stanley would be awarded to the Presidents’ Trophy winning Vancouver Canucks.

Everyone understood that playoffs were just a formality anyway. The Canucks were just that good. And none of the other teams really had the stomach to play Vancouver.

So everyone happily agreed to just crown the Canucks the winners and start their summers early.

The Sedins were declared co-winners of the Conn Smythe. They also received the Order of Canada, Presidential Medal Of Freedom, Knight Commanders of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Seraphim Medal, and Illis Quorum.

Parades were held in all 30 NHL cities, and many places around the world, to honour Vancouver’s historic victory. The Canucks became the most beloved franchise in all of sports. Summer 2011 was one long party with everyone across the globe celebrating Vancouver’s victory.

At least that’s what I remember.

But I’m starting to think I might’ve blocked something out and maybe overwritten it with a false memory?

I remember the regular season being an absolute romp. 

The first round of playoffs being incredibly frustrating overall. Building an "insurmountable" 3-0 series lead and in the end barely winning against a team that backed into the playoffs. In my opinion this series set the tone for the rest of the postseason. The Canucks wasted just too much gas (mentally and physically) getting past Chicago when they should've won in 4 or 5.

The second round took a game too long if you ask me. It was nice to finally break through that second-round glass ceiling though.

The third round went as well as could be expected and the climax was legendary. Although the whole ticker-tape celebration afterward was a bit overdone; we hadn't won anything yet really.

The final series was great until game 3, after which I just had a sinking feeling that the rest of the series wasn't going to go our way. I remember the headline in the Province newspaper the next day - it was a picture of a group of stunned looking people with the headline above reading 'Boston Massacre'. At an 8-1 score in a finals playoff game no less, that's exactly what it was, and that was the beginning of the end as it turned out.

The rest of the series was a waking nightmare (aside from the 5th game) where nothing went right. The team couldn't score to save their lives and the defense and goaltending was awful at best. We all know how it ended. It was almost the perfect season, except for that last game.

I was working overnights at the time so I was able to see the last game unfold. I remember actually sobbing a bit on the drive to work. Listening to Dan Russel's show on the radio all night and all that was talked about into the wee hours of the morning was the riot. Talk about adding insult to injury; the riot was not what anybody needed. I believe the show that night carried on until about 6am, with only the last hour or two having any discussion about hockey. 

That's my memory of 2011. There were some amazing highs for sure, but the ultimate low of coming so close and losing after such a terrific season clouded that over for me. Like a great book or movie with a really sh**ty, unsatisfying ending.

Burrows goal was great. Bieskas goals was hilarious because nobody knew where the puck was until it was in the net... I recall the San Jose series on the radio and the canucks scary power play with salo and erhoff.

I guess I'll share my worst memory as well was the realisation we has nothing against Boston's forecheck... just chip it up the ice for a turnover... felt like it was just a matter of time and it was... was a terrible feeling.

2011. Hurts still. Was a kid in 82. 94 to me was unexpected so I got over it eventually. Lafayette and Messier kill me. 2011 I may never get over it till we win a cup. When I see hilites on TV I turn the channel. I have a book on the playoff run that I can't open. When I hear Adel-Rolling In the Deep I turn it off. Reminds me of CBC's montages. Hilites were Burrs big goals and when Beiksa scored against SJ, turned, and the camera caught what I thought he said. "We're going to the &^@#in cup. Pains me even typing this all now. Therapy I suppose. 

Archived